Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just start off by saying I am not trolling here. I just was curious about the car that tried running me so I was checking out your forum here. I have a modded 04 GTO, I was sitting at a light and a Redline pulled up next to me. Did not think much about racing at this point, then the light turns green and this guy takes off. So he got a good jump, which was erased almost instantly when I went WOT (wide open throttle). In 2nd I went by him like he was standing still. By 90mph I had maybe 6-7 cars on him. I then slowed down to let him catch up to give him a thumbs up but he just did a ricer flyby. And he kept going so I went back to WOT to catch up to him again. When I did catch up to him he was doing about 110mph and I had to brake again or I would have ran over him. Just wanted to say your cars are pretty cool. Hearing the whine of the supercharger surprised me! Again I'm not trollling here... just into cars. Take care.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Welcome man.

No suprise that your modded GTO walked him. A completely stock one would walk us by a good margin as well so............

Our aftermarket support is picking up really quickly so don't be suprised if you don't beat us by as much as you did this time in the future. :D

What all do you have done to your GTO?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He shocked me that he wanted to race, I was not expecting that but the guy had balls. Or maybe he just thought I was a Grand Am (used to hear that a lot)... :D

So far I have:
Performance Mods:
Ligenfelter Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers
Custom Tuned by "Running With The Devil" <Known for tuning Vettes, Gtos, F-Bodies, and Cobras

Visual:
Tint
Factory Chromed Wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
what kind of power do you have compared to the new 05 GTOs? I'm a big fan of the new GTOs but I wish they would've made them just a bit more extroverted. They look like, (I'm sure you've heard this too) a bloated Cavalier. I saw a magazine article about how they might be bringing back the "Judge" GTO from Pontiac's heyday. In my opinion the artist's rendition of what the new Judge GTO will look like is what I was hoping the regular GTO would look like. Either way though the GTO has that sleeper look with Corvette power, gotta love that :cool: Oh and if you look at some of the posts from other car owners (SRT-4s mainly even though some owners of the SRT-4s are ok) you'll get more of a sense of what a troll really is like, "Your car ain't shit mine is the best........."

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Nice ride, bro. The interior on those kics some ass. I love the color scheme in yours.

I'll admit, that I didn't care for the styling of the new GTO's at first. Once I saw one in person and got to drive one at the GM Autoshow in Motion, they grew on me right away.

TXRLU- I think the '04's were rated at 350 stock HP and the '05's are rated at 400.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
With the mods that I have it is pretty much a drivers race with a 05 GTO. I only had to make up 35-50 HP. Throw a pair of long tube headers and a lot of GTO owners pic up 25-30 hp on just that alone. Pair of Nittos to hook up... Stock vs Stock it really is not that big of a difference. Enough to notice but with a few things here and there an 04 is right up there. Yeah I have heard about the "bloated cav"... It definately grew on me. It does not sceam "PULL ME OVER" like my 02 WS6 Trans Am did.

On the track the 05's are running anywhere from 12.9's to 13.8's STOCK. I'm sure driver and location have to do with the second seperating those times. They should only get better as they get more miles on them as well. The Ls1 and Ls2 engines loosen up a bit with some miles on them. The best time I have seen with a STOCK (including stock tires) 04 was 13.1 but 13.4's are more common for them.

And JPK you are right about the HP ratings.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
We're a scrappy bunch, or he might have thought that you had a GranPrix... You might have suprised him when he started hearing that V8 over the supercharger!

And you've got Ash as an Avatar! Winner right here! Nice ride bro!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This ^ is true... :p

And thanks for the compliment.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I was behind a guy in a new GTO ('05 I think, not like i saw the front of it!) and he hit it hard off the light. He eased into it a little, but then you could see, and smell the exhaust, I punched it to see how close I could stay. I wont even comment on my final thoughts... I think I could see what state he was from still...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
That is your BOOM stick (points to your GTO). Nice ride man. I really wanted a GTO over the RL, but the insurance and payments would be too expensive for me right now. Maybe in a few years after I'm done with my RL I'll get one because I really dig them. The styling on them isn't all that bad. It's good that they have that big time sleeper look. Once you get in the interior, it's easy to fall in love, really well refined in there. My boss last summer at GM was in charge of running the quality aspect of them and made sure they didn't come over from Australia all broken, so I got to learn a lot about those cars.

That intake looks hot. Are those valve covers stock? Because the GTO that I got to drive around didn't have those nice looking covers. Under the hood of the car that I drove was real boring looking, which I would have been real disappointed if that's how they went to the dealerships. Hopefully they didn't though. The GTO was probably an old company mule without all the final production finishing touches.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the back you can tell the difference by the exhaust. On the 04's both pipes come out on the left side where as on the 05's it is split. One on both sides.

And the covers under the hood are stock.
Thanks again for the compliments.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
There's supposed to be a nice .5-1 second difference between 04s and 05s. The 04s go 0-60 in 5.3 or 4, and the 05s do it in under 4, like 4.6-4.7. So those extra 50 ponies really give the car what it needed. Hopefully they start selling better this year since they have on them what a lot of people wanted last year...let's hope so for GM's sake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
jpapa said:
There's supposed to be a nice .5-1 second difference between 04s and 05s. The 04s go 0-60 in 5.3 or 4, and the 05s do it in under 4, like 4.6-4.7. So those extra 50 ponies really give the car what it needed. Hopefully they start selling better this year since they have on them what a lot of people wanted last year...let's hope so for GM's sake.
I like having a car that not many people drive around... you see Mustangs, and Vettes all over the place... I don't want to see my car everywhere I look... I personally like the looks of the 04 better. Not cause I have one but I like the sleeper look to it.

Your numbers are not that far off but the it is closer than you think. On the streets and track is where it matters. Not on paper. The 50 extra HP does help it out a little. When I picked mine up in last Oct. I always heard that the WS6's and SS Camaros were a bit faster than the GTO due to the weight difference... when I was stock I ran into a few of them and none of them edged me out. They were neck and neck though.

Here is the smart thing to do now... buy an 04 and save some money compared to buying an 05 and spend the extra cash on mods and you'll be smoking 05's like nothing. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I absolutely love the GTO. My friend has an 04'. Just for laughs we lined them up one day. From a dig, I wheel hopped, and he rolled off the line with just a hint of spin, and didn't fully power into it untill second. I also missed third, but by the end of our backroad 1/4 mile he had me by about 5 lengths, so it didn't make a difference anyway. The second time we rolled from 10mph in first, at his suggestion, because I wasn't hooking up with my bicycle tires.lol Anyway we lined up even, and he said just go when your ready, and I'll catch up. So while brake boosting in first, I nailed it and he dropped back to my bumper. By the end of second I still had a lead, not sure how much. By mid 3rd we were waiving at each other, and by the end of third I was at his bumper. We took it up to about 120-130 with him leading by about 2 cars. There were some "S" curves ahead, he had just got the car so he backed out of it a little which alowed me to get back on his bumper. Thats how it ended with us both letting off on the other side of the curves.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Man your GTO is one fine ride if you love cars you have to love the GTO.I say it again a very nice ride and you showed a lot of class on the redline forum.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Before I got the Red Line, I was seriously thinking about selling one of my kidneys on the black market and using the $15,000 for a down payment on an 04 GTO. :eek:! I took one for a test drive when my Vibe was in for service and damn near made a mess in the nice leather seats. I fell in love and still plan on getting one. I may try and pick up a used one in three years or so.

Your GTO > My Red Line (And I love my Red Line!!!)

Thanks for the respect on our boards. We get so many trolls spewing insults it is refreshing to have some one come on and be completely cool with the fact that we drive different cars. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreciate it guys. I hear you about trolls. We get the same thing on our GTO forum. We do have a few Cobra owners that are around but they have been very cool and we get along just fine. I'm not big on insulting someone elses choice of vehicle or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Bad Ash said:
Appreciate it guys. I hear you about trolls. We get the same thing on our GTO forum. We do have a few Cobra owners that are around but they have been very cool and we get along just fine. I'm not big on insulting someone elses choice of vehicle or anything else for that matter.

The GTO is pretty cool. I wish they had done more a retro look to it but as it stands it does look cool. I gotta pay my respects cuz u will kick my ass! lol

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Bad Ash said:
Chicago area here to... NW burbs... where you at?

Edited: I'm gonna laugh if some Chicago area guy posts:

Smoked a GTO from a roll last night... didn't catch me till 90! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sp00ner said:
Chicago area here to... NW burbs... where you at?

Edited: I'm gonna laugh if some Chicago area guy posts:

Smoked a GTO from a roll last night... didn't catch me till 90! :rolleyes:
Southwest burbs... Lemont here. The first time I came to this site that is exactly what I was looking for... to see if the guy posted some BS... :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts