Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Redline in 2022?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  SClones 
#1 ·
Are these still good cars to buy? Reliability? What to look for in a used one?

Want to get one as a daily

#2 ·
If it has been taken car of then they are still great cars. I would have a prepurchase inspextion done so you know if there are bushing going or leaks and what not. Big thing to check ia that the intercooler pump is still working. To do so turn car on, open intercooler fill neck, squize right side tube (i thonk might be left side) and make sure or see flow.

#5 ·
Solid cars for sure. Change the oil regularly. Timing chain and water pump around 125kish.
Besides that, ive never really had problems put of any of my ions.

#6 · (Edited)
In my opinion the Saturn ions were made/manufactured with an "ok" rating. What I mean is that they were made to be repaired and maintained frequently at the Saturn dealer/service center. They have several issues from the start and were easily fixed when you brought the car back to Saturn. For example, the ions had suspension issues. They were very loud when driving over everyday bumps and turning corners in parking lots. There were ignition starting problems in the cold weather. New brake components needed to be replaced after a few thousand miles.

They had a redline version that many did not know about. It took many years for people to learn about the redline. The redline was made for performance but because of this, it requires additional maintenance and service.

I would not call the Saturn ion redline a reliable car because it requires extra service and maintenance to keep up with the higher expectations of a performance car.

The redline version requires special knowledge and/or learning.

Sounds negative but on the positive side, If one can put in the effort, the car is worth it.

#15 ·
This post is outdated but I have had my Red Chili Pepper Ion RL since new 2006. I have 210K on it now and still have the original clutch and timing chain. Drive it good and it takes care of you. Never had starting issues. It is loud when going over road services because the body is close to the ground and made of polymer, not metal. But when the road service is smooth like blacktop it's quiet. The issues I have had are failed intercooler pump, thermostat, and the black applique on the driver's door that broke off but was replaced. Oil, Brakes gear oil, and standard maintenance are all that is required.

#7 ·
All i can say is that i have owned my 06 since march 2006 since new, that i daily drive mine all the time and that i just hit 250k miles. It has been very solid overall and being in NJ rust has been becoming the big problem. Never touched the chains, but i do burn some oil, fix what needs to be fixed as it come up and hope i can find the parts when it's time.

#11 ·
I am the original owner of a 2006 Redline Ion Coupe, and it has been the most reliable, cost-effective car I have ever had ... hands down!! And really FUN to drive. I'm a classic car enthusiast and have always had various older concours car for show and club use. For the last 22 yrs I've had a 1969 Ferrari 365GT2+2 ... longer than I've owner the Redline. The Ferrari followed a 1971 BMW 3.0CSi, which I'd had for over 10yrs. I don't drive the Ferrari every day, like I do the Saturn, which has been a wonderful daily driver. I DO follow routinely the recommended servicing, including frequent oil changes. My mechanic says he has never sent a finer, better maintained example. I hope it lasts forever!!
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

#12 ·
I am the original owner of a 2006 Redline Ion Coupe, and it has been the most reliable, cost-effective car I have ever had ... hands down!! And really FUN to drive.
That thing looks phenomenal man. I bet the picture doesn't do it anywhere near justice. I managed to snag a very nice example myself for 6500 at 70k miles in februry, an silver 07' with the spoiler like yours has, but previous owners had installed the boost gauge, lsd trans (from a cobalt with 32k miles in like 2014-15), lowering coilovers, sideskirt underprotectors and a 2.5" magnaflow catback. I absolutely love this thing. I've tinted the taillights and marker lights, added some black touren tr60 wheels with a red line around the circumference, and have an black aluminum front splitter on the way. I love everything about this car. I plan on getting a carbon trunk and carbon wing later when funds allow. When I finally fix the map sensor code I have, I'm probably going to get it to stage 2.

#16 · (Edited)
I was just saying that it is not just an average car because of the obvious supercharger etc.

the many other Saturn components are easy to maintain - I agree

I like the red ones - did not know of the chili pepper, however - is that the official name of the color?

when I had my first ion - the ion2-2004 I was seriously concerned that my brand new car was making noises every corner and bump

so I took a test drive with the mechanic/tech at Saturn and he said the same thing about the noise -

That was good customer service that the tech took me for a ride and explained everything -

Go Saturn!

#17 ·
The biggest problem I've encountered is parts availability..namely body parts. They didnt make much for replacements and with maybe half of these still on the road, bumpers and rocker panels are impossible to find. Everyone I see in a junkyard the rockers are trashed because the dumbasses lift the cars with a forklift..same reason I avoid shops with belly lift..lifts. Engine parts can be had at any chevy dealer as its interchangeable with Cobalt SS stuff. Rockauto has been eliminating its stock of IRL parts so to answer the question, is it a good car in 2022..well if you dont mind being able to easily find parts then its great, otherwise its almost as bad as a vintage car lol. Other than that, its a cool non-cookie cutter car with solid performance

• Helpful
Reactions: rankinewasyn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.