Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
As a little update too I'm supposed to be picking up my 2006 Comp car with new axles, and trans mounts. No fuel leak was discovered yet but ill be happy to have her back

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
I almost bought a super mint hhr ss for 1500 once. It had 200k on it, but it was like showroom clean (he had hit a curb and broke the knuckle and axle so it was sitting)

The guy needed some time to find the title and get it cleaned out for me. In doing so, he didnt shut one of the doors all the way. Then it stormed several times. And when I finally went back to look again the interior was DESTROYED. Earth was growing inside of it. I was so mad. Told him I wouldnt give him a dime over 500 now. Car is still sitting in his yard.

Anyway, glad you got it figured out. Water can trash a car real quick.

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I almost bought a super mint hhr ss for 1500 once. It had 200k on it, but it was like showroom clean (he had hit a curb and broke the knuckle and axle so it was sitting)

The guy needed some time to find the title and get it cleaned out for me. In doing so, he didnt shut one of the doors all the way. Then it stormed several times. And when I finally went back to look again the interior was DESTROYED. Earth was growing inside of it. I was so mad. Told him I wouldnt give him a dime over 500 now. Car is still sitting in his yard.

Anyway, glad you got it figured out. Water can trash a car real quick.
Yes it can.

I had a Vue Redline that had the sunroof drain tube shrink and disconnected from the spout on the passenger side sunroof. As a result water would flood the passenger floor, headliner, and seat. The car never fully recovered from that because I had nothing but electrical issues with sunroof, passenger side airbag, seat heaters, ect. Aesthetically the interior was trashed as well with permanent water stains

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Update: I picked up my Comp car yesterday with new axle seals, stage 1 axles, and OTTP solid trans mounts. I flashed my new tune to the car and installed my new wheels. However thus was a bitter sweet reunion!!

I'm happy to have my car back but the hour and half ride home was rough as I'm now losing clutch pedal pressure 😔

Its intermittent, sometimes I have strong pressure, other times I can't even get the car in gear and if I pump the pedal I get pressure back. the brake reservoir is full, i see no puddles under the car, and the metal rod for the pedal is tight and shows no play. Talking to a few members in the group it seems my TOB might have failed or failing, which is a real bummer seeing as I replaced the whole clutch with the upgraded kit about 5 months ago!!

I'm told it could also be the clutch pipe but either way I'm probably looking at pulling the trans again!!

I'm gonna have to research this a little more and start checking the car out. Ive never removed a clutch from one of these cars before so it will be a learning process for me, but either way not too happy right now

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
Exactly why mine is getting f23 swapped when I get it running again. Theres no keeping these transmissions happy

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Exactly why mine is getting f23 swapped when I get it running again. Theres no keeping these transmissions happy
I ordered this engine support and a attachment tool for vacuum bleeding. I'm gonna try and pull the trans this weekend. If its not the TOB ill at least gain experience on pulling these transmissions but I'm just gonna do everything while its out. Master cylinder, TOB, check the clutch wear since I'm not exactly sure what the actual issue is.

I read that people often get faulty TOB even when they upgrade. I have no way of confirming that unless I pull everything apart 🤷

I know I'm getting random pressure loss at the pedal, I checked the metal rod at the pedal and its tight so I don't think its the plastic bushing, my reservoir is full of fluid

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
those engine supports are pretty awesome.
Did you check that little bushing on the clutch pedal while you were down there too? Theyre like $15 on evil bay. and often the reason for clutch pedals breaking

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
Its not as difficult of a job as a lot of people would thing. Just take your time. Lay everything you take apart out the best you can. Itll be very tedious your first time. Take lots of pictures also

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Its not as difficult of a job as a lot of people would thing. Just take your time. Lay everything you take apart out the best you can. Itll be very tedious your first time. Take lots of pictures also
Update: I got the ecm and fuse box removed, clutch line disconnected and capped off, shift cables and bracket removed, upper transmission mount unbolted, steering shaft disconnected and the wheel tied in place, I got both sides of the suspension removed, fluid drained, and axles removed. I'm gonna leave the LCAs, steering rack, and sway bar on the cradle

Waiting on the engine support to be delivered and I can move to the next step??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
Looking good my dude!
If you have multiple jacks, it will def help dropping the cradle. Also reinstalling. First time I did it, I had 1 jack and 2 jack stands. Pretty much laid under the car, pulled the cradle on top of me, and used my legs and arms to raise it while an 8 year old started the bolts for me. It was a disaster.
That old saying, "work smarter, not harder" really clicked that day.

Youre on the right path! You got this!

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Looking good my dude!
If you have multiple jacks, it will def help dropping the cradle. Also reinstalling. First time I did it, I had 1 jack and 2 jack stands. Pretty much laid under the car, pulled the cradle on top of me, and used my legs and arms to raise it while an 8 year old started the bolts for me. It was a disaster.
That old saying, "work smarter, not harder" really clicked that day.

Youre on the right path! You got this!
Thanks she's getting there

Update: I got the cradle out. I removed the bolts on one side, set 2 jackstands to hold in in place, I set my floor jack under the middle of the other side, took the bolts out, removed the jackstands and held the side while my wife lowered the floor jack. The radiator brackets didn't wanna give at first but once the back hit the ground I wiggled the cradle and they popped. I shouted "she's out" and had was happy I actually accomplished that. Now I can pull the trans this weekend and finally see what's up

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
Smart way to drop the cradle. You are def in the home stretch, and saving a whole lot of money while youre at it!
Youre jack will be your friend lowering the trans too. Grab a ratchet strap or two if you have some laying around and strap it to the jack when you are ready to slide it off. Unless you wanna buy a trans jack. But honestly, I made do with man power and a floor jack.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts