Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to know which one of these cars is lighter, I've heard the RL is lighter but every magazine quotes the cobalt SS as the lighter one, also I've attached copies of car&driver reviews for both cars and they have the cobalt SS as lighter and also faster in both 1/4 mile and 0-60mph. I know it's just magazine times not real life times but I am curious as to whether the cobalt ss is faster because its actually lighter or because maybe they perform the test for the redline before the ecu upgrade, etc.

Sorry, I don't have a scanner so I just took pictures of both magazine reviews.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
yianco465 said:
I just want to know which one of these cars is lighter, I've heard the RL is lighter but every magazine quotes the cobalt SS as the lighter one, also I've attached copies of car&driver reviews for both cars and they have the cobalt SS as lighter and also faster in both 1/4 mile and 0-60mph. I know it's just magazine times not real life times but I am curious as to whether the cobalt ss is faster because its actually lighter or because maybe they perform the test for the redline before the ecu upgrade, etc.

Sorry, I don't have a scanner so I just took pictures of both magazine reviews.

I would expect the Cobalt to be faster in the mags because it's a Chevrolet and not a Saturn. I can tell you from experience on the street, that is not so. People believe that "Saturns are for old ladies and poor kids."

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The Saturn ION RedLine is:

• Lighter (half the weight - made of space age materials)
  • Faster (twice as fast - includes a g-meter)
  • Cheaper (they give them away for free to smart people)
  • Better Lookin (ooooohh babyyyyyy, gimme sum o dat!)
  • Better mileage (absorbs fuel energy from nearby lesser vehicles)
  • More powerful (SuperDuperQuadroTurboSonicCharged)
  • Unique (Every 2nd car you see will be a Neon, Cobalt, Sunfire, or Minivan)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Cobalt is definitely lighter by about 100 lbs or more. Your ION's have redundant sheetmetal under the plastic. Besides that, that extra door adds a decent amount of weight. Plus, the roof has to be heavier to stiffen up for the lack of B pillar.

So, in short, the magazines are correct. The Cobalt is lighter.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i think he's looking for a credible source of info, not the usual this is lighter crap.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
someone with an SS look in their door for curbweight. someone with a RL do it. probably the next best thing aside from actually getting each weighed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
my GVW is 3771 on my door which equals to 2771 curb weight

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Those magazines are all screwed IMO ( I even seen one web-based rag claiming the SS was 125lbs lighter due to the absence of the rear access doors. Sure they add weight, but not as much as full steel body panels!!

The 2006 GM ordering guides list the true "shipping weight" for each product in order to assist in accurately calculating various "destination charges"
That source of data lists as follows:
2006 Cobalt SS - 2991lbs (1357kg)
2006 ION Redline 2933lbs (1330kg)
So for the record, as far as GM is concerned the Redline is 58lbs lighter than the SS

HTH
WopOnTour

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
yea the redline has to be lighter... i know for a fact that we don't have redudent steel panels inside the doors cause i've taken them apart.. we do however have a bigger steel tubing in the doors which will add a little weight but still musch less then then all steel panels... plus our cars still never rust on the body... show shove that chevy

·
Registered
399 Posts
crazybrew609 said:
plus our cars still never rust on the body... show shove that chevy

by the time mine will rust i will have went through 5 engines lol... rust is a miniscule obstacle to a guy with a heavy foot and boost :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts