Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the magical 500 mile mark yesterday. So as I was getting on the on-ramp to the freeway, I got in to it. When I took it up in first gear, right before I shifted, I felt it hit the rev limter. I looked at the tach and I wasnt even at Redline yet, around 6000. So when I got into my neighbor hood, I left the car in first gear and took it up, as soon as I got to about 6200, it cut out. Do any of yours do this? It says the redline is 6500. Why would they put the fuel shut off at 6000-6250? That pissed me off! Is there a controller to raise the limiter yet? And my car is an '05, if that matters. Thanks for your help!
~Adam

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
no but you see the rev limiter is SLOW. its most likely 500rpms slower than what you see when your on it.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just think that with a supercharged 4 banger, a high redline would help. I used to have a 2000 celica gts, and the redline was 7800, but the fuel shut off was 8300. At least that extra 500rpm created some leighway to shift at max hp. I was reading that with the Redline, max hp is at 6500, so how are you supposed to shift at max horsepower when the ECU wont even let you get there? Im not one of those ricer kids that wants the super high redline, I would just like a 200-500rpm gap before fuel shut off so I can have some lieniency. Oh well!
~Adam

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think 6k is pretty good for a 4 banger. Besides, where can you drive it that fast? Oh, thats right, 6k is about 35mph. It's not a Harley or a Z, so don't get your expectations too high. Save your money. :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
Our Redline tach is notorius for some lag... you reach the limiter so quickly in 1st gear, the tach hasn't caught up with the true engine speed. This has been mentioned in many posts here. Most folks plan their 1st-to-2nd upshift at around 6200 reading on the tach (even lower if you're a slower shifter). Once you are in the higher gears, you'll see the cutoff occurs rights around 6450-6500 (too low IMO... I'd like it around 7K).

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
z28wannab said:
I think 6k is pretty good for a 4 banger.
RSX-S is 8k

ITR is 8.4k

s2k1stgen is 9k

not bad for 4 bangers.

Oh yeah let me add, the RSX-S and the Redline have the same bore x stroke.
86mm x 86mm. I'm sure the Redline could handle higher, as there is more stress by spinning an engine faster, than by forced induction with the same power. Plus if you look at a dyno sheet the Redline is still gaining power when it slams into the... redline. That's weird.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Actually, the Rev limit is 6450 RPM and mine still shows less on the Tach needle when it hits it. The dyno guy asked about it. He said that while his dyno equipment showed the proper RPM, my tach was lower. I told him that I was aware of it and not to worry. I've also read conjecture on the forums that the ECU has a lower Rev Limit built into the software until a certain break-in period is attained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually guys I love the car too. The original posting was my sons. Just giving him some crap. He was concerned about the rev limiter but I'm glad to see it's nothing new, and the tach lag sounds right on the button. Enjoy your cars!!! :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Blubatmobile said:
I finally got the magical 500 mile mark yesterday.
~Adam

500 miles? Haha lightweight! :p I noticed the rev limiter lightened up some after a couple of thousand miles on mine. Its still there but not as drastic as it was initially. Congrats on your car and take care of it. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.