Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonight was a long awaited race between me and my friend with a 2003 mustang gt with short shifter, and flowmasters. i got a 05 redline with K&N CAI and thats it. he was talking alot of trash talk on how hes going to blow me away and shit like that. we go to a 1/2mile stright away and mark out the quarter mile we went from a 40mph roll and we were dead even nobody was gaining, then we went from a stop and he got like a bumper on me but i gained that back and we were dead even again. we stop and park and his mind quickly changes on his respect on the redline he said he loves the sound of the supercharger, i love it to after the intake install

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Nice. I love how this car can make Muscle Class cars whine. These cars will impress but not the best.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Good Kill. I'm sure some people will start to pipe in saying that your kill is B.S. I say screw em, you were there they weren't..........

·
Registered
391 Posts
i can also state that a mustang really isnt that much, my buddys 02 intake exhaust traps only 97-98mph right around the redline, so really its a drivers race.

·
Banned
189 Posts
TXRLU said:
Good Kill. I'm sure some people will start to pipe in saying that your kill is B.S. I say screw em, you were there they weren't..........
Not really gts are slow.well if the gt was a better driver he would have pulled some but only a little from a stop from a roll it makes sense to be even.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
04azuremach said:
'03 GTs with 5 speed tranny's can run high 13's stock...
My fat ass they can. They might run low 15's or high 14's stock. No chance on anywhere near a 13-second. They have 265 hp at the crank and weigh 3500 pounds. No chance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
My fat ass they can. They might run low 15's or high 14's stock. No chance on anywhere near a 13-second. They have 265 hp at the crank and weigh 3500 pounds. No chance.
Do you really want to argue with me? Mach 1's with 310 HP are hitting low 13's and a few have hit high 12's. Someone doesn't know the real advantage to having RWD in the 1/4 mile. You must be thinking of the '96-'98 GT's, my friend. They ran high 14's, low 15's and they only had 225 HP with a lower redline. Unless your track elevation is like 5000 feet, you're waaaaaaay off there, killer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For comparison's sake...
2003 Mustang GT

Weight: 3240 lbs (260 less than 3500, like you said)
HP: 260
weight/power (Lower is better): 12.46

Saturn Ion redline

Weight: 2933 lbs
HP: 205
weight/power: 14.3

If you want the real facts, here it is. Plus the GT has RWD which can take another .3-.7 off of the 1/4 mile time.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
04azuremach said:
For comparison's sake...
2003 Mustang GT

Weight: 3240 lbs (260 less than 3500, like you said)
HP: 260
weight/power (Lower is better): 12.46

Saturn Ion redline

Weight: 2933 lbs
HP: 205
weight/power: 14.3

If you want the real facts, here it is. Plus the GT has RWD which can take another .3-.7 off of the 1/4 mile time.
What's the RWHP of the '03 GT?

Have you seen a dyno of the Red Line?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
That dosen't say much, the number you have up there. Since it's 260hp, minus drive line loss. Unless you have some proof of it putting out otherwise, which we have plenty for the Redline's power. So you have 260 - 10%? 15% 20%? somwhere in there.... which puts rwhp in the area of 230-205....

Plenty of dynos round here for 210 at the wheels in the Ion, more in some cases and less in others. So, perhaps you should figure the actual whp into your equations, rather than taking magazine numbers into account. Something tell me that if you re-do your math with the above numbers, it's gonna be a little closer than you would like it to be...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sp00ner said:
That dosen't say much, the number you have up there. Since it's 260hp, minus drive line loss. Unless you have some proof of it putting out otherwise, which we have plenty for the Redline's power. So you have 260 - 10%? 15% 20%? somwhere in there.... which puts rwhp in the area of 230-205....

Plenty of dynos round here for 210 at the wheels in the Ion, more in some cases and less in others. So, perhaps you should figure the actual whp into your equations, rather than taking magazine numbers into account. Something tell me that if you re-do your math with the above numbers, it's gonna be a little closer than you would like it to be...
There really isn't anything that I'd like it to be. I don't have a GT, so obviously I'm not exactly worried :cool:

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
04azuremach said:
There really isn't anything that I'd like it to be. I don't have a GT, so obviously I'm not exactly worried :cool:
I see one you your Mach1's everyday that I go home, it's parked in the lot that I get coffee at on the way home from work. Neat purple-blue color, is that the same color as yours?

·
Registered
182 Posts
But keep this in mind... power is more important at higher speeds than power-to-weight... say both cars had a a weight/power of 12 and the Mustang had more power, but more weight... the Mustang would win up top, assuming comparable Coefficient's of drag.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I see one you your Mach1's everyday that I go home, it's parked in the lot that I get coffee at on the way home from work. Neat purple-blue color, is that the same color as yours?
Check out the page in my sig. The only blue color offered on a Mach is that color. It's a much lighter blue that you see on the other models.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
04azuremach said:
I've seen a dyno of a redline. It definitely justifies the name of the car. GT's dyno 225-230 RWHP from what I understand.

It looks like those power to weight ratios you stated earlier are nearly backwards then.

·
Registered
289 Posts
04azuremach said:
Do you really want to argue with me? Mach 1's with 310 HP are hitting low 13's and a few have hit high 12's. Someone doesn't know the real advantage to having RWD in the 1/4 mile. You must be thinking of the '96-'98 GT's, my friend. They ran high 14's, low 15's and they only had 225 HP with a lower redline. Unless your track elevation is like 5000 feet, you're waaaaaaay off there, killer.
HEY! Don't make me seperate you! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
And to continue post whore (sorry), I don't care about the HP, RWHP, weight, torque curve numbers (although usually I do). I just know that stock '99-'04 GT's can and have hit 13's (and as low as 13.7's) completely stock on well prepped, low altitude tracks.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts