Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just purchased a '96 SC2 and I was wondering if you guys have any information on common problems with them or anything we should know. Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Is that the longer, newer style, or the shorter, older style?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
uhhhhh...lol. It has the body stylin of a good woman (when standing at the front of the car, the front is wide, goes narrow near the doors and wide at the ass end again with the flip head lights). Ill try to find a pic as he is at school.
*Edit*
This is his car..

·
Registered
49 Posts
you have the first gen style. if it is an auto beware of the valve body. they like to get bad on them. signs that its going bad include hesitant shifting into reverse. other than that there are no major problems other than that anything can go wrong with the car. it is a saturn after all. i had a 96 sc2. a few things went bad on it like the sunroof tracks, the tps sensor, the map sensor, the window regulators, the valve body, and some more things i can't remember. i loved mine though.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
My '01 SC2 had terrible brakes, a few other Saturn owners I met said similar things, and the tech at the dealership admitted they were not the most durable things out there. I replaced them with some slotted rotors, but they still warped kinda fast. Can't even turn those! So I would recommend some good aftermarket rotors. I believe you're up north, pretty damn far, so cross-drilled ones might be out of the question. Same with the pads, once I changed my rotors and pads, to ones that were not REAL high-performance, the increase in stopping power is quite large. Not only straight line stopping, but repeated stops no longer made me twitch. The stockers were good for one, MAYBE two 'panic' stops before the fade was terrible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Watch out for a falling diff pin, too. There are more than a few people that have experienced this and lost a tranny because of it. You can weld the pin, but that's not a permanent fix for it because it can still go under heavy driving. Saturnfans.com and saturnmotorsports.com have a bunch of knowledgeable people that will be more than happy to help you out w/ any questions.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the imput guys and yes Spooner, I do live way the hell up there (lol...gotta love our 70 degree weather change in 2 months...lol)

jparf said:
sunroof tracks
His car does have the power sunroof, but when you push the button absolutly nothing happens (fuse is still good) and there is no noise that we can hear. Could that be his problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
his sunroof motor is probably shot then. when my sunroof tracks went it just wouldn't close all the way. it would open and it would try to close but alas, no closing would happen. the dealer will charge an arm and a leg so try and go to a junkyard for a new one or pay for a new one from the dealer and do it yourself. how do you do it you ask? i have no clue, sorry.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, thanks. I am sure me and my dad can figure it out when we get time (we've owned for a total of 2hrs now of which it has been at my bros school for 1.75hrs...lol) I am very impressed with the car so far though and it runs and sounds great and I am just trying to cover the bases so we know what to look for when we get time. Again, thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i also have a 97 sc2 it is the shit cold air and full exsust love it west wings lip kit and sprint lowering springs and matching 17' 50 shot of nos got to love it fryed pision ring and have a rod knock in the middle of pulling it apart to build it alittle port a little polish and alot of cams and a little balncing and real high reves and low quater mile time hope u love the car too

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
XeroState said:
Wow, I forgot I made this thread for my bro.....oh well.

1st gen SC2 with a few revisions. That 1.9 is a great engine. I would pit it up against most anything for reliability. I would recommend not putting a huge stereo in there. I did and I ended up changing out that alternator more than I would care to divulge. Other than that no real major problems. Pretty solid car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
the early saturns had a problem with the radiator cracking by the top right and left mounts b/c of it being plastic but best of luck to your bro with the sc2 go turbo

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
also there is this issue with the coolent sensor cracking (look on saturn fans for ECTS). Saturn switched in 99 or 00 to a ceramic style and it works fine. The symptoms of that sensor failing are really odd. The biggest symptom is low power and rough idle. I had a 95 with that issue and it never threw a code. The 96's and up might give you a code.

also any problems you get, check on saturnfans. you are probably not the first.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Yeah I forgot the radiator hosed me too...But 150 bucks later with a lifetime warranty, Benny was back in action! She's in the graveyard now though.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He isn't modding his. Had the head gasket problem that GM known is for and his sunroof breaking on him (not the glass, the rails...oh well, he never used it) so oh well.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Head gasket issue?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I think he means valve cover gasket because I've never heard of a head gasket issue. That's why I gambled on my 93 buying it from a schmuck who was told it was the head gasket....Kinda was almost right when it turned out to be a clogged injector....hmmm mechanics.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya thats what I meant, I got confused as I was talking to a friend who is having her geo's head gasket done...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts