Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to get an idea of at what RPM people like to shift gears in their Ion redline?

I generally shift around 3,000 when normally driving.

In a street race setting I haven't been pushing it overly hard. I usually shift from 3,500 to 5,000RPM...

Any input would be appreciated! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This post probably should have been in the Racing Discussion secion, I figure though more people will read it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
Yahh umm...

your not going to win any races if you shift at a max of 5,000 rpms during one. Normally i shift at ~4000 maybe higher but dont do that unless your engine is broken in. if your racing, get it up as high as you can, the higher the revs, the higher the horsepower in this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,868 Posts
Bullshit don't race if your engine isn't broken in - if your engine isn't broken in, you've still got TIME to break it in right! Who's got the article around here that proves that a harder break in results in more power?

Anyway, yeah, when I'm racing, I definitely try to get as close to the rev limiter as I can; usually when I just barely touch it in 2nd then slam into 3rd nothing can keep up, that upshift is ridiculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
I've hit the rev limiter so many times I lost count. But when it all comes out good 2 through 5 I will shift right around 6600 or 6700 rpms. That's right your herd it here 6600 or 6700! At that point it becomes a power shift and the momentum just caries you through. It's quiet thrilling and I try to do it at least once a day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
SPLREDLINE said:
I've hit the rev limiter so many times I lost count. But when it all comes out good 2 through 5 I will shift right around 6600 or 6700 rpms. That's right your herd it here 6600 or 6700! At that point it becomes a power shift and the momentum just caries you through. It's quiet thrilling and I try to do it at least once a day.
What makes you so special to get that much higher of a redline? :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
The best way to find your shift points is to look at a dyno graph and your gear ratios...

When (Current Gear Ratio * Torque at Current RPM) < (Next Gear Ratio * Torque at RPM You'll be at in the next gear), you shift.

Generally the optimum shift point will be different for each gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
i agree with splredline... when i race i shift at round 6500 every gear, yes i have hit the rev limiter but, i mean if ur guna race u mine as well use all the power your car was designed to give out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
05BlueRedline said:
i agree with splredline... when i race i shift at round 6500 every gear, yes i have hit the rev limiter but, i mean if ur guna race u mine as well use all the power your car was designed to give out
Does the redline actually keep power above 6 K? Any links to dyno charts?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
The redline actually builds power right up to the redline...

The shifting is actually the same for every gear, since the ratios are the same...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
i shift just before the redline when racing..i have a shiftlight go off at 6200 so its good for first gear...i just wait longer when shifting into higher gears...normal driving i shift around 2500 or less...
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
I don't know off hand, gearing is not my thing.... it's about every 30mph.

33 - 1st
65 - 2nd
97 -3rd

Final is 4.05? maybe 4.10, pretty sure it's 4.05...

The ratios are posted around here somewhere
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
1 3.380:1
2 1.760:1
3 1.180:1
4 0.890:1
5 0.700:1
Final drive: 4.050:1

From that I disagree on the ratio's being the same when shifting...
Here's what I get when you shift at 6500 RPM's the RPM you'll be at in the next gear:

shifting into 2nd @ 6500 RPM: 3384 RPM's
shifting into 3rd @ 6500 RPM: 4391 RPM's
shifting into 4th @ 6500 RPM: 4902 RPM's

Without a dyno chart I can't say for sure, but I'd shift into 2nd at a higher RPM than when I shift into 3rd or 4th.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
Yah

Sp00ner said:
The redline actually builds power right up to the redline...
Yah the dynos just keep going up and up thats why i think psi-fi should raise the rev limiter on their ECU. In most cars the horsepower falls just before the limiter. I think we should be able to bump up the rev limiter to 7000 rpms safely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Redline686 said:
Yah the dynos just keep going up and up thats why i think psi-fi should raise the rev limiter on their ECU. In most cars the horsepower falls just before the limiter. I think we should be able to bump up the rev limiter to 7000 rpms safely
While HP is important... how does the torque curve look at high RPM's? Does anyone have a link to a dyno chart?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Redline686 said:
Yah the dynos just keep going up and up thats why i think psi-fi should raise the rev limiter on their ECU. In most cars the horsepower falls just before the limiter. I think we should be able to bump up the rev limiter to 7000 rpms safely
psi-fi is using their own piggyback ecu. It can not raise the rev limiter.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top