61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So final decision - FE5 shocks/struts with SSC lowering springs. There, now we should be good. The SSC has ION-specific springs so I should be alright without additional hardware and be happy. Ride might be a bit rough but I'll learn to deal with it I suppose.
The "additional hardware" is not that big a deal to work with. It's worth it to run performance springs VS lowering springs. Don't let a little extra work scare you away from doing the right thing the first time.
(Sorry for the thread bump - I was away for work most of last week.)

I *WANT* to do the right thing, believe me - it will save me both money and time seeing as I won't have to do it again a second time as I will not likely mod the suspension any further until the next time I need a new pair of shocks/struts.

That said, I cannot emphasize enough how much of a newbie I am at this specific particular project, so I would sincerely appreciate it if one of you could please download the pic below, and in MS paint/photoshop, etc. please illustrate EXACTLY what would be added and/or changed in the setup. If you could do that, I will seriously look at going the "right" route (ie. YYZ Cobalt performance springs) as I plan on ordering all my parts this week.

Further, as I will be unable to get this kit in Canada Cobalt FE5-YYZ Strut,Shock,Spring Plug and Play System FE5YYZ could one of you please post a link for the exact hardware/adapter kit to make FE5 shock/struts work with YYZ springs on our IONs/Redlines? Thank you and Happy Fathers Day!

:cowsmile:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
So final decision - FE5 shocks/struts with SSC lowering springs. There, now we should be good. The SSC has ION-specific springs so I should be alright without additional hardware and be happy. Ride might be a bit rough but I'll learn to deal with it I suppose.
The "additional hardware" is not that big a deal to work with. It's worth it to run performance springs VS lowering springs. Don't let a little extra work scare you away from doing the right thing the first time.
(Sorry for the thread bump - I was away for work most of last week.)

I *WANT* to do the right thing, believe me - it will save me both money and time seeing as I won't have to do it again a second time as I will not likely mod the suspension any further until the next time I need a new pair of shocks/struts.

That said, I cannot emphasize enough how much of a newbie I am at this specific particular project, so I would sincerely appreciate it if one of you could please download the pic below, and in MS paint/photoshop, etc. please illustrate EXACTLY what would be added and/or changed in the setup. If you could do that, I will seriously look at going the "right" route (ie. YYZ Cobalt performance springs) as I plan on ordering all my parts this week.

Further, as I will be unable to get this kit in Canada Cobalt FE5-YYZ Strut,Shock,Spring Plug and Play System FE5YYZ could one of you please post a link for the exact hardware/adapter kit to make FE5 shock/struts work with YYZ springs on our IONs/Redlines? Thank you and Happy Fathers Day!

Contact Gloria at [email protected]
See if you can get the ION YYZ setup from them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Contact Gloria at [email protected]
See if you can get the ION YYZ setup from them.
Alright I will, thanks for the contact 1313.

This is the last attempt. If they do not have the setup ready to plug and play I am going SSC springs from ZZP for the Redline. I need to put my foot down and make a call soon as I cannot wait much longer to order my parts and still have time to work on the car. If they have the YYZs, great, if not - SSC. Done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
John should be able to get that setup for you. And considering he is in Toronto shipping inside canada works out perfectly.

I'm more than satisfied with all of his parts I own.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
John should be able to get that setup for you. And considering he is in Toronto shipping inside canada works out perfectly.

I'm more than satisfied with all of his parts I own.
Which forum member is John? Sorry, as a passive poster/visitor I am not as tight with all the names of everyone. Is he the one that works for Powell - qwikredline11?

I sincerely hope he or someone can help me out. If I can get it up here all the better. But again, I have to make a decision soon as I have a limited amount of time this summer for the project.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Which forum member is John? Sorry, as a passive poster/visitor I am not as tight with all the names of everyone. Is he the one that works for Powell - qwikredline11?

I sincerely hope he or someone can help me out. If I can get it up here all the better. But again, I have to make a decision soon as I have a limited amount of time this summer for the project.

Yes Qwik is John, just email Gloria she usually gets back same day or next. She should be able to give ya an answer. Just ask her if she can get you the YYZ complete setup for ion. She is who I usually go threw cause Qwik is usually busy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Yes Qwik is John, just email Gloria she usually gets back same day or next. She should be able to give ya an answer. Just ask her if she can get you the YYZ complete setup for ion. She is who I usually go threw cause Qwik is usually busy.
So awesome news Redline Friendlies - news I hope will make some of you proud in that I didn't wuss out. Thanks to all of your help and most recently, 1313 with the email contact - Powell is setting me up with YYZ springs and the adapter kit! So I'll be going full FE5 with YYZ springs!

I am getting the actual shocks/struts from a dealer as I'll be getting a deal working for GM. So, while I'll have to assemble the struts myself at least now I'll be riding on the full-out, most modern FE5 Cobalt setup that some of you are sporting. I'm a pretty happy IONer at the moment! :D

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
So awesome news Redline Friendlies - news I hope will make some of you proud in that I didn't wuss out. Thanks to all of your help and most recently, 1313 with the email contact - Powell is setting me up with YYZ springs and the adapter kit! So I'll be going full FE5 with YYZ springs!

I am getting the actual shocks/struts from a dealer as I'll be getting a deal working for GM. So, while I'll have to assemble the struts myself at least now I'll be riding on the full-out, most modern FE5 Cobalt setup that some of you are sporting. I'm a pretty happy IONer at the moment! :D

Gratz much:D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Just ordered my ZZP bar and a magnetic oil plug.
Why the plug? lol. Good for you! Actually I just went to the dealer today to get my struts. Oh crap - I forgot to order the shocks! Idiot. Oh well, hopefully they're open on Saturday in the parts department. Going to place my order for the strut and sway bars tomorrow. It's been a long week.

Took off my left rear drum and the shoes still have plenty of meat on them so I won't bother changing them just yet. Too bad my drums are all rusty and ugly though. Wish there was a disc conversion kit.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Why the plug? lol. Good for you! Actually I just went to the dealer today to get my struts. Oh crap - I forgot to order the shocks! Idiot. Oh well, hopefully they're open on Saturday in the parts department. Going to place my order for the strut and sway bars tomorrow. It's been a long week.

Took off my left rear drum and the shoes still have plenty of meat on them so I won't bother changing them just yet. Too bad my drums are all rusty and ugly though. Wish there was a disc conversion kit.

there is......find a disc set from a redline, there is someone with a junk one on here now parting it out. The plug was 6$ and shiney.......ohhhhh shiney........Its magnetic Ill see what it catches.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
there is......find a disc set from a redline, there is someone with a junk one on here now parting it out. The plug was 6$ and shiney.......ohhhhh shiney........Its magnetic Ill see what it catches.
I don't think it's that easy to simply swap out drums to discs without significant surgery. I'd have no idea how to do it without a walkthrough. And I'd need EXACT point by point instructions on that type of retrofit - these are BRAKES we're talking about - pretty important with respect to my life expectancy.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
You literally unbolt the rear axle from the car, undo the brake and parking brake lines and shocks and bolt the new one with discs on and reattach everything. You might need parking brake cables for disc brake.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
You literally unbolt the rear axle from the car, undo the brake and parking brake lines and shocks and bolt the new one with discs on and reattach everything. You might need parking brake cables for disc brake.
So in essence, you're replacing the whole rear axel and all its appendages? A project I might consider in the future if I can find a good condition dead Redline (there's an oxymoron).

Noob question again - how would my car "know" how hard to apply the new discs if it was designed for drums? Also, would ABS still work with the new setup? Sucks though because I'd have to get 2 new wheels in the 5-lug configuration and have to paint them as well (my car is 4 lug).

Man....all this work trying to turn my ION3 into a RL.....maybe I should have just got a real RL lol!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
So in essence, you're replacing the whole rear axel and all its appendages? A project I might consider in the future if I can find a good condition dead Redline (there's an oxymoron).

Noob question again - how would my car "know" how hard to apply the new discs if it was designed for drums? Also, would ABS still work with the new setup? Sucks though because I'd have to get 2 new wheels in the 5-lug configuration and have to paint them as well (my car is 4 lug).

Man....all this work trying to turn my ION3 into a RL.....maybe I should have just got a real RL lol!

Ultimately its not worth the hastle. Your brakes work fine. You are already doing a major part that will actually make it better with the suspension. If I were you and I was going to keep going my next step would be the engine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Ultimately its not worth the hastle. Your brakes work fine. You are already doing a major part that will actually make it better with the suspension. If I were you and I was going to keep going my next step would be the engine.
Yeah you're right, good call. Like I said - future/tentative, if at all. The engine WILL be next - as I will be doing the ZZP supercharger bolt-on super chager kit next year as well as full exhaust, then I can finally, TRULY put my Redline emblem on my trunk beside the ION badge! :D

I plan the drive this until it falls apart so I want to take care of it and you raise a good point - though unsightly, the brakes work fine. If it ain't broke....

Wish they didn't put them on it though - who still uses drums these days? Although IONs did come out in 2003 but still - nowhere near the performance of discs and so ugly. Especially when they rust and it is obvious to everyone that you have drums lol!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yeah you're right, good call. Like I said - future/tentative, if at all. The engine WILL be next - as I will be doing the ZZP supercharger bolt-on super chager kit next year as well as full exhaust, then I can finally, TRULY put my Redline emblem on my trunk beside the ION badge! :D

I plan the drive this until it falls apart so I want to take care of it and you raise a good point - though unsightly, the brakes work fine. If it ain't broke....

Wish they didn't put them on it though - who still uses drums these days? Although IONs did come out in 2003 but still - nowhere near the performance of discs and so ugly. Especially when they rust and it is obvious to everyone that you have drums lol!

My wifes accord has drum as well its weird cars still have them but her brakes will put you threw the window if ya hit them hard. Truthfully though I think for the average car they work just as well as disk but I agree the look is horrible. With your rims Id take them off put them face down and paint them with caliper paint black.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
My wifes accord has drum as well its weird cars still have them but her brakes will put you threw the window if ya hit them hard. Truthfully though I think for the average car they work just as well as disk but I agree the look is horrible. With your rims Id take them off put them face down and paint them with caliper paint black.
The rust will still come through quickly though, the surface is pure rust after 8 years. :/

BTW - I've placed my orders for a TON of parts now:
-YYZ springs and adapter kit
-FE5 Struts/Shocks
-ZZP strut and rear sway bar
-LEDs for superbrightleds for more mods

Anticipating completion by mid August. Also planning on getting tuner wheel locks that will fit in the smaller lug holes of my wheels. They currently use 8-spline nuts but I want the security. I like my wheels :D

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
If you buy new drums and either have them powdercoated or degrease them and paint them yourself, you might have a decent finish. Or you can buy covers that look like disc brakes. Drums are fine unless you need repeated hard braking when their inability to dissipate heat compared to discs shows.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts