Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an issue with my brakes squeaking under approximately 10% brake pressure for awhile. It seems to come and go on different wheels as I change the pressure for each one.

I replaced the brake pads and had the rotors turned but I neglected to buy any kind of anti chatter (dumb mistake I know). I thought it was just the pads weren't making symmetrical contact but then today I heard something I thought I was imagining. The squeak actually occured when I wasn't braking but finishing making a turn.

I think that it is my rotors being inconsistently attached to the hub. I went to the local autopart store but they didn't have any pushnuts to keep the rotor flush with the hub and so I just carefully reused the ones I originally had and thought they'd be fine.

So my first thoughts are...does anybody know what size the push nuts are that attach our rotor to the suspension assembly (what ive been calling the hub). I got an assortment of sizes but they were either too large or too small....so I was hoping to find the exact size.

Either way if I cant figure this out i'll just put on my new Hawk pads and stoptech rotors from dezod's 'grp buy' that wasn't getting much love. Any suggestions will be considered and appreciated. My level of experience is pretty low so explain things in great detail. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
The rotor is help to the hub by the force of the wheel. Are you torquing the lug nuts? I believe the torque is 105 ft-lbs. You should not need anything else to hold the rotors on.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
you might have warped the rotors after cutting them.

you might also have a wheel bearing going out.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
:rofl:

pads down to wearbars? doncha love internet diagnosing? wtf:rofl:
i hope his pads aren't down to the wear bars yet...he said he just replaced them. if they are, then easy diag: frozen calipers

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:rofl:

pads down to wearbars? doncha love internet diagnosing? wtf:rofl:
If I managed to wear out a set of ceramic pads in less than 4 months with only around 4,000 miles....well then I seriously need to consider some driving style changes....I haven't looked at them but they don't squeal very often like they do when they meet the wear bars. Granted they were a cheap fix because I needed them DONE asap and hence why I bought the brake package for replacement of my thin rotors and cheap ass pads.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but like I said its not the pads im worried about. The fact that when I am NOT using the brakes and go around a corner I have heard the squealing lately. Them being the sound comes from one of the wheel area's. Haven't been able to figure out which one yet, need to take some time with a passenger etc etc.

Cheap pads=more noise yeah..no doubt. How would I know if a wheel bearing were going out? Any way to check other then to listen if it is squeaking.. and what is a general price range on a wheel bearing anyways? Never replaced one or looked at one.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Yeah, but like I said its not the pads im worried about. The fact that when I am NOT using the brakes and go around a corner I have heard the squealing lately. Them being the sound comes from one of the wheel area's. Haven't been able to figure out which one yet, need to take some time with a passenger etc etc.

Cheap pads=more noise yeah..no doubt. How would I know if a wheel bearing were going out? Any way to check other then to listen if it is squeaking.. and what is a general price range on a wheel bearing anyways? Never replaced one or looked at one.
wheel bearing will show up as a growl or grind sound as the wheel spins (if it's early you might need a screwdriver or stethoscope to listen to the steering knuckle area) it can also have play if you jack the wheel off the ground and push/pull the bottom of the tire inwards and outwards from the middle of the car. you can also pound the bottom of the tire with your fist or a hammer while it's up in the air and listen for metallic sounds. you can use the other side, which presumably doesn't have play, for comparison.

this play can cause the hub/rotor to angle slightly when loaded (as in cornering) which would cause the rotor to scrape one of the pads in the caliper since the caliper is fixed to the knuckle.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well figured that I would give an update, been awhile. I finally got around to installing my Hawk HPS pads with the Stoptech Rotors (slotted only) that I purchased from Dezod. Install went smoothly and looks great. It fixed the squealing I was describing in this thread. I thought that it was simply the pads and rotors making contact after braking for the turns. Since i've had the new brakes (pads/rotors) on I haven't heard any of that previous squeal that was progressively getting worse. I'll try and post up pics of all the new work since the start of the post it's been (in order) New Tires, New Rotors/Pads, and today was the HID install. Gotta get my lights adjusted down some though, do that tomorrow since I don't drive at night often its not a huge rush. Pics to come.

Thanks to everybody who chimed in with thoughts on the issue!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the same issue. Thought it was the brakes but it was the bearing.

Ordered mine from Amazon of all places and it was only $130.00.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same issue. Thought it was the brakes but it was the bearing.

Ordered mine from Amazon of all places and it was only $130.00.

Glad mine was just the brakes then. Was always intending to replace them soon since the stock rotors were at tolerance when I had them turned and since I wanted to do it quickly I just bought some chitty pads from the auto store.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had this issue too, just last week.

It turns out the metal clips that hold the brake pads in the caliper area they were sticking out, and were sometimes catching on the rotor making a metal on metal contact every now and then causing an annoying squeakish sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts