650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn those seats are like 1351.50 a piece

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
richsoucie said:
damn those seats are like 1351.50 a piece

yeah, i've looked into that since i burned one (i'm a dumbass i know). almost double what you're willing to spend is kind of a shock when you find that out, isn't it. hell, even the seat covers are 200+

·
Registered
524 Posts
Vita said:
yeah, i've looked into that since i burned one (i'm a dumbass i know). almost double what you're willing to spend is kind of a shock when you find that out, isn't it. hell, even the seat covers are 200+
Anyone else like to hear that story?

Tom

·
Registered
610 Posts
What do you want them for - an Ion? If not, Redline seats are not standard Recaros that you can buy brackets for installion in various cars. The are just Recaro designed/licensed adaptions of the Ion seat. If you are looking to upgrade an Ion, I've been experimenting with seat modifications in my Redline. My wife is in a wheelchair and the Recaros are difficult to transfer into. So I bought some junkyard coupe seats to try.

Here's what I learned so far. The Redline bottom pan, cushion, and upholstery are interchangeable with standard Ion (4 bolts - I've done it). The bottom is also interchangeable between driver and passenger. The Recaro bottom pan is 90% the same as standard. It just has some extra tubes welded on to support the side bolsters. I haven't had the back apart yet but I'm sure the differences are minor. The Redline passenger seat does not have the fold-flat design so you would need to get a sedan frame (dime a dozen) if converting a coupe.

I don't know what it would cost to buy just the Redline unique parts, but my experience trying to buy another GM seat led me to believe there is no discount to buy the entire assembly. Considering all the color and option variations, it wouldn't make sense to stock/sell complete seat assemblies. If Vita's $200 figure is for both the bottom and back upholstery, I think $700 might be in reach. Buying just the foam and steel might be an even better way to go. The RL fabric won't match you car anyway. The blue/black weave was only available in Ion2 coupes. And even those seats have completely different styling. You would need a pattern for the RL upholstery though.

Have you tried raising the front of the seat? I did this with a standard seat and there was a big improvment. Lack of thigh support was the biggest problem with the std Ion seat IMO. Just replace the front seat pan bolts with some longer ones and you can add spacers to your liking. Even a quarter inch makes a big difference.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah im just lookin to get some better seats in my ion 2 they have no support at all and when i take a corner i get thrown all around

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Hit up Summint and Jegs, they have racing seats that range anywhere from $200 and up. If you just need good support, check them out. I can't promise anything in the area of comfort though. Racing seats are notoriously uncomfortable. I guess that's why you're looking at the Redline's seats...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok first a question is the seat bracket on the redlines seats(the piece that is between the seat and the floor) the same exact one that is in the ion 2 coupe. And also would any of you that fubared your seat covers be interested in buying a set i will give up the bottom and back cover for both the passenger and driver side front seats for say $300 or best offer over $250.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
these are $270 a piece from the dealer ouch. Send me an email if you are interested in these

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
richsoucie said:
ok first a question is the seat bracket on the redlines seats(the piece that is between the seat and the floor) the same exact one that is in the ion 2 coupe. And also would any of you that fubared your seat covers be interested in buying a set i will give up the bottom and back cover for both the passenger and driver side front seats for say $300 or best offer over $250.
I'm pretty sure the brackets and everything are the same, just different coverings and paddings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=249519&prmenbr=361

PN#555-70240 High back sport seat "all black" 199.99

They also have all tan, all grey, blk/red, blk/blue, blk/yellow for 219.99 each. These seem like really nice seats, there are no logos on the headrests like alot of the others out there. I am actually going to get the black ones for my 68 camaro. BTW I think the universal sliders are extra.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts