Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 Ion Redline a few week ago, and I have a few questions:

1.) The previous owner only had one key. Are the keys chipped, or can I just have a locksmith cut a copy for me?

2.) The driver's side door lock doesn't feel like it is connected to anything. The key feels normal as it enters the tumbler, but once inserted, the tumbler rotates without engaging anything. So, to get in, I have to unlock the passenger door and then hit the power locks to open the driver's side door. Any ideas what the problem could be?

3.) Does my car have keyless entry? The option codes plate doesn't have "AU0: Lock Control, Entry-Remote Entry" or "AU3: Lock Control, Side Dr, Elec" on it, but the car does have power mirrors, locks, and windows. I picked up a keyless entry fob from E-bay, but I would rather figure out if my car actually has the option before I take it to a dealer to try to get it matched to the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have an 05 as well
1. Keys are not chipped. but I had an issue with the automatic key makers so you may want to go to a real key maker ( hard where store)

2. Cant help

3. I'm pretty sure key less entry came standard; according to edmunds. Dealer said it would cost 30 to have it programmed but ended up not charging me

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I got one from the dealer with the fob

they programmed it for me cost is a lot :surprise:

if you got the ignition recall then it might be ok for the key but they will throw your old key away if you go for the recall

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

I'll probably open up my door panels next week and see how it looks in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've called every mechanic on Oahu that looked promising, and none of them had a Tech2 tool to program the remote. It looks like I'll have to shell out $100 for a dealer to do it. Grrrr

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I remember having to get this when I picked up my redline 3 years ago

I was like, where is the key fob?????? :ninja:

think I paid more than hundred total for sure...

The only thing that was good though is you get that new car feeling when they give you your key and fob

--

and I was having some mishaps with the synchronization of lights locks and doors , after they programmed with the new fob

it has never malfunctioned again in 3 years

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the cheapest Chevy dealer, which was $80 OTD for 0.5 hours of billed labor.

Don't need Tech2, any decent shop level scan tool should be able to program it. Or call some locksmiths.
Can you give me a link to one of these scan tools that you expect will work?

I remember having to get this when I picked up my redline 3 years ago

I was like, where is the key fob?????? :ninja:
I honestly have no idea how people selling their cars manage to lose things like that with 100% consistency. I've never bought a used vehicle with more than one key coming with it. With the Redline, I was amazed that the spare tire and jack were still there. (Probably because the owner wasn't aware that they were below the trunk floor, and thus never had the chance to "lose" them.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts