Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
21 - 40 of 139 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
Name sounds familiar. Im not on Facebook anymore though.
Glad to see its moving along! Back when I was doing crazy amounts of part selling/flipping those dipstick tubes were hot. Sold a few on eBay for around 100.

Upgrading anything? Or just doing some freshening up?

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Name sounds familiar. Im not on Facebook anymore though.
Glad to see its moving along! Back when I was doing crazy amounts of part selling/flipping those dipstick tubes were hot. Sold a few on eBay for around 100.

Upgrading anything? Or just doing some freshening up?
So you're not on the Redline Forums or Redline Enthusiasts group? I've always wondered who I was talking to here that was on there..

I know not many people use these message boards anymore, I still post here incase there's some information someone needs. FB will only go back so far

Just freshening up really. I've done most of the upgrades I wanted to do

Only thing left is the suspension. Later this year I plan on doing the front and rear sway bar. For now I'm just gonna drive her in the summer once I get her back

· Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
I am. Just dont use Facebook. Well, prefer not to. Found my last 2 jobs on there. Feel free to send me a friend request though.
Billy McLoughlin. Got a Jeep Cherokee as my profile pic.

Great archives. I still frequent quite a few forums

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am. Just dont use Facebook. Well, prefer not to. Found my last 2 jobs on there. Feel free to send me a friend request though.
Billy McLoughlin. Got a Jeep Cherokee as my profile pic.

Great archives. I still frequent quite a few forums
For sure man I'll look you up. I'm Steven John in the groups I got my comp Redline as my pic

I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Mines a WJ 2002

I agree these forums still hold a plethora of information when your in a tight spot

I'll update when she's back home. Still having the suspension checked out

· Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
I had a 97 ZJ for a short time. Man I loved that straight 6. I'll get another one though. But 4x4 standard next go around

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had a 97 ZJ for a short time. Man I loved that straight 6. I'll get another one though. But 4x4 standard next go around
That's my favorite generation of the Grand Cherokee. I too used to have a 95 and I loved that thing regret selling her

· Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
They're solid. It was intended to be a work vehicle. But to many cars and not enough room always gets me

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well...to update everyone on the Redline which I have named Jasmine btw, but sometimes I call her Little Red.

The timing chain is all done and the car is running great so Bobby turned his attention towards the p0172 code.

Seems she does not like the ZZP exhaust and the high flow is causing some issues.
Upon research I discovered 2 codes that usually pop up when using high flow exhaust one is for the catalyst efficiency which I planned for and installed a bung extender. The other is the rich running condition (p0172) upstream and downstream compare to each other..... that's how they tell if the cat is doing what it needs to do and how much fuel to adjust. The algorithm is messed up causing the CEL

In order to fix it I need to have the car tuned. At a cost of 497.00 for the HPTuners, 2 credits, and 250.00 to have the tune adjusted I'm looking at about 750.00 to get this light off and keep the engine running good. On top of the 650.00 I just spent to have the timing chain done and oil pan cleaned/resealed. Then the 900.00 to have the clutch installed and the 700.00 exhaust setup. Then the other odds and ends I did to the car like the starter, aftercooler pump, aftercooler tank, ect.

I think its safe to say I'm well past my projected budget on this car and it never ends cause I still have to do struts, control arms, and tires! Oh my

Reactions: NFLT!

· Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
You may as well throw a pulley and injectors on it, too.
Its just money. We will make more.

Says people with money to blow 😂

Disclaimer. I'm not a guy with money to blow

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You may as well throw a pulley and injectors on it, too.
Its just money. We will make more.

Says people with money to blow 😂

Disclaimer. I'm not a guy with money to blow
Its funny, I was thinking the same thing!

I got #60 injectors plus the harness, and a 3.0 pulley. I also emailed ZZPerformance and they said their 1.0 tune will take care of the 172 code I'm getting.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. On one hand the ZZP 1.0 tune is cheaper than the remote tuning and I could afford for more upgrades like rear sway bar and LCAs. On the other hand the HPTuners would allow me to customize the tune and I could have changes made down the road for more "go fast" mods 🤷

I do know I'm doing the pulley\injectors since I already have that. I don't have a whole lot of blow money anymore so I gotta go one route

· Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
Yea. Like eagle said. Throw a dual pass endplate on that list, with the suspension stuff, and get hptuners later to update. Zzp 1.0 will get you going for now

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Update: I got my car back. Bobby did a great job through all the headaches. As I mentioned earlier the car developed a rather noticeable clunking sound in the front end. Turned out a whole plethora of problems with the suspension occurred. First off the strut mounts were bad, so he replaced them. During removal he discovered a broken coil spring 🤦we replaced both springs. The noise was still there so I decided to take the car back and get plates\insurance so he could test drive the car further. I had a set of ZZPerformance control arms ordered so I decided to put them on while I had her back, and that when I discovered the root of the noise, the sway bar bushings.

After talking with him we decided I would just finish everything myself since I already had the LCAs pulled and I got the sway bar bushings out in like 10 minutes. My car had 23mm bushings, but I ordered the Moog 24mm from ZZPerformance, but I also got some Moog 23mm from Rockauto in case I need them. Who knows

Ill get the car put back together and hopefully she's good in the suspension and I can continue with getting her tuned, rear sway bar, and tires. Below is a video of the passenger side bushing showing up and down movement. These Michigan roads are not kind on our suspensions

Attachments

· Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. Those bushings look original to be honest.
Lonnnng overdue!

Glad to see you rocking the ride again!

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Update: the Moog bushings and the ZZPerformance control arms are in. With the timing chain and clutch Bobby did this car runs and rides like brand new.

Gonna order the rear sway bar and 1.0 tune next week but I've been having a blast driving this car

Gotta meet back up this weekend and pick up some bolts and the passenger door trim that was left behind. Looks like we're in sight of the finish line!!!

Attachments

Reactions: NFLT!

· Registered
39 Posts
Update: the Moog bushings and the ZZPerformance control arms are in. With the timing chain and clutch Bobby did this car runs and rides like brand new.

Gonna order the rear sway bar and 1.0 tune next week but I've been having a blast driving this car

Gotta meet back up this weekend and pick up some bolts and the passenger door trim that was left behind. Looks like we're in sight of the finish line!!!
we may have talked about this on the FB forum but not sure. I noticed some squirrelly handling but only after I installed the FE5 LCA’s and MOOG 24 mm bushings. I previously installed the FE5/YYZ suspension with shorter LNF end links and it handled great, now, and only after the new bushings and LCA’s the R/H control arm is hitting the sway bar and it feels unsettled in long sweeping curves when I’m really pushing it.
Hopefully, when I switch back to the longer SB links, it won’t hit the arm but I’m also hoping it takes care of my weird handling issues.

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
we may have talked about this on the FB forum but not sure. I noticed some squirrelly handling but only after I installed the FE5 LCA’s and MOOG 24 mm bushings. I previously installed the FE5/YYZ suspension with shorter LNF end links and it handled great, now, and only after the new bushings and LCA’s the R/H control arm is hitting the sway bar and it feels unsettled in long sweeping curves when I’m really pushing it.
Hopefully, when I switch back to the longer SB links, it won’t hit the arm but I’m also hoping it takes care of my weird handling issues.
It wasn't until talking with a few members I discovered the control arms I put on were the stock LCAs for Cobalt SS. Idk why GM gave the Ion Redline steel and the Cobalt got aluminum..
Just proves more and more that Saturn was GMs whipping company, or red headed step shield 🙄

Hope you get yours straightened out. I'm not noticing any squirrly driving in mine.

Update, took the car for a drive after the new parts and met Bobby to get the parts and passenger door applique. She drove great, tight suspension, and has pretty much gone back to full power since first buying her.

Gotta do tires, tune, and sway bar

Attachments

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update: she got brand new tires and I'm getting the ecm tuned.

While the ecm is being shipped to ZZPerformance I installed the #60 injectors I had, so the car is basically gonna be stage II when everything comes back. I also ordered a rear sway bar when I ordered the tune. this should pretty much finish the car for now. I'll look at some lowering kits down the road. I pretty much got this car to the same level my 04 that I used to have was

Attachments

· Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well its been a while since I updated this thread. Not sure if anyone follows it anymore

I got the ecm back with the 1.0 tune and rear sway bar. She drove pretty good under normal conditions. When I got on her and going past 4k she cut out and fell flat on her face. After arguing with some other members in the group about the tune. I put a set of NGK 4644 plugs, gapped at .32 along with newer coil packs. That seemed to resolve the problem and I haven't had an issue since. Doing some test drive to resolve this issue I noticed I wasn't building much boost (5psi).

Checking the engine I noticed the bypass valve was hanging up and not closing all the way. I removed the actuator, cleaned the rod and greased it up. Testing it with my vacuum pump seems to be operating correctly now. I grabbed a ZZP 3.0 modular pulley and installed it on a newer lower mileage supercharger I had along with swapping the rest of the parts over. Once I receive a new supercharger gasket I can put her back together and see how she goes

Attachments

21 - 40 of 139 Posts