Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the dreaded power steering warning, been bothering me for a couple months.....in the beginning no change in feel and no issues other that the occasional warning on the dash. This changed about a month ago when I really started to notice a sticky feeling in the steering wheel travel. This quickly got worse to the point where after completing a turn it would take a little effort to return the wheel to center instead of it just floating through your hand like normal in any car. The warnings also became more frequent, so I thought I was dealing with failing electronics. This all got bad enough this weekend that I tried cleaning the EPS motor but that did nothing. Finally had the motor totally spazz out on me trying to leave my driveway, lots of noise coming from under the dash. Pulled car back in garage, put the window down to try and hear more, and while parked with engine on I turned the steering wheel back and forth. Heard a pretty loud clunk then no power steering at all, zero. Pulled EPS motor back off to investigate, it has a broken shaft. WTH. I buy new motor from dealer and install it hoping everything will be ok and back to normal. Nope. New motor spazzy as well. Jack front end of car up and turn steering wheel through full motion and I feel binding (engine off). Can’t be EPS system binding since car was off. Crawl under car, spot super rusty looking u-joint on steering shaft. Soak it with penetrating oil. 10 minutes later the steering in my car feels like a brand new car, never felt this good before, no motor issues. Problem solved. Time to replace steering shaft for permanent fix.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts