Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Redline in July. It has been running fine up until the past week. It has 3700 miles on it now. I've always put the highest octane fuel available in it, and I got an oil change at 3000 miles. It has Mobil One oil, so as far as I can tell, I've been doing everything right. But, last week, it just won't start in the mornings. It's been getting colder, but I live in Oklahoma, so it doesn't get incredibly cold here.

I had the car towed to my dealership last week and they told me that they believed the timing was off. They also told me that I would have to bring my car back in January for a software update because there were many people experiencing the same problem as me when the weather is cold. They kept it from Thursday to this past Tuesday. I picked it up at about 6pm, and it started fine. The receipt says they replaced a seal on the cam shaft or something. I don't know anything about cars, so I don't really know what to see on the receipts or anything.

The following morning, I had trouble getting it started, but it finally fired off. It worked fine for that day, and now it won't start again. I also noticed that the front end got scratched up between the time it left my house and returned. So, now I'm faced with having my car towed for the 2nd time in only 8 days. And it's not like it's a short tow... 60 miles. Thank goodness for warranties and roadside assistance.

I'm getting a bit frustrated, even though it's only been a week. They thought they had it fixed, but it only ran for one day. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I had mine not start once but it wouldn't even crank over. I would turn the key and nothing. It finally started for me though and the probalem never showed up again.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Have a tech check your ignition switch... Mine had to be replaced already due to a short in a circuit.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i had it happen too, well not really, wasn't pushing the clutch in all the way.

hope you get it all situated, and make sure to let us know any updates.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey I had the same problem.. I bought mine in late June, and i went away to school in august.. my dad tried to start the car one weekend and it wouldn't start.. so he charged the battery, later he saw the dome light was on and figured it was fine.. so the next weekend he went to start it and it wouldn't start again.. so he called road side assistance and they picked it up and brought it to the dealer ship... it turns out one of the cables on the battery was lose and was shorting out! so they replaced that.. check the battery, since they are in the trunk by the spare tire, we dont see it that much when we go to drool over the supercharger.. haha.. so check your battery maybe...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Isn't there a bulletin out for the crank position sensor or something like that. Might be the case, the best bet is have the dealer take a look at it, that is what they are there for.

Tom

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
my mom had a 04 ION 3 and it did this 2 times i live in colder weather and her battery would die at night and she needed a jump in the morning i dont know why it did that i am blaming the fact that the battery is in the trunk i dont know but all we did was jump it and then it started just fine, did it 2 times only tho

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not the battery

My problem doesn't have anything to do with the battery. Or at least I don't think it does. It's getting power. The radio comes on, the lights work, and it even tries to start. It just never quite makes it.

Once again they told me something about this happening to many different people all over the country. Maybe it's not Redline specific, and I just got unlucky. Originally, they said a software update would be available in January for me, but today they told me the update will be out within the week.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing...in fact they replaced the seal on the cam shaft as well...but it will be going back up there for them to look at so they can try to fix the starting issue

·
Registered
187 Posts
yep, one of my latter threads was about my car dying. It was at the dealership for a whole weekend, they replaced the plugs and and checked the camshaft and then replaced the cam shaft seal... no definate answer to what was wrong

1 - 10 of 10 Posts