Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, got my exhaust done this morning and it's LOUD. My question is, how many of you that have cat-backs changed to a different resonator. How long? What size? Did it make a huge difference? I have the stock one on there now, but it sounds like I don't have anything!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Did you get all new piping or just replace the muffler? Just wondering since you used the stock resonator. Your best bet, get the same diameter and largest resonator you can get to fit. It'll take out the rasp and tone down the loudness, but it'll keep a nice deep tone...

Tom

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, that's just what I might do. It does have a raspy sound to it...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I had 3 inch and it was way to loud. Had a 3inch in/out by 24 long resonator installed and its gone now. No raspy sound not loud and does not vibrate the whole damn car anymore. I lost all the raspyness by the way and Im running duals.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey goofyguy, what resonator did you buy? And dont our cars already have one? Or it just isn't doing a good enough job...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I had much larger tubing put in so no it was not going to be a small point. It was a generic 3 inch in and out 24 resonator cost me 20 bucks welded in place. The stock one was to small for me. Had the duals so I went with great big tubes for sound and it sound mean as hell now with the resonator.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is the size of the stock one? I'm curious if you know... So you think if I get a 24" long 2.5" in/out it will help?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
it will take all the raspy noise Out I promise if not I will pay for it. It will also get a deeper tone. The stocker is 2.25 in out inside dimensions 30 long. Get the 24 long by 2.5 in/out you will be very very happy.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what is the model # of your mufflers?

·
Registered
762 Posts
LoL Ok I said I was doing a single but everytime I look at goofys car and hear him talk about it I HAVE to get it done haha just need to find out how much it'll cost and who can do it. I'm gonna have to talk to Justin see what his guy will do for me

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's what they did to fix the buzzzzzzz

1st Attempt: Swapped out stock resonator for a 24" long x 2.5" in/out resonator. Didn't fix it... actually buzzed worse than before

2nd Attempt: Installed a small resonator after the long one right after the pipe curves 90 degrees. Fixed the sound!!! IT IS AWESOME NOW!!! The butt dyno can tell it didn't hurt performance either... but i'll know for sure when I run at the track again tonite @ Atco, NJ. (hopeing for a 14.0).

Goofy guy... where's my money!!! You said you'd pay for it if the 24" long resonator didn't fix it :D You owe me $188 sir.

hahaha

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
it fixed mine. What mufflers are you running and what brand was the resonator. And was it installed correctly. You can in fact install it backwards which will make it worse.

·
Registered
762 Posts
goofyguy said:
it fixed mine. What mufflers are you running and what brand was the resonator. And was it installed correctly. You can in fact install it backwards which will make it worse.
HAHAHAHA that'd be funny as hell but I really doubt they did

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
blu4door said:
If you guys plan on upping your boost pressures in the future, you would probably be better of going to a 3" exhaust, instead of a 2.5". Just my .02.
Can't hurt, that's for sure...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts