Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't suppose most people here have gone through this, but what kind of numbers are you getting when you talk about a RL for trade-in?
It's not even on Kelly Blue Book, in the dealer's black book, they give it the basic Ion 3 price plus $675 for a so-called "Red Line Package". Which means you get around $10,500 + $675 for an 04 RL.
I didn't think they would depreciate this fast.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
magikal_dragon said:
:eek: $675 for the "Red Line Package"??

The seats are worth more than that!
That's what I thought. If you compare the RL with a regular Ion 3, the difference or the cost of "Red Line package" would be around ~$5,000. So that figures for a 90% depreciation for "Red Line package" in one year, insane...

·
Registered
168 Posts
here in ny we use a trade in book called galves its in there for 12750

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
That's why I bought gap insurance. Thinking about trading the RL in? Well then wrap it around a tree and start right over.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rlinbatonrouge said:
That's why I bought gap insurance. Thinking about trading the RL in? Well then wrap it around a tree and start right over.
a nifty idea as it may be, that reflects badly on your driving record! It may not be a good deal money wise if you get a hefty raise in the insurance rate.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
That's the beauty of living in Louisiana. I go to court for every ticket and get them fixed. That way, I have a clean driving record with no accidents. Of course, I could simply go home to New Orleans and leave the keys in the door after parking it in the Desire projects. That may help as well and keep my record clean.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rlinbatonrouge said:
Of course, I could simply go home to New Orleans and leave the keys in the door after parking it in the Desire projects. That may help as well and keep my record clean.
Now THAT is a much better idea.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
ill just keep this car and in 5 years work onto a luxury sports sedan a.k.a the G35! Ill turn the RL into a track/week end car ;) i bet ya the cobalt wont depreciate it will be like 18,000 or more freaking bastards! this world really is screwed up :mad:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Who knows what the cobalt will get trade-in value but I bet it won't be far behind our RL, the SRT-4 trade in value is also real low that is why I have seen some low miles 2003-2004 SRT retail at car lots in between 13-16k and that's retail so the are probably about 9-12k wholesale(or lower to close to trade in value). So Redline owners don't feel too bad. Hell, before I bought my 04 RL I was about to get me a 2004 blue SRT-4 with sunrrof with only 7k miles for only $15000 and I think I could have probably gotten it even for a lower price if I would have stick to it instead of buying my brand spanking new Redline. Used is most certainly the better way to go but then again the previous owner may have abuse the hell out of the car specially if is a car like the Redline,SRT-4, etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
According to Edmunds, the Cobalt SS will depreciate about the same.

Ion Redline: 5 year total $15,009
Cobalt SS: 5 year total $15,560

For comparison sake:
Corolla XRS: 5 year total $9,898
Acura RSX Type S: 5 year total $12,262
Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V: 5 year total $11,687

Japanese cars still have a huge advantage when it comes to resale value.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Cobalt will drop like an anvil on Jupiter, just like the Cavalier before it.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Don't confuse wholesale "trade-in" value (Kelly Blue Book) with "resale" value
BUT I agree most have undervalued the Redline "option"
JMO
WOT

·
Registered
681 Posts
Kelley doesn't properly address the Redline - you'll see inconsistencies through several value guides. NADA recognizes the Redline as the separate model and VIN code that it is.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Be glad you guys haven't purchased a Grand Prix. The 04s retailed at about $27k loaded up...and are now worth $12-13k in the SE Black Book.

Or how about an 04 Audi A8? MSRP was around $80k...worth $50k or so now.

Just about everything tanks in its first year.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I do 15 or so GM lemon law cases per week and part of my formal report is a base "current" value number....I see some UGLY drops.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Larry said:
...Ion Redline: 5 year total $15,009...
So I guess I'm going to have to pay $500 to get rid of it?

Unfortunately resale for domestics is completely skewed by the imaginary, inflated MSRPs. It also hurts buyers in States that charge sales tax on rebates and incentives (paid 8% on my last 2 vehicles even though the offical rate is 6%). Its about time Detroit start putting real prices on vehicles. I can't see any upside for consumers or the auto makers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts