Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Replaced Throttle Body but...

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Chiraisu 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting off; Sorry if this has been asked before or rather been discussed prior to my post. I lurk around here quite a bit for simple fixes and general information, but I don't actually know if I've seen a thread on what I'm currently dealing with and it's been driving me nuts for a while now.

For starters my codes ring up with these (usually between 8-10 total)

Large EVAP leak (twice)
Small EVAP leak (twice)
TPS Insufficient Activity (forget this code)
P2229 Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Circuit High Voltage ECM
There's another one about an EVAP valve solenoid.
P1182
P0068 Throttle Body Airflow Performance ECM
P1101
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I figured that the TPS code trip is simply a dirty throttle body. Makes sense with as old as the car is. I thought about simply cleaning it, but I actually work at a place where I got an OEM replacement for cheap enough so I just got a new one. I got a new air filter "and" MAF Sensor and took it all apart. A couple hours later I got the new MAF sensor, TB, and Air filter back in. (For the record I found an air filter replacement discussion after the fact and I remembered that I didn't check to make sure the air filter housing cap was securely snug onto the filter, but alas)

I let the car idle for about 15 minutes and things seemed fine, although my idle still felt uneven and my barometric pressure code came back on. Which.. is fine, I didn't think that had anything to do with that particular set up and might actually be coming from one of my EVAP leaks too. (like maybe around the canister purge valve, where I hear sucking, but can't pin point it).

Decided to try and take it for a run and it went into limp mode right as I gave it any power. First thought that comes to mind is maybe I sucked in some unwanted crap but I don't know for sure until I go back outside and take it all apart again. I'm going to go do that, but I just wanted to throw this down to see if anyone might have something to say (I'm going to take it all apart and just go through the steps of cleaning all the things.)

Also if anyone can give me some feedback on the TPS activity code, that'd be super, cause it's driving me up the wall.

See less See more
#2 ·
P0068 Throttle Body Airflow Performance ECM[/QUOTE]

Had this one at one time but was the first to get rid of when got my IRL

I think the TB cleaner did it for mine but also had a new CAT around same time so not sure

#3 ·
This one is coupled with Some other throttle body codes. Happened right as it went into limp mode. I also have "Low air intake performance", and Supercharger inlet performance.

What confuses me most is that it's a new throttle body. Then again I don't know if I need a Reset tool for this or not. It doesn't "seem" like it. But I also am not 100% sure either. I just took it all apart again, cleaned things, replaced the gasket, and it puttered once it got warm again. I am just going to have to take off this new TB and clean up my old one and put it back on.

However, this still doesn't explain to me why it would do that with something brand new.

#4 ·
I had the SC inlet performance code as well I guess from what I have heard and learned from almost three years with my IRL
it does sound like there could be a few things for these codes .

I had a big code which I did not like the dreaded CAT 0420 -

shocked having it with low mileage -

could it be bad gasoline

perhaps some bad spark

inexperienced driver - reving too high from previous owners - pressed it to much

environment considerations - salt, moisture, dust

lots of interplay I guess

#5 · (Edited)
The three big Codes that all mix together to put the vehicle in limp mode are P0068, P 1101, and P1182.

They even did this with the old throttle body too, meaning it might not even have anything to do with that part, specifically.

Edit: I'm almost beginning to think that it's a wiring issue. None of my wires really look that bad, but sometimes looks are deceiving. Some months ago I replaced both of the pressure sensors (the one at the end of the fuel rail) and the one on top of the super charger too. Actually it's doing the same thing I remember it doing when I replaced a fuel filter one time and forgot to plug in that particular sensor (on top of the super charger).

#9 · (Edited)
That's what I've done twice before this. Same issue. I am going to take some electrical contact cleaner to the wires I previously unplugged from the ECM.

Edit: Tried that as well and didn't seem to work, the plugs all look clean. Not sure what to do. The problem is in fact coming from the throttle body though I think? I wonder if the wire going to it is damaged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.