Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

removed the airbox today...

4K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  xtremesc2 
#1 ·
Today i removed the air box and replaced the Filter with a Cheap APC high flow filter i snagged at pepboys cuz i didnt feel like pay that much money for a K&N. but anyways, the car absolutly wails now, the blower is soo freakin loud i cant even explain it. Everyone needs to lose those paper filters.

#4 ·
How hard is it to do this?? Is there any performance gain?? I wouldnt mind doing that until we can get a real intake. :D

#5 ·
yes, exactly how "easy" was it for you to remove the airbox? i want to know what you had to move to get it out of there

#6 ·
im doin it today.....ill let u guys know too, how well it works out.

im going to try and leave some of the airbox there, though.....and see if just removing the top or something like that works out.

im going to try and keep it shielded from the transmission......somehow.

maybe itll work out, maybe not, i havent really looked at the whohle thing yet.

oh, and im epoxying that damn filter to the tube so it doesnt come off while driving, haha. not too much that way i can get it off if i need to.

#7 ·
FYI it helps to loosen the abs controller (if that's what it is, has 4 lines coming off the top) also, it helps to unmount the computer (make sure to disconnect your battery as you'll be disconnecting live power and a ground wire)

otherwise, getting the bottom part of the airbox out is no fun. you can take the snorkel hose out from underneath, it goes way up into the fender, also, you'll be wanting to take off the wheel well lining to make things easier (be carefull if you're where it's cold, you don't want to snap off plastic)

#8 ·
also, get ready to disconnect the radiator hose that goes over the airbox, you might want to grab some coolant, and be ready to burp it too

#10 ·
did you get it out without removing the radiator hose?

if so, how the f*ck did you?

#12 ·
I removed mine over the chrtistmas break. It probably took 3-5 hours. That may be because i am kinda a newbie to working on cars. It was not that hard at all. I did it without removing the radiator hose. All i did was jack it up and diconnect the ground cable and the one mud guard directly beneath the air box. There are i believe three bolts and three screws holding on the aribox. I used the same apc high flow filter. I also got an apc oil breather filter and plugged the hole on the stock intake piece. I just jerry rigged the filter on right after the maf sensor. I removed everything after the top of the airbox. It just hangs there and seems to be pretty sturdy. I think it will hold up until the k&n comes out. Also to get the airbox out without removing the radiator hose i had to cut up the airbox pretty good. Its been raining hard lately and i didnt have any problems with water. I was just really cautious. But man do i looooove the sound of the s/c now. Cant wait to get my exhaust done.

#14 ·
no more hp wont gain you top speed of a gear. Thats just odd you gained speed from a gear. In fact inpossible unless you change the tire size or rev limiter on the car.

#16 ·
well, we got everything out except for the bottom of the airbox without removing anything, it's the fish tank of an airbox put in there before anything on top of it that is a bitch to get out. did you actually remove that part of the airbox? without cutting it up?

#18 · (Edited)
goofyguy said:
no more hp wont gain you top speed of a gear. Thats just odd you gained speed from a gear. In fact inpossible unless you change the tire size or rev limiter on the car.
you are correct. However. More horsepower will allow a gear to go faster, IF you have a rev limiter and the gear is not maxed out. 64mph is not the max speed of the gear, it's the max speed you can go in that gear because it's limited by ecu.

by adding more horsepower you can turn the gear the same amount with less engine power(therefore less RPM's) you would be able to have a higher MPH @ the same RPM... until you reach the maxium speed of the gear. which would be the gear's ratio, combined with ugh.. the gear of your axle.

#19 ·
err wrong my simple friend.

With manual transmission rpm=speed. 6000 rpms with 200hp will be the same speed as 6000 rpms with 600hp. No matter what you do the gears dont change unless you physicaly change them.

More power will allow you to reach higher RPM's thats also wrong a 1hp motor can spin up to 18000 rpms its the electronics that limit the engine. The only way to get more speed out of a gear is by changing the rev limiter of the motor.

Now for some small bit of truth in what your saying. More power will make you get through the gear faster, but its not going make you go any faster in that gear.

Its simple math cmon people. Wheres scooter.

#20 ·
well technically i didnt remove the airbox, i cut the bottom of it out, i drilled a hole in it and carefully cut out the bottom, saving the piece so it can be reattached later for whenever i need to take it to the dealer. but i suggest while everyone is waiting for the K&N intake, go get a cheap APC filter from pepboys, it fits snug right inside the airbox lid\MAF. the sound is ungodly, people are breaking there necks trying to see what the hell is making all the noise.

#21 ·
goofyguy said:
err wrong my simple friend.

With manual transmission rpm=speed. 6000 rpms with 200hp will be the same speed as 6000 rpms with 600hp. No matter what you do the gears dont change unless you physicaly change them.

More power will allow you to reach higher RPM's thats also wrong a 1hp motor can spin up to 18000 rpms its the electronics that limit the engine. The only way to get more speed out of a gear is by changing the rev limiter of the motor.

Now for some small bit of truth in what your saying. More power will make you get through the gear faster, but its not going make you go any faster in that gear.

Its simple math cmon people. Wheres scooter.
Right. Of course rpm=speed. RPM= revolutions per minute. By definition, RPMs are a measure of speed, or, revolutions per minute. Good clarification.

#23 ·
What a royal pain in the ass! Two hours into it and I got the saws-all out and it was all over. If your not committed, don't do it. I'm not sure I'd do it again if I had to. But now I love the sound!

#24 ·
I would say just louder but at first its seems so loud.Your going to want to step on it all the time for at least a few days just to hear that whine. Perhaps my car is going a lil faster in 2nd cuz i just hit my 3000 mile marker cuz i swear it used to get fuel cut out at 60.

#25 ·
spongalot said:
I would say just louder but at first its seems so loud.Your going to want to step on it all the time for at least a few days just to hear that whine. Perhaps my car is going a lil faster in 2nd cuz i just hit my 3000 mile marker cuz i swear it used to get fuel cut out at 60.
I don't think removing the airbox is going to change your fuel cut off point. THat would be controlled by the computer. Even assuming that putting in a new filter gave you a couple more horses, that won't change when your engine cut off is. By the way, you should be able to get just past 60 in second. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.