Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

rear spoiler

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Little RED 
#1 ·
Hello to ALL!! Greetings from Montreal CANADA!! :)

have a question for ION RL owners...
has anyone tried to replace their stock rear spoiler (lower one) to the higher one??

I got a good deal on the RL I picked up ealier this month - but it only had the stock spoiler...but the other spoiler makes a nice difference

let know if it can be done and if it's worth it!! :D

#2 ·
Soulkrusher said:

has anyone tried to replace their stock rear spoiler (lower one) to the higher one??

I got a good deal on the RL I picked up ealier this month - but it only had the stock spoiler...but the other spoiler makes a nice difference

Yes it will bolt right up, but the low factory one is attached well ..... took my bud quite a bit of work to get it off, and he knows what he is doing ..... something about factory adhesive.

#4 ·
Soulkrusher said:
Thanks Man!!!!!
Yea, I hear the factory glue is solid...

#10 ·
I was told the factory Aero spoiler (not the low one they sell the car with) costs about $600 to purchase. When I was dealing on the car, they told me about $400 for the thing - about $550 installed. For those of you that have purchased the Aero spoiler seperately, how much have you been paying?

#11 ·
GaRsNoW said:
glued and bolted
Its not glued on. It double sided tape and lots of it. Its hard to get it off but it can be done. I have done it. It took me about 3 hours to get the old one off with WD40 and a Razor blade. I didn't scratch or hurt my finsh. It just take a long time to pick at the tape. It is stuck on really good. I removed the bolts and started on one side. using a piece of would with a old sock on it to stick under the spoiler to help lift it up. I just picked and picked at the tape with the razor. I used the wd40 to loosen up the tape and keep it from sticking back down.
So 3 hours to remove the old one 15 mins to install the new one.

#12 ·
weasel_j66 said:
I was told the factory Aero spoiler (not the low one they sell the car with) costs about $600 to purchase. When I was dealing on the car, they told me about $400 for the thing - about $550 installed. For those of you that have purchased the Aero spoiler seperately, how much have you been paying?
Mine was $400 painted and installed. I believe the website that sold the spoiler was www.texasdar.com

#13 ·
I have a low back bone spoiler. It hangs off the back like 5 inches. I think mine was around $250 painted and shipped

#16 ·
I got one off ebay (high) but the idiots drilled the holes wrong(pieces the sides together) and they won't send me a new one or give me a refund. I am scared to drill new holes b/c I don't want to ruin the integrity of the spoiler

#17 ·
You mean the holes that are in the legs of the spoiler, or the ones that attach the top to the sides? I'm almost positive that you can drill new holes, if you're worried about too many holes, fill the old ones with something. Epoxy, urathane, you could even glue a small steel rod into the old holes with some urathane...

#18 ·
i had a body shop look at it they said in order for it to hold they will have to drill a bolt all the way through the side of the sides to hold it. so i would have the screw heads sticking out. i left them the spoiler so they could play with it

#19 ·
I had to screw into mine to! I thought man its going to fly off. But a little silicon, double sided tape and the 4 screws. Its not going anywhere even if the screws did fall out.

#21 ·
The double-sided tape will break loose easier if it's real warm, so if I was going to pull off this spoiler I'd let the car sit in hot sun for a few hours then I would take a piece on monofilament line(fishing line, 10or12lb test) and keep lubricating the line with wd40 and work it back and forth under the spoiler to cut through the tape. If I was going to do it in a garage I'd use a hairdryer(NOT A HEAT GUN!) on high to warm up the spoiler. I've used this technique to remove lots of double sided tape. You can usually roll the tape residue off with your finger, maybe a little wd40 to help. BeRad

#22 ·
Soulkrusher said:

Bonjour Monteal...
Toronto here.
Sorry can't help you though. Just wanted to say hi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.