Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the RL"s tranny/clutch set up was. Someone told me it may be from a volvo setup. I think my clutch is already slipping from the constant beating it takes. Full throttle from first, letting off in between, to second... if the car is already hot, I feel some major slippage. Time for a stage 2... ;P Anyway if anyone knows who the tranny comes from and any ratio's/metal compositions please post them here. As goes for the clutch.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Liljon said:
I was wondering what the RL"s tranny/clutch set up was. Someone told me it may be from a volvo setup. I think my clutch is already slipping from the constant beating it takes. Full throttle from first, letting off in between, to second... if the car is already hot, I feel some major slippage. Time for a stage 2... ;P Anyway if anyone knows who the tranny comes from and any ratio's/metal compositions please post them here. As goes for the clutch.
How many miles are on the car and are you slipping the clutch through first? You shouldn't be feeling slippage unless there has been some majot pedal use during acceleration.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
We have the same F35 tranny from the Saab 9-3.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
our tranny is in fact not the getrag according to gm. it is a saab tranny but i qutote according to mark reuss the man in charge of gm racing division

"the five spped transmission is based on a saab transmission from gm's global powertrain parts bin and has tall gears in europe to be able to tow with a turbo engine." he later stated that it was not the getrag that is in the 2.2 ion's

·
Registered
162 Posts
zfactor said:
our tranny is in fact not the getrag according to gm. it is a saab tranny but i qutote according to mark reuss the man in charge of gm racing division

"the five spped transmission is based on a saab transmission from gm's global powertrain parts bin and has tall gears in europe to be able to tow with a turbo engine." he later stated that it was not the getrag that is in the 2.2 ion's
Yeah, good thing we have TURBO's and TOW shit. Damn......

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
tell me about it.....

·
Registered
610 Posts
zfactor said:

I doubted this at first since the first and second ratios and final drive do not match those in the 9-3 ecotec based powertrain which tops out at 210hp/221 ft.lb.. Then I checked the 9-5 and it appears to be a match. Interesting since the 9-5 has the old Saab heritage 2.3L iron block engine putting out up to 250hp/258 ft.lb.

Still, given the F35 designator, I suspect its a Getrag design being produced by Saab. http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/other/index.htm

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
when i spoke to them they told me it was not a getrag tranny but a tranny like a getrag take that however you will.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
well this came from the gm engineer i spoke to on the phone, so i dont know who is right here and please in no offense to anyone but i feel the gm engineers must know thier product

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
It is NOT a Getrag, it's a Saab design and built under the ill-fated guise of FGP (Fiat-Gm Powertrain)- GM's on-the-outs ,European based powertrain consortium with Fiat.
BUT AFAIK it's still built in a plant at/near Trollhattan Sweden ,where as the new FGP F40 6-speed (used in the Saab 9-3 Aero and Pontiac G6) is built in another FGM facility in Germany IIRC.

Saab actually calls the LSJ transaxle the FM55 and the speed gear ratios are IDENTICAL to those used in the 9-3 sold into North America, HOWEVER the Saab 9-3 has a slightly taller final drive ratio of 3.82:1 as opposed to the 4.05:1 This changes it's model designation to the FM57. I've been eye-ballin the larger F40/FM67 6-speed as a possible upgrade for the Redline for some time. It's rated for considerably more input torque, geared lower (with the exception of 1st) and has slightly closer spacing. Here's a speed chart comparing the F35/FM57 to the F40/FM67.
WopOnTour

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I would love to get a 6-speed tranny in this car. When I am on my highway type city road to go to school at ~115kmh in 5th, she is almost at 3 grand in the rev department and that seems pretty high to me (first manual with a tach so I really don't know, just seems like a lot of revs for highway speeds when normal city driving its around 2ish)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
XeroState said:
I would love to get a 6-speed tranny in this car. When I am on my highway type city road to go to school at ~115kmh in 5th, she is almost at 3 grand in the rev department and that seems pretty high to me (first manual with a tach so I really don't know, just seems like a lot of revs for highway speeds when normal city driving its around 2ish)
I think a little bit of that has to do with the final drive ratio of the car.

As far as the F40/FM67 that WOT was talking about, I'd imagine a) it'd be a pretty easy swap, and would do well for our highway mileage.

Of course, I don't know what is required in swapping in a tranny not specifically engineered for use in a car; would you have to change any axles, shafts, etc.? A 6-speed gearbox would fundamentally be at least a little larger than a 5-speed, so you'd have to move stuff around a little bit. Would the linkage work the same? It seems like it'd be too big of a hassle to me.

WOT?

·
Registered
384 Posts
CarNut said:
I doubted this at first since the first and second ratios and final drive do not match those in the 9-3 ecotec based powertrain which tops out at 210hp/221 ft.lb.. Then I checked the 9-5 and it appears to be a match. Interesting since the 9-5 has the old Saab heritage 2.3L iron block engine putting out up to 250hp/258 ft.lb.

Still, given the F35 designator, I suspect its a Getrag design being produced by Saab. http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/other/index.htm
in the 2005 service manual there are two transmissions listed the

'getrag 5 speed' and the 'manual transaxle - MU3'

1 - 19 of 19 Posts