Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry i am newbie when it comes to FWD performance. I know they are better in the snow is all and there is torque steer. Anyways..my mustang has a rear end gear ratio and i would assume all FWD do as well. Can u upgrade them like u can rwd?? Like i have stock 3.27's right now and i am gonna go with 4.10's in the future. Anyone know what the RL is if they do have them and can that be upgraded too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blu_Redline said:
the ring gear is 4.05:1

damn pretty steep...another reason why they are quick!! is there steeper gears for them yet?? i have no idea where they are even located!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
damn pretty steep...another reason why they are quick!! is there steeper gears for them yet?? i have no idea where they are even located!!
the ring gear is located on the differential inside the tranny, they usually are pretty easy to get out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
speed?

how do gear ratios make your car faster? i dont get how that effects your car, does it make u shift faster or what? so you want high gear ratios for more speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
it allows the car to rev up faster. the downside to it is it affects gas mileage, the 4.05 gear is the reason we do 70mph at 3000rpm, and having a higher gear like that will lower your top speed. so all in all it allows you to accelerate faster, but lowers gas mileage and top speed depending on how high of a ratio you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clownhair said:
the ring gear is located on the differential inside the tranny, they usually are pretty easy to get out.

cool thanks!!! i see u know your RWD and FWD car as i soon will do as well. I wonder what the ratio is on my 99 sl2?? hmmmm My plans is 4.10's for the stang!!
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
redlineRACER said:
how do gear ratios make your car faster? i dont get how that effects your car, does it make u shift faster or what? so you want high gear ratios for more speed?
The gear ratio is a multiplier of input rotations. So for every one rotation of the transmission output shaft, the wheels will spin 4.05 times. Same with the engine input into the transmission. The gears in the tranny step up, or down, the rotations of the engine. Which is them passed to the differential to be stepped up one more time, and then out to the wheels. The steeper the gear ratios, the faster you will go through the gear, basically. Don't feel bad, the gearing in a car is foreign to a lot of people. It gets really complicated to start messing around with since the whole system is effected by changes you make on any end of it.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sp00ner said:
The gear ratio is a multiplier of input rotations. So for every one rotation of the transmission output shaft, the wheels will spin 4.05 times. Same with the engine input into the transmission. The gears in the tranny step up, or down, the rotations of the engine. Which is them passed to the differential to be stepped up one more time, and then out to the wheels. The steeper the gear ratios, the faster you will go through the gear, basically. Don't feel bad, the gearing in a car is foreign to a lot of people. It gets really complicated to start messing around with since the whole system is effected by changes you make on any end of it.

it wasnt foreign to me tho, just the FWD part of it.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
redlineRACER said:
how do gear ratios make your car faster? i dont get how that effects your car, does it make u shift faster or what? so you want high gear ratios for more speed?
As an example, I'll just throw out some numbers here. Say your redline goes 14.50 stock in the 1/4 mile and you are below redline in 4th gear. Pop in a set of high 4.xx or low 5.xx gears and you would most likely run through the traps in 5th gear close to redline and drop into the high 13.xx ETs. The down side is your top speed would probably be 100 instead of 140 MPH and your gas milage would sink into the teens.

Also, throw in the fact that everything is calibrated for the 4.05 ratio, the ECU would probably have the car running like shit. -- the darkside of computer controlled engines, if you can't adjust the ECU, don't screw with the hardware. --
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top