Rear sway bar was a night and day difference on my car. Def worth while mod

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well it's been a while since I updated this post

First I cleaned up the engine and added a little pizzazz

I've also been having a problem with the Redline after the tune. The car has been bucking and jerking when doing WOT pulls at 4k. Bucking has been so violent actually popped out of gear

I ordered an HPTuners and did a driving log and sent to a tuner. He says the car is running lean on WOT and suggested to replace the upstream o2 with a Bosh unit. I'm gonna try and get one in the next couple days and do another log

I'm also in the process of picking up another Redline. The current owner picked the car up in Tampa about 2 months ago, did some tuning/upgrades (3.0 pulley, port/polish blower, long tubes, ect) he's making a run to ZZP in Michigan and is dropping the car off to me.

Body wise the car needs some work (cracked fender, window moldings, various scuffs/fade) but the car has almost no rust and runs great. He did all the major maintenance (timing chain, Southbend clutch, ect.)

She's a black 2005 non-Comp car. Supposed to be delivered to me today 4/17

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Ok update time: this is kinda a long one so i apologize. I got the new upstream o2 installed on the 2006 and I've gotta take another drive log for the tuner

The 2005 has come along nicely as well. The car was delivered as discussed but with a few hiccups. Major one being the exhaust. The PO had an exhaust shop cobble together what they had on hand to get some sort of muffler on the car as he was about to bring her up to me.

Unfortunately that was a very bad repair attempt because they didn't even have the stock pipe size and went with a tiny diameter pipe that I'm guessing the muffler couldn't take the pressure and blew out lol. I have since swapped to a ZZP 2.5 cat back system.

The car had 2 s\c bypass solenoids installed on the car at delivery, and discovered this after cleaning up the engine bay a little (original one still mounted, 2nd one tucked away and electrical connector plugged in). The IM hose was capped off. I soon discovered the reason behind this after undoing all this and putting everything back to stock.

The solenoid wasn't working like it should and the PO replaced it which didn't fix it and didn't go any further. Hooking everything up properly resulted in little to no boost since the solenoid is a default open valve and keying on the car the ecm closes the valve and only opens it to limit the boost when needed like shifting gears and IATs get too high. The ecm was not closing the solenoid causing a boost leak resulting in 1-3 lbs of boost at WOT. Both solenoids were tested and working, I had voltage at the connector which is as far as I got since I just removed the solenoid altogether and can monitor my IATs myself. The vacuum line is now connected to my boost gauge.

The car still has the actuator installed, only the solenoid was removed which means the ecm can't limit the boost when it wants to which it wasn't doing anyway. I'm still only getting 10lbs of boost which I'm told is because of the long tube headers and 2.5 cat back.

I then hit a salvage yard and surprisingly found 2 QC Ions. I needed the A-C pillar covers on both sides, but they were smashed on both sets so I had to get a little creative and added a little pizzaz to her

Aside from some regular maintenance like sway bar bushings and links. I've been having fun with the car. Here's the full mod list so far

-new Cloyes timing chain
-South Bend clutch
-tires
-3.0 pulley
-3'' ZZP CAI
-Ported\polished blower
-60 lbs fuel injectors
-long tube headers (catless)
-2.5 ZZP cat back
-tuned on 93 octane
-head lights
-boost\Aeroforce Interceptor gauges