Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yes the ZZP one. Wish they had them in red like they say they do.
Yeah me too, I also wanted red. I'll inquire when I order.

So final decision - FE5 shocks/struts with SSC lowering springs. There, now we should be good. The SSC has ION-specific springs so I should be alright without additional hardware and be happy. Ride might be a bit rough but I'll learn to deal with it I suppose.

:cowsmile:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You have 16" wheels. right? You'll be fine.
Actually Chicken man I upgraded to 17s. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 Asymmetric P225/45/R17 - same aspect ratio as my stock P205/50/R16 just wider.

Will the lower profile make it rough? Currently on stock it feels about the same.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Actually Chicken man I upgraded to 17s. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 Asymmetric P225/45/R17 - same aspect ratio as my stock P205/50/R16 just wider.

Will the lower profile make it rough? Currently on stock it feels about the same.

Will be rougher than what you have now but with the new struts/shocks you will be fine. I just replaced mine and did end links and im amazed at the difference in feel and all of the clunking is GONE. My BWoody links were toast.

Don't be surprised if you need top hats. You might wnt to see if your local parts place at least stocks them.

Are you have this stuff done somewhere or doin it yerself?

I love the white I wanna see a whole car pic.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
225/45/17 is fine. I felt like stock redline size 215/45 or 235/40 was harsh with the smaller sidewalls.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Will be rougher than what you have now but with the new struts/shocks you will be fine. I just replaced mine and did end links and im amazed at the difference in feel and all of the clunking is GONE. My BWoody links were toast.

Don't be surprised if you need top hats. You might wnt to see if your local parts place at least stocks them.

Are you have this stuff done somewhere or doin it yerself?

I love the white I wanna see a whole car pic.
I'm doing it myself 1313, which is why I am asking so many questions. Like I said, I'm not a pro but I'm relatively mechanically inclined and as long as I have the answers I need, the rest I can do on my own. Youtube and google are our friends. Also, obviously MUCH cheaper given the highway robbery that is shop labour rates.

So okay - I was REALLY hoping not to post any pics of my car until further along the project completion line but you've been super helpful so I guess I will.

I do love yer color though, Id love mine in white.
black is sexy too though
So WAY back in 2010 when I joined this forum my whole self-proclaimed claim to fame was my ION's colour. As you likely know, Redlines only came in Black, Red, Blue, and Silver. What made me unique was because I factory ordered ION3 with the available sport appearance package, I was able to get regular ION colours but with the awesome look of a Redline. And just like that, a WHITE factory Redline is born! (Well, not really. I still need to save up for this Chevy Ecotec 2.2 or 2.4 Bolt on Supercharger Kit | ZZPerformance Once I get it I will proudly apply my Redline decal - something I've been waiting years to do!

Here she is last year in Vegas (drove her all the way down there). Just a sneak peak, you'll have to wait until my further mods and upgrades are done before you see her in full!

p.s. Black IS sexy though, agreed. But can't argue with the uniqueness of being one of the few different coloured RLs!

225/45/17 is fine. I felt like stock redline size 215/45 or 235/40 was harsh with the smaller sidewalls.
17" was as big as I could go Chicken man - remember on IONs we're lameo 4-lug hubs and that's the biggest I could go (no 18s on 4-lug). Still, pretty sweet wheels that I purposely am not letting you see in profile yet!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'm doing it myself 1313, which is why I am asking so many questions. Like I said, I'm not a pro but I'm relatively mechanically inclined and as long as I have the answers I need, the rest I can do on my own. Youtube and google are our friends. Also, obviously MUCH cheaper given the highway robbery that is shop labour rates.

So okay - I was REALLY hoping not to post any pics of my car until further along the project completion line but you've been super helpful so I guess I will.

So WAY back in 2010 when I joined this forum my whole self-proclaimed claim to fame was my ION's colour. As you likely know, Redlines only came in Black, Red, Blue, and Silver. What made me unique was because I factory ordered ION3 with the available sport appearance package, I was able to get regular ION colours but with the awesome look of a Redline. And just like that, a WHITE factory Redline is born! (Well, not really. I still need to save up for this Chevy Ecotec 2.2 or 2.4 Bolt on Supercharger Kit | ZZPerformance Once I get it I will proudly apply my Redline decal - something I've been waiting years to do!

Here she is last year in Vegas (drove her all the way down there). Just a sneak peak, you'll have to wait until my further mods and upgrades are done before you see her in full!

p.s. Black IS sexy though, agreed. But can't argue with the uniqueness of being one of the few different coloured RLs!

17" was as big as I could go Chicken man - remember on IONs we're lameo 4-lug hubs and that's the biggest I could go (no 18s on 4-lug). Still, pretty sweet wheels that I purposely am not letting you see in profile yet!

White looks like really nice !!!!

they should have made the redline in more colors -

what was up with that - 4 colors ???? :pimp:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ya there was a rare dark blue.

Make sure you have access to an impact for the job, and be ready to replace top hats if needed.
Got it. I'll probably do the tops anyway per your recommendation.

On a related note - just got an email back from ZZP. They said they're transitioning to all black components (ie sway bars, etc.) so if it's not selectable in a different colour it's only black. Pretty cheesy if you ask me, given that most people modding their cars WANT the added components to be flashy and stick out.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Ya there was a rare dark blue.

Make sure you have access to an impact for the job, and be ready to replace top hats if needed.
Got it. I'll probably do the tops anyway per your recommendation.

On a related note - just got an email back from ZZP. They said they're transitioning to all black components (ie sway bars, etc.) so if it's not selectable in a different colour it's only black. Pretty cheesy if you ask me, given that most people modding their cars WANT the added components to be flashy and stick out.

Guess it can be painted but ya I agree they should have other colors. I might actually paint mine with rynoliner being in MN under the car it is gonna see snow and salt. I think they are powder coated but another layer is always good specially on the bottom.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Guess it can be painted but ya I agree they should have other colors. I might actually paint mine with rynoliner being in MN under the car it is gonna see snow and salt. I think they are powder coated but another layer is always good specially on the bottom.
That's a good idea. I'll probably paint mine too, but just regular paint.

So was my sneak peak pic satisfactory? :)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
That's a good idea. I'll probably paint mine too, but just regular paint.

So was my sneak peak pic satisfactory?

Yup looks nice I love the white. A buddy of mine missed one just like it by 10 minutes this last winter. They sell so fast here. He ended up getting a red one with automatic, he really wanted a manual but couldn't wait anymore.

Ps.....you need vent visors, would look good on that white.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yup looks nice I love the white. A buddy of mine missed one just like it by 10 minutes this last winter. They sell so fast here. He ended up getting a red one with automatic, he really wanted a manual but couldn't wait anymore.

A white what? ION3? And how could he miss it by 10 mins, what happened? Also, I've only ever saw another non-RL white ION with the appearance package - extremely rare so I'm curious what your friend was about to purchase.

Mine is loaded to the gills except for two things I purposely deleted when ordered: Cloth seats instead of leather (don't like leather if I can help it, always so hot in summer), and no sunroof. Didn't get the roof because I'm all about rigidity and didn't want the hole.

As for vent visors, if you're talking about those things you put above your doors I don't really care for them. Not my thing, same as how some people black out their lights - don't care for that either. Lights are for you to see and BE seen, blacking them out doesn't look cool to me and looks bad in the daylight for the tails - they look dirty and the bulbs look dim and weak. Yuck lol. More light mods are on my to-do list which is why that's a sticky point for me, didn't mean to rant lol!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

A white what? ION3? And how could he miss it by 10 mins, what happened? Also, I've only ever saw another non-RL white ION with the appearance package - extremely rare so I'm curious what your friend was about to purchase.

Mine is loaded to the gills except for two things I purposely deleted when ordered: Cloth seats instead of leather (don't like leather if I can help it, always so hot in summer), and no sunroof. Didn't get the roof because I'm all about rigidity and didn't want the hole.

As for vent visors, if you're talking about those things you put above your doors I don't really care for them. Not my thing, same as how some people black out their lights - don't care for that either. Lights are for you to see and BE seen, blacking them out doesn't look cool to me and looks bad in the daylight for the tails - they look dirty and the bulbs look dim and weak. Yuck lol. More light mods are on my to-do list which is why that's a sticky point for me, didn't mean to rant lol!

Ya it was a white ion3 2.4 with the redline looks package. Had leather and sunroof, they sold it 10 minutes before we got there.

I agree with ya on tinting lights, is why mine are tinted and not blacked out. Mine are more ruby than clear red plus I use red high output LEDs to compensate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ya it was a white ion3 2.4 with the redline looks package. Had leather and sunroof, they sold it 10 minutes before we got there.

I agree with ya on tinting lights, is why mine are tinted and not blacked out. Mine are more ruby than clear red plus I use red high output LEDs to compensate.
Sounds like a nice find. The one I saw was like that too but had the beige leather interior (not a fan). Black leather fine, but not beige.

As for LED signals/tails/DRLs - I have yet to find any bright enough to emulate conventional incandescent bulbs. As much as I want to switch, I have tried on many occasions and the lights just aren't as bright. LEDs don't emit light the same way as conventional bulbs and hence do not fill the reflectors properly. I have tried very long "corncob" LEDs with tons of emitters on them, super bright, and side-by-side with unchanged conventional the conventional are still brighter. Until I can find one bright enough I'll have to stay stock. :( (And yes, I have bought from superbrightleds but still not satisfied with the performance and returned them).

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Sounds like a nice find. The one I saw was like that too but had the beige leather interior (not a fan). Black leather fine, but not beige.

As for LED signals/tails/DRLs - I have yet to find any bright enough to emulate conventional incandescent bulbs. As much as I want to switch, I have tried on many occasions and the lights just aren't as bright. LEDs don't emit light the same way as conventional bulbs and hence do not fill the reflectors properly. I have tried very long "corncob" LEDs with tons of emitters on them, super bright, and side-by-side with unchanged conventional the conventional are still brighter. Until I can find one bright enough I'll have to stay stock. :( (And yes, I have bought from superbrightleds but still not satisfied with the performance and returned them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzFsEGqAAU

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
Lets take a moment to discuss those wheels. I read they weren't direct bolt on? Were they? Because I wanted those for my redline, and now seeing them, I really want them!
You are correct. I am running 15mm wheel adapters because of the increase in width and offset compared to the stock wheels.

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
Yeah me too, I also wanted red. I'll inquire when I order.

So final decision - FE5 shocks/struts with SSC lowering springs. There, now we should be good. The SSC has ION-specific springs so I should be alright without additional hardware and be happy.
The "additional hardware" is not that big a deal to work with. It's worth it to run performance springs VS lowering springs. Don't let a little extra work scare you away from doing the right thing the first time.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts