Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know how to wire our insane cars up for a push to start button so instead of twisting key all the way forward I want to put key in the run position press a button and it starts up any info is appreciated

·
Registered
758 Posts
First...
The security factor is an issue... these cars were not made to have this kind of function... if you were to actually do this you would have to bypass the mild security that the car has to make it a push button start..

Not worth it for a seriously minor inconvenience of turning a key

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand it?s lame but I?m hiding the button so only I can start the car

·
Registered
933 Posts
Get a wiring diagram. Find the "start" wire in the ignition switch. Add momentary for actual start.

P.S. Don't be under the illusion that even with a push button start that "only you" can start the car. To ensure that is a lot more work involving hidden switches and interrupting the fuel, spark, or both.

It would be child's play to hotwire these cars, and no I'm not going to describe how.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I understand it?s lame but I?m hiding the button so only I can start the car
I'm not saying it's lame.... but what I don't think your not understanding is some of the security systems in place that you would have to bypass... mainly the passlock which serves 2 functions...
1 Locks the steering wheel in place...
2 it has a computer chip inside of it

Now the chip does something that I am not 100% sure of but I do know that it communicates with the BCM in some way...

You would have to bypass both of those for sure to do what your asking...
I have seen similar posts on the cobalt forums with no real success if I remember correctly....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I dug into it and had to reset my computer because the car locked me out might have to get a bypass (the same thing remote starts use)

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is just like turning a car on and off using a key unique to the driver. All I know is the Push button start is simply pressing and holding a button. But, you should make it sure that you have the smart key inside the car ,to start the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts