Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called my dealer yesterday to make appointment. They asked if I wanted morning or afternoon appointment. I told them I would prefer to leave the car all day and get a loaner. AJ said he would check it out and see what he could do for me. Called me back last evening and told me to come in between 5-6pm on Wednesday and he would have a rental waiting for me at no charge. He also said he will look up all TSB's and make sure any updates are applied. I'll let you know how things go next Thursday. But so far so good!
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Now thats service! Outstanding. Let us know what ECU update you get, if they give you specific info, not just 'the latest one'. There seems to some confusion about what that really means.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
They always just say 'the latest one' - my service tech explained it to me when they upgraded the software on the VUE last week. They don't actually know what they're upgrading, basically Saturn sends them the info and says "put this in all the vehicles that come in for service" and doesn't tell them exactly what it fixes. The only time they know exactly what it fixes is if there is a specific problem that has been needing addressed, such as the cold start issue on the IONs, then Saturn will let them know that the update they're sending out will solve that problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
barefootrl said:
Called my dealer yesterday to make appointment. They asked if I wanted morning or afternoon appointment. I told them I would prefer to leave the car all day and get a loaner. AJ said he would check it out and see what he could do for me. Called me back last evening and told me to come in between 5-6pm on Wednesday and he would have a rental waiting for me at no charge. He also said he will look up all TSB's and make sure any updates are applied. I'll let you know how things go next Thursday. But so far so good!
Yep SAturn of Clarkston did pretty much the same for me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
I had my camshaft position sensor housing seal replaced Tuesday just past. Also had an oil change and a couple minor cosmetic things taken care of... was my first service visit since I took delivery late November '04. Saturn of Glenview (IL) provided for an overnight rental car, no charge.

Uncertain... would they have flashed to the latest ECU without telling me? Do Saturn service departments always review the latest TSBs to see what else they should do in addition to the work requested by the customer? Service manager made no mention of doing an ECU flash.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
violakat03 said:
They always just say 'the latest one' - my service tech explained it to me when they upgraded the software on the VUE last week. They don't actually know what they're upgrading, basically Saturn sends them the info and says "put this in all the vehicles that come in for service" and doesn't tell them exactly what it fixes. The only time they know exactly what it fixes is if there is a specific problem that has been needing addressed, such as the cold start issue on the IONs, then Saturn will let them know that the update they're sending out will solve that problem.
Right, so that means they have a version number on them. That's why you're hearing people talk about the v2.5 or v3.0 upgrades. The real question is if the techs care enough to figure out what it is. They are also smart enough to know if this is the first, second, third, etc... update. Something tells me that it shows up with a little more than a blank CD, or email message! Not to mention, most people here already know that the techs have some idea of what the updates do, since they always ask what the car is doing to warrant the upgrade. Come on now, they're not all morons over there. If I worked there, you can bet that I would know EXACTLY what upgrade version is in my shop! More than one person has refered to it as the v3.0 upgrade after stopping in at the dealership, so I'm sure that name/version is coming from somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
well I dropped mine of tonite. They are doing the camshaft recall ecu upgrade and checking out my cruise control for me. One of the mechanics asked my if I had the pleasure of changing my oil yet. Well I havent. So he was showing me how it has to be done by removing the coolant resevoir and what size socket to use and stuff. He was showing me alll of the cuts he had on his hands from doing RL oil changes lol. Once I get a new jack I will probably try it for myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Slightly OT, but does anyone have a link or reference that lists what "bug fixes" are contained in each ECU update version?

Like others have mentioned, I questioned a service manager at my Saturn dealer, and he did not know the version ECU that they flashed when they were also doing the seal replacement earlier this week... my guess is this dealer has sold such a small number of RLs, and serviced such a small number of RLs that we don't warrant much scrutiny/attention.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
hey, just wanted to say that changing the oil in the redline isnt that bad. Its fairly easy. I change my oil myself and it costs me about $30. Just a hint remove the 2 screws holding the supercharger coolant resevoir up. It makes it real easy to get your hand up underneath the supercharger to reach the oil filter screw cap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saturn called me to say my car is ready for pickup. I will go after work and return the rental and pickup my RL. They tell me I will notice the power difference immediately. I'll post tomorrow with my thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Its true, they just get a CD of the latest information, when your car is booked for service they check your vin for campaigns. If it needs a reflash or whatever, it gets it. All of you will have the latest information next time it is at a Saturn Retailer for service.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Partsspec said:
Its true, they just get a CD of the latest information, when your car is booked for service they check your vin for campaigns. If it needs a reflash or whatever, it gets it. All of you will have the latest information next time it is at a Saturn Retailer for service.
That's not quite true, some places won't do it unless you are having a specific issue that is described in their service releases. This one sounds like it will make it around, since it's for diagnosing service issues, but the last one that dealt with driveability, people had to lie to get the update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
I took mine in for the cam sensor recall last week and I told the guy about the cold start problems and that I wanted the ECU update done.....he told me they were going to do it anyway and it was on the screen when he put my info in....It must have been linked in the system that I needed it, I was kind of surprised that they were going to do it anyway after hearing all of the stories about people having their dealer refuse to do it unless they were having the problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Its true in this case b/c it is a campaign i believe, but yes if there are future reflashes, which are not campaigns, they wouldn't automatically get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
from the sound of what the update includes and it's " content" or what ever the hell it is suposted to be fixing I just hope that Microsoft isn't involved...... (send error report?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow

Got my car back last night (all washed and vacuumed as usual, nice touch) and maybe it's just my imagination but the car is quicker now. Everything just seems more smooth and natural. The power around 4000 in 2nd is great!!! So far, so good. I'm a happy man. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I'm takin mine in for the cam sensor recall today, I'll grill them on version #'s of the ECU and OBD. Post tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
what is the very latest version #???
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Partsspec said:
Its true in this case b/c it is a campaign i believe, but yes if there are future reflashes, which are not campaigns, they wouldn't automatically get it.
What's a campaign? There has been 3 software releases that I can count, and not one can be verified by most Saturn techs, and 1/2 the people here went asking for the last one, only to be told: "If you're car dosen't demonstrate the specific issues described in our TSB, then we can't just update it for you'. That dosen't sound like much a campagin to me. You're telling me that the update to make life for the service techs easier is more important that the one that allowed the car to start when it was cold outside? You have people that are having a hard time getting it to start when it's cold, yet they have to produce the issue in front of the techs? After they drove the car there and warmed it up? Yet, an update to make diagnosis easier is more critical? Nice priorites there...
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top