Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Redline Power Programer???

4K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  Tibbett 
#1 ·
Hi---Does anyone know who is going to have the power programer for the Redline(hypertech---superchips---???)

I had the hypertech on my last car and it worked great!!!

This car should be even better because it's supercharged...

I think that a power programer will also be like getting the 3.0 flash from saturn but better because we should be able to raise the rev limiter...turn on the cooling fans at lower temps and alot more options...

They got 43 RWHP out of a Bone Stock 2003 cobra supercharged V8 on the dyno with just a hypertech program and another 20 RWHP with a smaller pully for 63 RWHP total...

If we can get 1/2 of the gains with our 4 cylinder superchaged motors that should be a solid 30+ FWHP for $500 total without any intake or exhuast work...Im sure that HP will be more for cars with those mods...

I have heard that the programers should be out soon but no real dates...

#3 ·
WopOnTour said:
Fill me in... What's a 3.0 Flash ??? :confused:
WOT
The 3.0 reflash from the dealer. I had the dealer do it to both of my RL's and oh my god it was like driving a different car. But maybe its because my RL's are like ones from the first batch made(I recieved both of them in early june and I live on the west coast).

#4 · (Edited)
The term "3.0 Flash" is obviously some term someone here coined

There is no such term used by the dealer or anyone involved with the service programming of your car

It has no basis or refererence to anything related to any PSBs involved with the reflash of the Redline.
(your firmware is determined by a Part Number# and there ARE differences between the 04 and 05 models- so using numbers like 3.0, 3.1, 4.0 like a Windows software package is technically unsound and just muddies the waters)

I would suggest everyone stop using it

WOT

Here are the "latest and greatest" calibration part numbers for the Redlines
Code:
2004 Model Year- 12597977
2005 Model Year- 12598558
This number can be verified on your car with a suitably equipped scan tool

#5 ·
WopOnTour said:

There is no such term used by the dealer or anyone involved with the service programming of your car

It has no basis or refererence to anything related to any PSBs involved with the reflash of the Redline.
(your firmware is determined by a Part Number# and there ARE differences between the 04 and 05 models- so using numbers like 3.0, 3.1, 4.0 like a Windows software package is technically unsound and just muddies the waters)

WOT

Here are the "latest and greatest" calibration part numbers for the Redlines
Code:
2004 Model Year- 12597977
2005 Model Year- 12598558
This number can be verified on your car with a suitably equipped scan tool
I'ts what the service tech said other than that I have no idea.

#8 · (Edited)
Sinister redlines said:
I'ts what the service tech said other than that I have no idea.
Catshreds said:
Exactly! It is the service techs who are using the upgrade numbers 2.0, 2.5 and the latest, 3.0. So if you want to blame somebody for "muddying the waters", you should start there! ;)
LOL
I dont think so
No genuine Saturn tech who actually DOES these upgrades would be using this terminology. It just does NOT exist anywhere in Saturn or GM! Are you maybe referring to maybe the version of SSS or TIS?? Irregardless that has nothing to do with the actual SPS file version that's downloaded to your car.
ANY Saturn tech would tell you the same.
WOT

#10 ·
WopOnTour said:
LOL
I dont think so
No genuine Saturn tech who actually DOES these upgrades would be using this terminology. It just does NOT exist anywhere in Saturn or GM! Are you maybe referring to maybe the version of SSS or TIS?? Irregardless that has nothing to do with the actual SPS file version that's downloaded to your car.
WOT
Well I didnt wake up this morning thinking I would make up this crap so if you want to talk to my tech( at a saturn dealer )pm me and i'll give you the phone #.

#11 ·
WopOnTour said:
LOL
I dont think so
WOT
You're right, we just make this shit up for your private amusement! Keep LOL smart guy! :mad:

#13 · (Edited)
I was just curious, my father has this code reader which works on his '04 ION Sedan and I was wondering if it will work on our cars? I mean, I can try it myself (lol...I will when I get time...damn re-grand opening of my store) but I'd like to know what you guys thought ahead of time. Oh...and where is our port to plug it into....lol, I feel like a retard for asking that. (I know this isn't a programmer, but I really didn't want to start a new thread on this and it sort of applies)

#14 ·
XeroState said:
I was just curious, my father has this code reader which works on his '04 ION Sedan and I was wondering if it will work on our cars? I mean, I can try it myself (lol...I will when I get time...damn re-grand opening of my store) but I'd like to know what you guys thought ahead of time. Oh...and where is our port to plug it into....lol, I feel like a retard for asking that. (I know this isn't a programmer, but I really didn't want to start a new thread on this and it sort of applies)
XeroState
It should work to read DTCs at least. The specs say it is J1850VPW compliant which GM calls "Class 2 data" and specifically what the ION Redline is using. In fact it just might work for the "regular" 2.2 ION as well. Those use a "dual wire" high speed CAN (well technically GMLan) which this tool appears to also be able to cope with. It's not a real scan tool, but not bad for 200 beans IMO.
Let us know.
WOT

#15 ·
Oh I will...and yes it does work on the 2.2 ION's (my dad owns a sedan)...but where is our port (you know..to plug this into)..I don't care to look and am to lazy to even try...lol.

#16 ·
WopOnTour said:
LOL
I dont think so
WOT
My Saturn Tech also called my last one the version 2.0 upgrade... sorry...

#17 · (Edited)
Look
Let's just cut the mass hysteria over this
I do this for a living, for a very long time, and have reprogrammed a few dozen Redlines (how many have YOU done?)
I will no longer to continue to dispute what your saying as it's ludicrous (blame your techs all you want- they're used to it, and can take it)
But I seen someone here propagating this same BS on the SaturnFans Redline forums a few weeks back. (I wont name- names)

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VERSION 1.0, 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 OF THE REDLINE SOFTWARE PERIOD!

I'm not calling you liars, all I'm trying to do is HELP YOU to help yourselves when you visit your Saturn store to obtain these services. Many of you have claimed that your "stupid dealer" or "dummy tech" couldn't find the "Version 2.5 upgrade" - well there's a very good reason for that- THERE"S NO SUCH THING!!And all you guys do by going to the dealer with numbers like this, claiming to be "in he know" is cause unneccessary confusion, and contribute to your own dissatisfaction when they say that they "don't know what you're talking about."

Someone here obviously concocted this 1.0-2.0 version terminology, to represent the sequence of updates that exists. All I can tell you is OUR software doesn’t work that way and those numbers are MEANINGLESS.
You dont want to believe me? Fine!! Call it whatever you want, but I refuse to sit idley by and watch people here bad mouth their Saturn techs over some forum concocted b**ls**t, just because some single-sentenced, self-proclaimed forum "guru" (that's never even TOUCHED a TECH2 let alone use one) says "Unite and Go forth to thy dealerships for the version 3.0 update".

Below are some screenshots I took while updating an 04 Redline that show ALL that can be seen during the "pass-through" process during both the "check for updates phase", "reflashing phase" and "post reflash advisement phase".
So if there's a Saturn tech here that does it differently somehow, using a different numbering system, please fill me in!
WOT

Attachments

#18 ·
No kidding! Most of us know that anyway, yet Saturn techs still use these terminologies... yes, we're all making it up. No one ever heard a Saturn Tech say that. Just like during the same visit when the tech told me that Saab is not affiliated with GM, I have a Getrag tranny, and that there was no TSB for the Cam Position Sensor. I'm making all those up too.

We appreciate your input and particually your tech tidbits, but if you think that we're all a bunch of liars, you can kiss my ass. You seem to be the only person here that is dealing with well informed, and well educated techs. The tech I talked to on the phone told me I should be able to see my oil filter right under the car on the drivers side... So I'm not sure where you come off calling everyone here a liar. I know that Saturn does not use these versions internally, but more than one person has been told those numbers. Maybe if Saturn could get any of their shit together, we wouldn't have misunderstandings like this. Maybe :

the intercooler would be wired right, the cam seal wouldn't leak, forum users wouldn't have to update Saturn dealerships as to new TSBs, the Comp. Package would be out, they wouldn't be confused when someone explained to them that the intercooler was running in reverse, they wouldn't use a scan tool to check the intercooler pump direction, the trunk lid wouldn't scratch, they wouldn't need 4 software updates.... etc...

#19 ·
WopOnTour said:
Look
Let's just cut the mass hysteria over this
I do this for a living, for a very long time, and have reprogrammed a few dozen Redlines (how many have YOU done?)
I will no longer to continue to dispute what your saying as it's ludicrous (blame your techs all you want- they're used to it, and can take it)
But I seen someone here propagating this same BS on the SaturnFans Redline forums a few weeks back. (I wont name- names)

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VERSION 1.0, 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 OF THE REDLINE SOFTWARE PERIOD!

I'm not calling you liars, all I'm trying to do is HELP YOU to help yourselves when you visit your Saturn store to obtain these services. Many of you have claimed that your "stupid dealer" or "dummy tech" couldn't find the "Version 2.5 upgrade" - well there's a very good reason for that- THERE"S NO SUCH THING!!And all you guys do by going to the dealer with numbers like this, claiming to be "in he know" is cause unneccessary confusion, and contribute to your own dissatisfaction when they say that they "don't know what you're talking about."

Someone here obviously concocted this 1.0-2.0 version terminology, to represent the sequence of updates that exists. All I can tell you is OUR software doesn’t work that way and those numbers are MEANINGLESS.
You dont want to believe me? Fine!! Call it whatever you want, but I refuse to sit idley by and watch people here bad mouth their Saturn techs over some forum concocted b**ls**t, just because some single-sentenced, self-proclaimed forum "guru" (that's never even TOUCHED a TECH2 let alone use one) says "Unite and Go forth to thy dealerships for the version 3.0 update".

Below are some screenshots I took while updating an 04 Redline that show ALL that can be seen during the "pass-through" process during both the "check for updates phase", "reflashing phase" and "post reflash advisement phase".
So if there's a Saturn tech here that does it differently somehow, using a different numbering system, please fill me in!
WOT
***, you are living proof that you can be really intelligent and still act really stupid. Whether you are right or wrong is irrelevant to the FACT, that some owners are being given bogus info regarding updates. I, for one, called my dealer about scheduled service and was told I might want to "wait until version 3.0 is out so I can get it done together". I DID NOT GET THAT FROM THIS WEBSITE or any other. Nor was I bad mouthing techs! Climb down off of your high horse of indignation and talk to us mere mortals with a true sense of trying to help.

#21 ·
mi_redline said:
***, you seem like you know what you are doing and all but . . do you have to come across like such an know-it-all *******?
Well if THAT aint the pot calling the kettle BLACK! I suggest you go back and read some of your own "prose" MI... Just what are YOUR credentials?- other than being just another "know-it-all" cop! (I deal with similar guys in recon all the time- they think they're engineers!)

mi_redline said:
Grow up. Act like a man for Gosh sakes instead of a 15 year old trying to impress his 1st date's brother.
Wow, how insightful, I sure hope that type of advice makes a real impression on the rookies you work with. I know it's changed MY life. FYI , I'm many years older than you, and like you have done all the "growing up" I'm gonna do. I'm not trying to impress ANYONE here or anywhere else, but I'm still waiting to see even ONE truly useful and constructive post from the like's of you. I wont hold my breath.
WOT

#22 ·
Look, I'm sure you know tons, but just to add one more point, I just called to schedule my recall work, and the re-flash... guess what he just called it? Version 3.... He asked "Are we doing the campaign work while it here?" So I say "What does that entail?" "It's just a quick software upgrade to the newest version 3 flash...." so again, you might know a ton, but alot of your company techs are not. Or at least have invented some layman's terms for it. I don't know, and don't personally care what they call it in house, or out of house, or while they're sitting at home drinking. However, more than one person has referred to it as version X.X, and my guess is people will continue to. If you want to get something done about it, maybe you should get on the horn with someone in an authority position, and make sure techs aren't using that term. It's as confusing to me, and it is to you...

#23 ·
Catshreds said:
***, you are living proof that you can be really intelligent and still act really stupid. Whether you are right or wrong is irrelevant to the FACT, that some owners are being given bogus info regarding updates. I, for one, called my dealer about scheduled service and was told I might want to "wait until version 3.0 is out so I can get it done together". I DID NOT GET THAT FROM THIS WEBSITE or any other. Nor was I bad mouthing techs! Climb down off of your high horse of indignation and talk to us mere mortals with a true sense of trying to help.
OK let's just say I believe that you all have encountered technicians that propagated this information. Done! (I BELEIVE YOU!!)
Now just what do you want to DO about it? Do you want advice that's going to help you get past the service advisor at the door or not? More and more, people are coming in the dealer's door armed with armloads of forum print-outs and schematics, making unsubstantiated claims of "recalls" and TSBs provided by "factory engineers" on this and that forums. This version 1.0, 2.0 business is just another prime example of it.
Just what would you have us do??
"OK Mr. Customer, lets sit down and review your data. It should only take an hour or so. I'm certain that whatever the RL forum "guru" has said - IT MUST BE TRUE!! So I'm going to replace all these defective parts that he has identified in this truly informative post, that I will promptly send to GM Engineering as a revision to eSI. Don’t worry, It's OK if GM wont pay me or my dealership for all these parts or the labour - because all I care about is looking after YOU the customer, and hey we made at least $700 when we sold you that Redline, so that should cover our power bill this week - right??
I mean what do you all expect?
I see posts all the time with people chanting "Let's unite" and bombard the dealer with our demands. In my experience all it does is bring up a "red flag" at the front door- when a customer comes in obviously wanting satisfaction because "Redline_in_Minneapolis says HE got HIS RL fixed by bringing in all this "supporting" forum documentation, WHY NOT ME??!!

So my question to those involved in this forum remains?...
WHAT JUST WHAT IS THE SOLUTION??
Should we (like GM is implying) get away from treating someone who buys a $15000 car as someone "special" and move Saturn "up the food-chain" to a more discerning buyer that won't bother to spend a bunch of time on some anonymous forums to "prepare" for a dealer visit? Don't bother giving me the "GM/Saturn needs to build a better car" BS as like it or not this is the nature of the industry and if people like you weren’t driving a Saturn, you would just be on the _________ forums with the EXACT SAME CONCERNS

So - Can forums like this REALLY hold a productive place in the process? Or are we all just wasting our valuable time at the keyboard?

Sincerely
WopOnTour

#24 ·
WopOnTour said:

WOT
I'm not sure... you're the one telling everyone that they didn't hear what they heard. Remember this quote? This part in particular:

So, if you're now saying that you believe the dozen or so of us that were told those numbers, that about wraps it up. What do we want to do about it? We would like to see you come down off your platform, and that's about it. The Saturn techs are HORRIBLY misinformed, mistrained, or just plain morons. One of the three are true, at least at my dealerships. I give them the benefit of the doubt, since it was me and the forum that got them the TSB for the Cam Sensor Seal, and they had it fixed right up 2 hours later, I'll go with uninformed. You can blame that on whoever you like. You act like the Saturn dealer is the bestest place on Earth! Well, guess again. You can stick up for the dealerships all you like, but there's plenty of evidence otherwise if you want to look for it. Since last I checked, no one was bashing the dealers, other than a few unsatisfied customers, it's not even a topic of discussion.

I will point out that they weren't willing to double check my TSB# that I got from this forum, until I told them that it was within 30 days, and I would now like my money back...

Seems like this forum does a good job producing, even though not all areas do. At least my intercooler flows water the right way now, I got my Cam Sensor replaced right over a month before the recall, and was aware that there was a new software update the first time I had it fixed, and knew that there was another one coming a month before the orange card showed up at my house. Also, the K&N group buy went well, the sorting out of where our transmission comes from, which isnt a Getrag like SATURN TECHS said it was. Among a few other odds and ends... so are we waisting our time at our keyboards? Maybe, maybe.... I know I've found it quite useful....

#25 · (Edited)
Sp00ner said:
Look, I'm sure you know tons, but just to add one more point, I just called to schedule my recall work, and the re-flash... guess what he just called it? Version 3.... He asked "Are we doing the campaign work while it here?" So I say "What does that entail?" "It's just a quick software upgrade to the newest version 3 flash...." so again, you might know a ton, but alot of your company techs are not. Or at least have invented some layman's terms for it. I don't know, and don't personally care what they call it in house, or out of house, or while they're sitting at home drinking. However, more than one person has referred to it as version X.X, and my guess is people will continue to. If you want to get something done about it, maybe you should get on the horn with someone in an authority position, and make sure techs aren't using that term. It's as confusing to me, and it is to you...
Spooner
Please keep in mind that the person you were speaking to is NOT a technician. Most service advisors (not ALL of course) these days have absolutely ZERO technical background and are hired for their "people skills". Ever notice how they almost always agree with what you are saying?? That's what we PAY them (admittedly not enough) TO DO!. So certainly if someone comes in, armed with 100 sheets of "Internet Research" even if it's ALL BS for some reason it's taken as gospel, and plants the seed of misinformation. AND IT GROWS!!

I AGREE- You SHOULDNT care what it's called , just put your trust in your dealer in that if it's required, it will be done. Forget all the "I got version xyz and you don’t" envy BS and start ENJOYING your car! All of this forum stuff does is "spread the gap" between the technician and the customer, which IMO is BAD FOR BOTH OF US!
I will finish my participation on this thread with one small piece of advice - take it or leave it. If you want to receive the best service and satisfaction from your Saturn service department DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT go in there armed with forum based information attempting to get your car "updated" to some "latest and greatest". Your dealer IS NOT Saturn or GM, they are a relatively "small" business that is attempting to keep 40-50 people gainfully employed to make an honest living. The dealership technicians are at the mercy of the warranty "flat-rate" system, so can only do a good job for you- if you play along.

When you are coming in expecting a repair to coincide with a bulletin, just use 1 or 2 of the published SYMPTOMS from the bulletin as your complaint. Be prepared to make that the ONLY concern within any single discipline. ie "I've been experiencing a drivability concern and it's a "HARD START when COLD" (if that's the symptom printed on the PSB) Don’t bother mentioning that you also noticed a "lack of power" (unless IT TOO is on the same bulletin) You see the dealership is only going to be paid by GM for a SINGLE drivability diagnosis and repair, so if you put more than 1 down- Only one will be addressed. If there was something else (another bulletin) for other conditions that may exist, you may have to return for another visit in order to be completely satisfied.

WE KNOW this sucks, but it's what WE have to deal with. Your dealer will be paid by GM to diagnose exactly ONE concern (eg drivability)and to make ONE repair. End of story. Anything done over and above that, is on the technician’s OWN TIME! (I kid you not) so YOU wont work for free and neither should your technician, but if you bring in a big "shopping list" of drivability concerns, I can tell you you're NOT going to be satisfied.

I was hoping that with a newer forum as "young" as this one, we might be able to work together to make everyone happier with their cars and about being part of the Saturn community- but maybe I was wrong
(I've been "involved" since 1990 and sometimes miss the “good ol Saturn” days, but those days appear to be gone forever)
Good Luck with your Saturns or whatever car you purchase next

If anyone wants some advice on their car- feel free to PM or email
*** out

#26 ·
So what do you recommend to people that know something is wrong, and upon telling the service department, the techs look at them like they're insane? I understand completely what you're saying, and when I had the pages of info in hand, I waited 3 days to or so before using those to lean on them. I can imagine some people here headed in with 3 pages of forum discussions and nothing but one obscure number hidden in it. I had mentioned hearing about the TSB when I took it in, mentioned it was from a forum, and the tech rolled his eyes at me, and said 'Oh, great...'. Oddly enough the forum had it right on, and they sure as hell didn't apologize for blowing me off like that. Thats fine, I've dealt with mechanics for years, and that's why I do everything possible myself.

I did exactly what you told other to do, described some symptoms, told them how it was acting, and just as I was leaving I mentioned to him about hearing of a TSB. Mainly to give them a direction to go off. I also know that some people have taken their cars in for this intercooler wiring, and had the dealership tell them that it's correct, when the owner knows damn well that it isn't. Now it's one thing to go in there trying to get a software update that you think is giving you 100hp, but it's the same result no matter what the issue. It's hard to go quietly when you know that you've been given the brush off. Almost as though the resent you telling them what is wrong with the car. So what do you tell them, when you know you're being blown off? What is the right thing to do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.