Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

With the growing number of trolls coming over from the SRT forum I decided to take some major action. I have put in a letter to the editors at Sport Compact Car Magazine and Super Street Magazine to see if they will settle this dispute for us. I proposed a show down between the Ion Redline, Dodge Noen SRT-4, Ford Focus, and the Chevy Colbolt SS. And whatever else that can come up with. I think it is time that the sport compact and tuner communities start to take the domestic vehicles seriously.

If anyone else has any ideas as to who else to contact if SCC does not accept this, let me know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
SatredL said:
I'd like to see a side by side by side comparison as well,but judging by their last article on the Red Line, they don't know how to drive.
Road & Track did a Side by Side in the Road Test Annual 2005.

It came down to this:
They liked the SRT more. Point totals:
SRT - 580.0
Redline - 579.1

SRT was:
Faster (duh)
More exciting to drive (Subjective)
Better engine and gearbox
Better styling (Subjective, I'm sure this could start a thread on it's own)
Better Seats and Ergonomics

Redline was:
Faster Slalom and braking
Better Steering, Brakes, Ride and Handling
Lots more luggage space
Better Price (Barely, 200 vs. 199.2)

They tied:
Skidpad
Fuel Economy

Overall, it was pretty even. Basically said the RL could beat anything for the money EXCEPT the SRT. Nothing you didn't already know.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
You don't want Sport Compact Car to settle anything. Period. Those people are a bunch of idiots. The last time they tested the Redline they had a 7.1 0-60 time, and said the only thing nice about it was the seats...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sp00ner said:
You don't want Sport Compact Car to settle anything. Period. Those people are a bunch of idiots. The last time they tested the Redline they had a 7.1 0-60 time, and said the only thing nice about it was the seats...
yeah their review of the RL was less than accurate...a lot less

·
Registered
196 Posts
with the Road and Track article they went into the comparison saying they thought the SRT4 would trounce the Saturn, but they were surprised that it didnt..........that just shows that people think its still just a Saturn.....everyone is on the SRT4s side because it has been out for a few years and has already proved itself.......all of these magazines are gonna say the same thing until we get a few more Red Lines on the road

·
Registered
541 Posts
Or untill they get capable, intelligent drivers.....No offence to anyone at the mags, but c'mon, better styling? Get your eyes checked!!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
Or untill they get capable, intelligent drivers.....No offence to anyone at the mags, but c'mon, better styling? Get your eyes checked!!
Styling is totally subjective, there are people that think a ModelT is the most beautiful thing ever built, some people that think Corvettes look like doorstops, etc. The drivers at SCC leave something to be desired though, I checked a few more of their road tests, and they have every car I looked at rated worse in performance than almost any other mag does. Maybe they test them at a crappy location or something. Who knows...

·
Registered
127 Posts
IeatRice said:
or maybe, as rip vw32 put it, they need "capable, intelligent drivers"
ya they never drive a car to it's real potential ........ I never trust magazine #'s they are only good for magazine raceing. It all depends on what mag you have to who wins the race :D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn I had no idea you guys had such strong feeling about SCC. I did write other people you know. I mentioned it my first post.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
How was their review of your SRTs? Did they get that right or did you guys laugh all the way to the trash can with it?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While i agree that the article in SCC is very biased, the point is the competition of ALL domestics. Lined up side by side to see how they compare. Hopefully it will shut the trolls up for a while.

SCC was not the only one I contacted. I also contacted Super Street and a few others. Perhaps I should have named the thread differently.

dp

·
Registered
135 Posts
they should test the competion package RL with the LSD. I bet it would do better than the 04 did on all of the test.

The track is were it would shine. :D

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
I did read the R&T review & it was very favorable. Those SCC guys seem to only like imports, screw'em, they're just a bunch of punks. And yes they(anyone but SCC) should test an '05 w/LSD along with the SRT & the Tiburon( i know it's a Hyundai & a 6cyl) all on a stock for stock basis. Or let an average joe drive them in a controlled environment & do the review. just my .02

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Super Street, that's a hoot. Those guys are sooooo pro import it is sickening. Their only mission in life is to get some kind of JDM ricer to cruise around in so they can pick up hords of 88 lb asian chicks dressed in plaid school gurl outfiits.

Hey, I'm all for the school gurl outfit, but on a 120# 38C racked blonde or brunette. :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
All i know is that car and driver have some seriously good drivers. They managed a [email protected] with a stock WRX and they also managed a 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. Now i own a 2005 wrx and i don't think i could run a 14.1 no matter how hard i tried, but they did it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
Super Street, that's a hoot. Those guys are sooooo pro import it is sickening. Their only mission in life is to get some kind of JDM ricer to cruise around in so they can pick up hords of 88 lb asian chicks dressed in plaid school gurl outfiits.

Hey, I'm all for the school gurl outfit, but on a 120# 38C racked blonde or brunette. :D
They chose them to gain a 32 lb advantage in a street race.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts