Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from saturn for them to do my delivery inspection they could not do it the day I bought it and I was asking about the oil change.The tech.....hmmm said it took the person that changed the oil one hour to get out the filter is this for real or is there a trick to it?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Chazb said:
I just came back from saturn for them to do my delivery inspection they could not do it the day I bought it and I was asking about the oil change.The tech.....hmmm said it took the person that changed the oil one hour to get out the filter is this for real or is there a trick to it?

Are they saying that it took a trained, certified mechanic an HOUR to get that filter out? That's ridiculous. Even the very first time I changed my oil it only took me about 3 minutes.

Use a long extension to get the cap loose then just take the intercooler fill bracket loose and reach up under there. It's really pretty simple for anyone who has any sort of mechanical aptitude.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JPK said:
Are they saying that it took a trained, certified mechanic an HOUR to get that filter out? That's ridiculous. Even the very first time I changed my oil it only took me about 3 minutes.

Use a long extension to get the cap loose then just take the intercooler fill bracket loose and reach up under there. It's really pretty simple for anyone who has any sort of mechanical aptitude.

LOL,if saturn has problems I will show them your post on the subject.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My girlfriend took her ION 3 to the local Jiffylube and they turned out down outright. They will not do the IONs at all....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I watched the tech at Saturn do the oil change on my Redline! all you need is a 32mm half sized oil filter socket to get the filter off. You can get this part at almost any auto part store. If anyone tells you thay have to take off the Supercharger, time to go someplace else!

·
Registered
73 Posts
your right about the 32 mm socket being used but it is a rather tight space. i personally went out and bought the special socket made by snap-on. its a little pricy but works a lot better than just a plain 32 mm. the socket is also 3/8" drive instead of 1/2" which also makes it easier for getting into the tight place.

·
I
7,838 Posts
The hardest thing for me about the oil change is having Saturn charge almost $8 a quart for the oil. Found that out the first time i had it changed there, next time bring it with me.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
took me about 5 min to take the filter out and about another 5 to put the new one back in, i think the longest part of the whole change is waiting while you poor all 7 qts in there

·
Registered
808 Posts
what they are talking about is the car has to set for an hour to cool, try driving your car for 30 minutes then cramming your arm in the hole under the supercharger to get the filter out, can you say third degree burn.

·
Registered
808 Posts
bbrazil said:
My girlfriend took her ION 3 to the local Jiffylube and they turned out down outright. They will not do the IONs at all....
lol thats because the kids doing the oil changes like to put the wrong filter in or put it upside down and block the oil flow, resulting in a seized engine....I have made alot of money from jiffy lube and wal mart selling them new engines.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I walked around the front of a lube pit and saw some kid beating the hell out of somthing under my 81 Vette, Man I had his ass. Apartently he was having trouble turinng the filter CLOCKWISE, he ended up twisting the bitch off, OHhhh man. Anyways, that was the last time I tried to save some time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
unknownsuperhero said:
I walked around the front of a lube pit and saw some kid beating the hell out of somthing under my 81 Vette, Man I had his ass. Apartently he was having trouble turinng the filter CLOCKWISE, he ended up twisting the bitch off, OHhhh man. Anyways, that was the last time I tried to save some time.

lol,no wonder you look like that. ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I you don't want to hassle with it buy your own oil filter($4.50) and then go to walmart and buy the 5 quarts mobil one synthetic jug on sale for $19.99(you will still need about 2 more quarts) and then take it to the saturn dealer and give them the materials and it should cost only about $14 for them to do it for you. I did my last oil change I bought the 32mm hex socket, did the whole procedure I took off the bolts holding the coolant line and fit my hand in it and I still got my hand all scratch up and bloody. This was a little more time consuming and pain in the butt than I thought, I guess with time it will get easier and less bloody but I rather spend the extra $14 and let saturn do it for me.

·
Banned
572 Posts
fudge that shit buy six quarts (reduces windage without the 3/4) of royal purple ur own filter take it to martin tire 5 bucks for them to install

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I had the same problem. A buddy of mine works for an oil change place. They won't even touch it. He said he would do it, but I had a problem with him takeing the SC off to do it. lol

Apparently there is a special tool for getting the thing off. I'm not to sure, I have only had one oil change so far. I'll ask next time I'm in. Had it for 6 months and only have 3500 miles on it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I went all around trying to get an oil change and the only place I could get to do it was the Saturn dealership and they didnt have the oil in stock so I went and bought the oil and filter from Wal Mart and brought it to a different Saturn dealership and they told me my first oil change was free........saved me alot of money and I wont need another oil change till around the summer

most places wont work on our car because its too much trouble for them........just take it to the Saturn dealership or do it yourself

·
Registered
808 Posts
you do not have to remove anything to change youre oil, other than the oil cap, if you use your left hand and go in under the intake you can get the filter out pretty easy, And i would not use a aftermarket oil filter have seen 2 of them come apart, buy the $6 saturn filter.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
kazkillinger said:
fudge that shit buy six quarts (reduces windage without the 3/4) of royal purple ur own filter take it to martin tire 5 bucks for them to install
Are you saying to run the car low on oil? 3/4 of a quart is not going to make a difference in the windage effect man. Not in a 7qt pan. If you really think that helps bro, go for it, I'm not gonna tell you it dosen't. I would NEVER run a car a quart low on oil, particuarly not a supercharged one. If you're worried about crank windage, which really hampers front engine RWD car on hard accelerration. Install an oil pan with a control system, assuming that the car dosen't already have one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
65 Posts
yianco465 said:
I you don't want to hassle with it buy your own oil filter($4.50) and then go to walmart and buy the 5 quarts mobil one synthetic jug on sale for $19.99(you will still need about 2 more quarts) and then take it to the saturn dealer and give them the materials and it should cost only about $14 for them to do it for you. I did my last oil change I bought the 32mm hex socket, did the whole procedure I took off the bolts holding the coolant line and fit my hand in it and I still got my hand all scratch up and bloody. This was a little more time consuming and pain in the butt than I thought, I guess with time it will get easier and less bloody but I rather spend the extra $14 and let saturn do it for me.
I went the same route, buying the oil from Wal-mart, My dealer charged me $15. Still not bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts