Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got my Redline and im loving it.
I used to be a big Mustang ethusiast but living in a snow area I figured RWD is not the way to go out here. Not too mention the price of the new GT is like 28k. I had a couple 5.0's when I lived in CA.

Since the Redline is a modified version of the Ion I am wondering what parts have been replaced. Wondering what mods down the road I should look into. Specifically the following parts:

Pulleys
Cat Back
Heads
Throttle Body
Intake
Header

Appreciate all the help. Still getting used to a FWD car with power. The pulling effect is a lot different than the pushing from the RWD.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
so far Ill list all the know aftermarket parts there are.

Header

well that was a long list. What you will need to change over time is what you need this car to do for you. Head can take a beating so I dont think your gonna need to change that maybe a port/polish but thats it. Intake would be nice if they would make it. What are you looking for this car will beat any stock mustang gt all the way up to the 2002 I think. Thats a quick car. A limited slip is a given this car make too much torque for it not to have one. Exhaust will allow the supercharger to exhale a lot easier yield huge gains in the future and might be your biggest gainer. A pulley isnt needed the stock one will alow the car to get to 15+ psi if the wastegate/bypass doesnt open but that is up to the computer to decide. how bout good gas and oil changes. That should be your primary concern for your car. The aftermarket will come it jsut too new to be there yet. I have a ford focus svt and it took 3 years for anything to come out.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
goofyguy said:
What are you looking for this car will beat any stock mustang gt all the way up to the 2002 I think. Thats a quick car.
stock for stock 90% of the time a mustang gt from model years 99 to 03 will beat the redline, especially from a dig. The redline won't be far behind but the mustang is a faster car. If we can find a way to up the boost to 15 like you said then the scenario should reverse.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
your joking right. I assume you are. all of the fox body up to the new model motors had 200hp oooooh and 3++ in tq. and weigh in at 3600lbs. Sorry the numbers never lie.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
ive asked before and i guess ill ask again, this might be a good thread.......does the ccg crank pulley fit our model, i dont see why it wouldnt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goofyguy said:
your joking right. I assume you are. all of the fox body up to the new model motors had 200hp oooooh and 3++ in tq. and weigh in at 3600lbs. Sorry the numbers never lie.
I had two fox body 5.0's...

89 LX Coupe 5.0
Headers
Off Road H Pipe
2 1/2" Cat back, with Flows
Pulleys
3.55 gears

Best time at the track was 14.09

90 LX Hatch 5.0
Flowmasters only

Best time 14.75

If the redline runs a 14.5, thats pretty close.
Take it both my mustangs had over 100k miles on em.
Both had stock blocks, heads, cams, and intakes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
goofyguy said:
so far Ill list all the know aftermarket parts there are.
Im really asking if the above mentioned parts are different on the Redline than the regulay Ions.

It would be nice if we knew the actual specs of the parts on our cars. Anyone got any ideas on that?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
not to start a fight but like you said stock to stock the redline will win Im sorry. Now you said both of yours had a few mods like gears, exhaust, headers and so forth so that will get you the second you need to pull out.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
goofyguy said:
I can't believe you just said that. Slap yourself.
Ok I was talking about the sn95 mustangs (94-03) and more specifically the 99-03's when they got 260 hp. I also am going to assume you have no clue about mustangs since even the the 05's which are the heaviest weigh in at 3500. The fox's have been known to sometimes weigh in under 3000 lbs and the sn95 are about 3300. Your right the numbers never do lie and the fact that I have seen bone stock 99-03 mustangs running low 14's high 13's is real.

1989 Mustang LX 5.0L hatchback-----weight 3,110 lbs
Power to weight ratio : 13.82
1989 Mustang GT hatchback---------weight 3,194 lb
Power to weight ratio : 14.195
302 CI V8 Horsepower--225
Torque------300

2003 Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe------weight 3,273 lbs
283 CI V8 Horsepower-260
Torque-----302
Power to weight ratio : 12.58

2004 ION REDLINE weight--2960 lbs
123 CI I4 Horsepower--200
Torque------200
Power to weight ratio-----14.8

Still not convinced?

June 2001 Motor Trend
2001 Mustang GT with a m5 tranny.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 mile.

try arguing again.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
kalualani said:
Isnt it amazing though how close it is comparing a 2.0 sc Ion and a 5.0 mustang. Who would have ever thought that?
probably companies like Mitsubishi who were producing 2.0 cars that closely competed with the 5.0 mustangs when they were around.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yeah.......we cant beat stock gt's......we can, however, beat soft top gt's. but its very very close.

ur bein a bit generous to the redline, goofyguy....yeah they dont crush our cars, but on paper they'll beat us pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
yeah.......we cant beat stock gt's......we can, however, beat soft top gt's. but its very very close.

ur bein a bit generous to the redline, goofyguy....yeah they dont crush our cars, but on paper they'll beat us pretty easily.
and auto gts (stock)

·
Registered
87 Posts
First I'd like to say. We all know that the redline is underpowered, just like most GM engines, something they do. If you look at the dyno runs for the redline, whp will exceed the HP rating from factory.

Next point, our redlines are brand new. Mine only has 6800mi and that's probably the highest! A lot of the 99-03 mustangs have 70-80K mi or more. We would need to compare them when both engines are in prime conditions.

If you knew mustangs, you would know that the 4.6l sohc motors don't all have 260hp. Some have more some have less. My 2 good friends both have 2000 mustang GT's. 5 spd. Identical mileage, 32K on each motor. One black one grey. Only difference, GREY has leather. They went out racing, both in completely STOCK condition. The black one would slowly but consistently pull away in every race (in 2nd & 3rd gear pulls- where driver skill did not matter- not to mention an extra person in his car-me). You would also know stock 99-03 GT's are good anywhere from 13.9-14.4 in the quarter. It all depends on the car & driver. The driver of the BLACK GT works @ CJ PONY PARTS. A very large mustang specialty store. He knows basically everything about every year mustang from 1964.5 – 2005. His company bought an 05 mustang just to put it on display.

We've only really seen a few track times for the redline. 14.5, 14.6, 14.9.
Personally I took the car to the track the first week I got it (less than 1K mi). I didn't really know how to drive it or launch it. All of first spun and hopped & I missed third. 15.40 @ 94 mph. bad r/t .667. At this time I wasn't able to touch my friends GT off the line or in a race. That same day @ the track he ran a 14.27 STOCK. Since then my motor has broken in & I’ve learned how to drive and where to shift (the tach is behind as we all know). In a race where we both get off the line perfectly, he will pull half a car on me but I’ll catch up around 80 and we’ll be dead even till top speed (147mph) is how high I have taken it. This is the BLACK one from the previous paragraph. I beat the GREY one.

Street driving is A LOT different than the track. What you can do at the track, you can’t nessicarily do on the street. Especially for RWD. A mustang GT has a faster track time no doubt at all. But on the street the Redline can compete with it. I’ve raced like 6 mustangs now. All on the street. Each one different, each result different so far I’m 3/6 and that’s against some modded stangs, because I knew all the drivers.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
HersheyRedLine said:
Street driving is A LOT different than the track. What you can do at the track, you can’t nessicarily do on the street. Especially for RWD. A mustang GT has a faster track time no doubt at all. But on the street the Redline can compete with it. I’ve raced like 6 mustangs now. All on the street. Each one different, each result different so far I’m 3/6 and that’s against some modded stangs, because I knew all the drivers.
It is a lot different than the track, but the nod should still goto rwd. I know I can still get out the hole on the street pretty damn good with my Firebird while my redline likes to spin the tires and wheel hop like crazy.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
HersheyRedLine said:
Mine only has 6800mi and that's probably the highest!
unfortunately i've already broken 7000 as of last night, and climbing, should be over 7200 by monday!

anyway, i've beaten a couple mustang GTs, all from a roll though, none were the newer (not new) ones, although i beat one of the newer ones from a roll, but who knows if it was a GT or not (i didn't win by much but i stayed ahead)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm pushing 10,000 :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HersheyRedLine said:
Next point, our redlines are brand new. Mine only has 6800mi and that's probably the highest! A lot of the 99-03 mustangs have 70-80K mi or more. We would need to compare them when both engines are in prime conditions.
1500 so far.

·
Registered
355 Posts
guess I need to do some more driving. lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts