Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

ran a built 331 fox body

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  REDLINE1313 
#1 Β·
I ran a guy I knows built 331 fox, car pulls hard dynoed 338hp on a mustang dyno. mod are forged stroker 331, port and polish windsor senior heads, port matched holley systemax intake and bbk tb. bbk long tubes and dumps. gutted only 2 front seats.
we could not get any real clean runs due to lunch time traffic.

#3 Β·
would like to have a similar setup but E85 is hard to come by. any time a mustang can go down I am happy, if you got a vid maybe you can share.
If I can get him to run my other car it would be a different ending.

#7 Β·
wow to be over 400 on a 302 block is crazy, had to be a 351 block. if I can get it close to 300 I would be happy, i like the reliability of it. I have a header now and exhaust and I street tuned it so a rematch is coming.

#9 Β·
its possible with a power adder, I ran a 03 cobra with my 2000 z28 he had pulley full bolt ons and I had my small 224 cam and bolt ons he only got me by half a car.

#12 Β·
Several years ago, I ran a stock Mustang GT like that in my '97 SC2. My SC2 was modded and ran low 15s at 91 in the quarter. The Mustang got me by a couple cars then but I would sure like to find him again now in my Stage 2 Ion! :armed:

#13 Β·
^^^I hear you, I have some more mods now and I tried getting him out again but he keeps saying no.

#16 Β·
I have to agree with SHO. The 1989 Ford Taurus SHO was just as fast as the 1989 Chevrolet Corvette lmao It has a 24-valve V-6 engine that produces 220 hp. From a standing start, it can reach 60 mph in 6.7 seconds. Its top speed is 143 mph. It has room for five adults plus luggage. And it could be purchased for less than $20,000. An elaborate intake manifold, nearly large enough to hide the engine that lies beneath it, makes the most of the heads' high-rpm breathing abilities without compromising low-rpm performance. The manifold incorporates two interconnected plenum chambers and twelve intake runners. Each plenum feeds three short and three long runners; the short runners are connected to the cylinders directly below each plenum, and the long runners are connected to the cylinders in the opposite cylinder bank. Below 4000 rpm, a butterfly throttle in each short runner remains closedβ€”forcing the engine to breathe through the long runners, which are optimized for low-rpm breathing. Above 4000 rpmβ€”where the engine's demand for air exceeds what the long runners can provideβ€”the butterfly valves open, activating the short runners and allowing the engine to breathe freely through all twelve runners.The Shogun 3.0 v6 engine is rev-limited to 7300 rpmβ€”not to protect the internal components, but to keep the accessory drive system from flying apart. (The engine itself is safely able to turn more than 8500 rpm.) The engine's durability comes from its forged-steel crankshaft and connecting rods; a high-strength cast-iron cylinder block with reinforced main-bearing supports and deck faces; and a cooling system that offers full, 360-degree water jackets around the cylinders, extra-large cooling passages, and an oil-water heat exchanger. Yamaha didn't skimp when it designed this engine. In later years you could get them with an Automatic but the engine was increased to 3.2 liters as to not lose any speed/power. Most people pull the cams from the 3.2 and put them in the 3.0 with the mazda built 5 speed and create a whole new monster. The later 1996-1999ish rounded body style Ford Taurus SHO came with an even larger motor, the 3.4 liter V8. Although ford messed up and gave it the same automatic transmission that even the lower tier ones had but nevertheless at 235 hp at 6100 rpm and Torque at 230 lbfΒ·ft at 4800 rpm and sounded like a badass with headers and borla or flowmaster exhaust. If im not mistaken at the time you could install a trans cooler and a shift improving kit making it less jerky and shift firm at max power. The 3.4 L SHO V8 top half is designed by yamaha as the bottom half or block is made with a Ford Duratec 25 and quite different than the v6. It was introduced in the spring of 1996. It incorporated many of the traits of the SHO V6, including the aluminum cylinder heads and 4-valve per cylinder DOHC design, but differed with an aluminum rather than iron block and no variable length intake manifold. A chain is also used to time the camshafts to crankshaft instead of the belts that the SHO V6s used. The SHO V8 has a split port style intake valve setup. The primary valve is exposed all the time and has the fuel injector spraying on it, while the secondary valve is only exposed when the Intake Manifold Runner Control opens the secondary plates at 3400 rpm. These secondary valves are called "secondaries" by SHO enthusiasts, when those secondaries open it pulls like a raped ape. BUT alas the cam gears liked to break off the cams and ruin the engine by around 60k miles UNLESS they were welded together then the engine was honestly a beast which got way less attention then it deserved especially with the aftermarket market. Finally they ceased making them from 1999-2010 and the new one isnt NOT a yamaha motor which saddens me but it has all-wheel drive. It features a 3.5 liter direct-injected Twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 producing 365 hp at 5500 rpm and 350 lbΒ·ft of torque at 1500-5250 rpm, mated to Ford's 6F55 six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission with a paddle- or console-activated Manual mode.
The new SHO comes with Ford's new SR1 suspension setup with MacPherson front struts and a multi-link design in the rear. This includes SHO-specific shock absorbers, springs, stabilizer bars and strut mount bushings. An optional Performance Package offers better brake pads, recalibrated steering, a "Sport Mode" for the stability control and shorter 3.16 to 1 final drive ratio. Ive test drivin one and i tell you now that car is a boat, but will haul freekin ass. Ive seen the older yamaha 3.0 v6 motors with yamahas 3.2 motors camshaft in them, full of goodies like port and polished intake/runners, throttle bodies, full exhaust, and cold air intake with a tune destroy cobras mustangs. Add a turbo or supercharger in there and ive seen them boosted/modded cst-v by 5 car lengths at 20psi. Ive seen them run 150shot of nos at the track on stock motors with 150k miles on them for yrs. The 1993ish taurus SHO with a 5-speed is my next sleeper and puttin some 3.2 cams in its 3.0 motor with full exhaust, cold air intake, stage 3 clutch, lightened flywheel and a lightened underdrive pulley are my first mods when im done with my redline. Sry for the encyclopedia but i love the SHO

#17 Β· (Edited)
They got a lot great cars out there

glad I choose the Saturn Ion Redline...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.