Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I live in CT around "The Pike" for those of you who are local. I ran into an ION RL on my way to a baseball game today.

We got only 1 race in, a 2nd gear punch from about 40mph. It was dead even untill 80 when we stopped. I woulda loved to go further but the guy hit the brakes fast and turned off the next exit. The s/c was REALLY loud (almost 03Cobra-like). Do they come stock that loud or was he modded? BTW nice cars you got there, it was pretty sick to hear the s/c on that thing.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
MMM SHO

Haha, my buddy, first car he bought on his own was definitely a 1989 Taurus SHO, black; it was awesome. It was definitely quick, something about not having a rev limiter did something for it. It didn't have an exhaust, though, so it was unbearably loud. I don't think they're as fast as Redlines, but I mean, I guess it's feasible. Those Yamaha engines are something fierce.

Thanks for not being a ***** and bashing our cars, welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty sure I'd be a damn good race with an ION RL. This little encounter was only a tease, I need more lol.

Anyway here's a few video's of what my car can do...
Right click the link and save as 56k kill yourself ;)

SHO vs 2001 CL Type S 5spd Auto
260hp/232ft lbs tq
K&N Drop in filter
This car went 14.6 @ 96 2 weeks before this video
http://www.angelfire.com/ill2/shoct/SHOvsCLS.WMV

SHO vs WRX
WRX was fairly stock, race from 40-110ish
http://www.angelfire.com/ill2/shoct/SHOvsWRX.WMV

SHO vs Supercharged Miata
6lbs with i/e
Cars in the intro were a 2002 TL type S with CAI, and a I/E/3.73's Mustang GT
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/shoct/SHOvsMiataSC.WMV

SHO vs 2002 Mustang GT
K&N filter and american thunder cat-back exhaust
I missed 2nd gear a little in the 1st race
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/shoct/SHOvs02GT.WMV

Enjoy the videos!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Slow Sho

SLOW SHO,
I have a Redline and I am in Connecticut, by Danbury, New Milford to be exact. Take a look at my video in the media/pic section, also some mics pics just search my username. I work at Saturn in Watertown, outside waterbury. Crap I cant see the vid's I'm blocked @ work. I'll have to wait till I get home :-(

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Some sho's are fast ----others not so much. When they started dropping the v8s in them they really slowed down. In fact the fastest year was the first year (89) being the lightest year. In 89 they were around as fast a fox body mustang. This is actually one car I hope to get a run with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
clownhair said:
Some sho's are fast ----others not so much. When they started dropping the v8s in them they really slowed down. In fact the fastest year was the first year (89) being the lightest year. In 89 they were around as fast a fox body mustang. This is actually one car I hope to get a run with.
The problem with the V8 SHO's were that they were only offered in auto's and they were much heavier then gen 1-2 SHO's. Any near stock Auto SHO isn't going to be that quick. They will run about 90mph traps, while the MTX SHO's are 93-96ish (stock)
Right click and save as
This is the difference between my bone stock SHO and a modded V8 SHO
http://www.angelfire.com/ill2/shoct/SHOvsSHO.WMV

I would lean toward a stock 89-95 MTX SHO being much quicker than any stock 89-95 Mustang GT. True 89 was the lightest year, but there's little to no difference from 89-95 in weight. A fully loaded 89 weighs as much as a 95 with no sunroof. An 89 with no sunroof is about 40lbs lighter than a 95 with no sunroof. The weight is almost a non-factor. All MTX SHO's, if maintained and healthy should be equal.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thats cool there is a red 89 SHO across from a g/f's house. Im gunn ask him to race me now. I wanna see how good i do. Its lightly moded he also has a old school box style bmw. Its on!!! maybe ill get it on video tape LOL. Going down to Land'o'lakes tonight. great to see that slow sho is a pretty cool guy hope to see more of ya and swap more stories nxt time

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
SLoW_SHO_316 said:
The problem with the V8 SHO's were that they were only offered in auto's and they were much heavier then gen 1-2 SHO's. Any near stock Auto SHO isn't going to be that quick. They will run about 90mph traps, while the MTX SHO's are 93-96ish (stock)
Right click and save as
This is the difference between my bone stock SHO and a modded V8 SHO
http://www.angelfire.com/ill2/shoct/SHOvsSHO.WMV

I would lean toward a stock 89-95 MTX SHO being much quicker than any stock 89-95 Mustang GT. True 89 was the lightest year, but there's little to no difference from 89-95 in weight. A fully loaded 89 weighs as much as a 95 with no sunroof. An 89 with no sunroof is about 40lbs lighter than a 95 with no sunroof. The weight is almost a non-factor. All MTX SHO's, if maintained and healthy should be equal.
heh I know this info already, I know lot about sho's. Define much quicker than a mustang gt though?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Like The Vids, I Had A 99 Mercury Cougar That Ran Almost Like Your Car, It Had The Yamaha 2.5 DOHC 5 Speed And It Had About 205WHP And I Had Raced Shos Before And Some Would Beat Me And Some I Would Beat. Strong Cars I Might Add.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mustangs are slow!!! LOL some people just dont get that. whats a mullit??

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Ok, Mustangs are not SLOW. They may not be real fast, but they are far from slow. Yes, there are some slow years, models, and specific cars. However, there are just as many fast ones out there. Don't get me wrong, no love for Mustangs here. I own the Redline, a Corvette, and a Camaro. There's no way that they're slow however. The value/peformance numbers on a Mustang right now look very similar to a Corvette. Of course it's a little different, but the 300hp for mid-high $20,000 range is pretty good. The same Mustangs that you're calling slow can be ordered from the factory with Cammer motors ready to run in the ALMS series.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Here's what Road and Track did with the 'slow' Mustang GT....
April '05 was the test time...

R&T said:
Any thoughts of underhood clutter disappear with a blast down the drag strip, where the 4.6's full wrath can be unleashed, with the signature V-8 sound gurgling out the 2.5-in. dual exhaust. With clean wheelspin invoking not the slightest bit of axle tramp, the GT reaches 60 in just 4.9 sec. — with a healthy chirp on the 1-2 shift — and charges through the quarter mile in 13.5, both times an eye-popping 0.4 sec. quicker than our original road test car's. Chalk it up to more break-in miles or slightly cooler test temperatures, but these are extraordinary times for a $26,000 car. And now the trip through the Tremec 3650's five ratios is a revelation. "The shifter is located within easy reach, not like the old Mustang where I have to stretch for it," said Road Test Editor Patrick Hong. "Light-years ahead of the old car," said Bert.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Stangs Started Alot Of Good Stuff, Like Car Competition, Camaro-Stang, Gens Of Comp, Now All Sorts Of Cars Do It Like Us, Just Remember If Stangs Were Slow Why Do Sooo Many People Own/Race Them.:)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
So you might be beating people driving Mustangs, but I want to see the 13.5 1/4 mile time that these guys got, or the 4.9 0-60 out of a Redline before anyone here should be calling them slow...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Im With The Spoonmeister On This One.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
It was definitely quick, something about not having a rev limiter did something for it
Now that is a SHO that has the possibility to be VERY dangerous to run against. Removing the rev limiters on those yamaha's will really bring out the power. Those were supposed to be high revving engines to draw out a lot more power, but Ford decided to keep the limiter way too low on them...

Thanks for being cool on here slow sho :cool:

·
Registered
679 Posts
My bad. I just dont like mullits. LOL Mustangs are just out done, me to cars like civics and no offence spooner but camaro's too. Its the alien srt and redline thats the underdog..... 4 clyers less and 5-8k less depending on moddle and year. Thats what i like. what i dont like is the fan base is so big for stangs that nobody wants to addmit that the car can loose and when it happens it turns bad real bad. But i do agree w/you but w/all that money they put into them. we can too and thats what im getting at. We can too.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
No worries, you just have to remember, just because a bunch of tools bought a car, and modded it with duct tape and clothespins, does not make the car bad. The reason that they're 'overdone' is the fact that they've been the best selling, value-oriented, easy to mod, sports coupes in existance. The Camaro, Firebird, Mustangs, and that core of cars, is the reason we have the massive mixture of sport coupes that we have now. Almost all of them were aimed at taking those cars down. None really did, economics did more to unseat those kings than anything else did. The only thing that really did better, for longer, was the Corvette.

I also gotta tell ya, I lived in Florida for 10 years, and saw more Mullets driving broken down Chevettes than Mustangs or Camaros.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts