Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost my bottom gears (2, 4, &R) in my '04 Ion Redline. Took it to a small country mechanic and he said that I need a whole new transmission!!!! up to $3,500. Is he correct, or is there a more economical fix?

Background: 2nd gear has always been difficult to catch, but now it is gone completely as well as 4th and reverse. Problem started when i went to drive it home from work, there was no bad sound or grinding of gears.

Please help!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Id check yer cables. Is the shifter loose like its not pulling or pushing anything or will it just not go into the gears at all.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Check to see if your linkage has broken due to hard shifts. Next, find out why it is so difficult for you to shift in the first place. Is it only hard for you to put it in reverse if your car isn't moving? If thats the case, you're probably ready for a new ToB. How well do you know this "mechanic?" If he didn't check your cables to make sure they're not broken... what an *******.

Here's your economic fix.
LSJ CABLE ASM-M/TRNS SHFT LVR 10383794

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Id check yer cables. Is the shifter loose like its not pulling or pushing anything or will it just not go into the gears at all.
sounds like just the "push" gears. lol, way to post before me. XD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP here: If i push really hard or 4th i can get the dog teeth to grind. I'm taking that as a positive

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
take a peek at your shift cables under your pcm, I bet they're broken. they have a plastic sleeve that keep the cable portion semi rigid, that is what normally breaks and keeps one from being able to use 2 4 and r. 1,3 and 5th are pulled by the cables, so there's no need for them to stay rigid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP here, problem solved! All it was, was a small pin that held the cables together. Total Bill $145.00 and 95% was labor

Thank you all for your help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts