Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, had the Quiafe in the car for 500 miles, so I figured it was time to test it. It's awesome! If I get on the throttle in mid-corner, there is the slightest blip of the inside tire, then the outside tire yanks the car around the corner. Pulls harder on straights and in turns. Well worth it, in my opinion. I'm trying it out at an autocross this weekend, and I'm expecting good things... :D

Cheers! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
HOLY CRAP :eek: maybe thats goin to come a little further down the line that I thought hahahahaha are they producing this kit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
I wonder if you get it through the dealer if its any cheaper (on the comp package). Positive although, makes me want to get it more :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Does it help cut down on wheel spin during launching or is it more of a "around corners" performance enhancement?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
You BASTARD! :D

It helps one launching too JPK, its forcing the wheel with most traction to take most of the power. With equal length 1/2 shafts, it should make launching a whole different ballgame. You might need to feather the gas and clutch a little bit right on take off, but it's a lot easier to hammer it now for him.

Saturn told me $1400 for the parts, 9 hours labor at $70(?)/hour. So they're telling me around $2,000, but he wouldn't guarantee that price yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sp00ner said:
You BASTARD! :D

It helps one launching too JPK, its forcing the wheel with most traction to take most of the power. With equal length 1/2 shafts, it should make launching a whole different ballgame. You might need to feather the gas and clutch a little bit right on take off, but it's a lot easier to hammer it now for him.

Saturn told me $1400 for the parts, 9 hours labor at $70(?)/hour. So they're telling me around $2,000, but he wouldn't guarantee that price yet.
It's more like $1700 for parts (1445 for LSD and around 250-300 for misc. others) because of certain seals and one time use pieces that have to be replaced. It took six days for the install due to having to order certain parts from Tenn. everytime they needed them. So, I'd expect it to baloon to about 2500 once they open up the car and see specifically what needs to be done.

I had to wait an extra day for a darn o-ring that wouldn't seal properly for the hydrolic clutch. They had to order the part and wait to get it, even thought the rest of the car was all put together. :mad:

BTW, it does help is launches, too, but you can tell a greater difference in turns. Even so, the car, even though stock, still has to power to spin both wheels with the LSD. SO you still have to feather the throttle sometimes, but overall, the grip level is DRAMATICALLY increased.

Overall, the guy that put it in was very professional and, since I used to be a tech at a dealer, talked to me about what needed to be done, and what problems he experienced, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I've been told I'm the first (public) person to own a Redline with the LSD. Sweet! :D






Unless, someone else has one...if you do let me know.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
I assume that you had to pay that cash? Or can you work something out with them as far as adding it to your payments or anything? $2,500 is alot for me to come up with at once, but if you want to play you gotta pay! I wish I had any kind of money management skills!

Is there a break in period on one of those? I noticed you waited 500 miles before getting on it hard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, you can't add it to your payments. Once the loan is done, it's done.

Technically, there is no break in period, but since some of the seals were new, I wanted to give them a few miles to settle before really getting on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
EvenStar said:
I wonder if you get it through the dealer if its any cheaper (on the comp package). Positive although, makes me want to get it more :D
The dealership told me as of now, they dont think you will be able to upgrade your current upgrade to the competion package, or even buy individual parts of it. Hopefully he was either wrong, or it changes :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
BlackRedline04 said:
The dealership told me as of now, they dont think you will be able to upgrade your current upgrade to the competion package, or even buy individual parts of it. Hopefully he was either wrong, or it changes :mad:
That's what my salesman told me multiple times. In one sense, I can see where he's coming from. But I don't see why if you really wanted it bad enough, why they wouldn't let you pay the 2g's at least to have the dealership do it. I hope that they'll at least be able to do the fog lights and boost gauge for now for not too much....then I'll just save up for the LSD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
When you have to have the newest and the best, you'll pay stupid money for something. I guess I've just matured at 41, but with a Honda Civic Quaife setup, it's $450 for parts, so I'm thinking that after Quaife triples its profit margins on guys like you guys, dropping $2,000-2,500 on an LSD, they'll sell 'em for $500 and I can have one in the car for under $800, all done.

That's also why I don't buy the $150 Nike sneaks right as they hit Foot Locker - I wait 3 months until they're on sale for $59.99...

Reminds me of the joke about the old bull and the young bull, on top of a hill, looking down at the herd of cows....

I'll finish the joke if you like -
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
When you have to have the newest and the best, you'll pay stupid money for something. I guess I've just matured at 41, but with a Honda Civic Quaife setup, it's $450 for parts, so I'm thinking that after Quaife triples its profit margins on guys like you guys, dropping $2,000-2,500 on an LSD, they'll sell 'em for $500 and I can have one in the car for under $800, all done.

That's also why I don't buy the $150 Nike sneaks right as they hit Foot Locker - I wait 3 months until they're on sale for $59.99...

Reminds me of the joke about the old bull and the young bull, on top of a hill, looking down at the herd of cows....

I'll finish the joke if you like -
Well, the unit they're selling has been around for a couple of years already, it's the same one in the Saab. Dosen't seem like they're making money off Saabs, or they're just gonna keep the price high. There was quite a few of those diffs on the Quiafe site that were pretty pricey. I don't remember which ones anymore, but they weren't all $450 for cars that had been out for a few years. The ones for the older S-Series are still listed at $1800 from SPS, and those things have been selling for years. I think it's gonna stay pretty high until they start moving large numbers of the device. With 7,500 total cars, some already with the LSD option, that's not alot of sales. I'm sure the Cobalt will figure in, maybe in a year or so, but don't think it's gonna get that cheap, at least not until this time next year. I hope I'm wrong, believe me! I'm gonna have to wait a while anyway, but when I'm ready, I hope you're completely right Jim!

Edited: I'm also assuming that you got that price from somewhere other than Quiafe since it's listed at $995 on their site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sp00ner said:
Well, the unit they're selling has been around for a couple of years already, it's the same one in the Saab. Dosen't seem like they're making money off Saabs, or they're just gonna keep the price high. There was quite a few of those diffs on the Quiafe site that were pretty pricey. I don't remember which ones anymore, but they weren't all $450 for cars that had been out for a few years. The ones for the older S-Series are still listed at $1800 from SPS, and those things have been selling for years. I think it's gonna stay pretty high until they start moving large numbers of the device. With 7,500 total cars, some already with the LSD option, that's not alot of sales. I'm sure the Cobalt will figure in, maybe in a year or so, but don't think it's gonna get that cheap, at least not until this time next year. I hope I'm wrong, believe me! I'm gonna have to wait a while anyway, but when I'm ready, I hope you're completely right Jim!

Edited: I'm also assuming that you got that price from somewhere other than Quiafe since it's listed at $995 on their site.

Bingo. It's all about volume. They make a boatload of LSDs for Civic, etc. But there are less than 3000(?) Ion Redlines on the road, so they are not being mass produced. And, as far as I know, the Saab guys are not too interested in buying them. I wouldn't expect the price to drop too much, and if you buy from a GM dealer, it will be MORE, be sure of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Man this car is sucking my wallet dry. I'm going to have to get one soon. The toss up is horsepower or LSD. hmmm tough one. I need to take a loan out for about 10K and get everything and then a few more things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Lsd

I am looking at a LSD for my Redline as well. I work at Saturn in the Parts dept so I can get a good discount on the parts and labor. I typed in the Part Number for the diff, 55558920, List price is $2,024, I can get it for $1,397 w my discount. Is that all we need to get a LSD just that differential?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
hbko181 said:
I am looking at a LSD for my Redline as well. I work at Saturn in the Parts dept so I can get a good discount on the parts and labor. I typed in the Part Number for the diff, 55558920, List price is $2,024, I can get it for $1,397 w my discount. Is that all we need to get a LSD just that differential?
You can get it cheaper than that from the manufacturer! It was a MSRP of $1,495 on the website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hbko181 said:
I am looking at a LSD for my Redline as well. I work at Saturn in the Parts dept so I can get a good discount on the parts and labor. I typed in the Part Number for the diff, 55558920, List price is $2,024, I can get it for $1,397 w my discount. Is that all we need to get a LSD just that differential?

No, there are some one time seals that need to be replaced and shims to buy also. A couple bolts, and odds and ends, but nothing really weird. The only problem is when you need a part, no one has it in stock and you have to order it from Tenn. :mad:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top