Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone notice that when you revv the engine it takes forever to get back to idle??

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
It is part of the emissions control. It slowly comes down unlike other cars so it doesn't dump excess fuel into the exhaust.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh... thought it was the supercharger but thanks....

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
yeah, it's nothing to be concerned about

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my old LT1 did it but not this bad, guess ill just have to get used to it...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I searched for a thread like this so I wouldn't have to make a new one. Tonight I noticed the same thing, except none of you mentioned that the revs climbed a little bit before returning to idle. When I parked my car for the night I noticed how it took a little bit and a non-constant rev drop when I came to a stop. So I gave it a little rev again to about 3.5k and let it drop. It slowly dropped, but at a non-constant rate like you guys are describing. When my needle dropped a little below 2k, it actually stayed in one place for a second and revved up a little bit on its own about 150-200rpms. After that it dropped back down to idle like normal. I gave it another little rev and it returned to idle semi normal without re-revving on its own. But I revved it again and it revved itself a little again just below 2k. I found this a little strange, so I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this?
As a side note, I was kind of gassing it around the campus streets before parking it (having a little fun before I had to leave it for the night, you know how that goes). So I'm sure that had something to do with this, where there might have been some heat build up in the engine.
Any thoughts?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What I find strange, is the regular Ions don't do that at all. When I had the Ion sedan loaner I noticed it right away, it about 200% smoother of an engine too.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Maybe it's just a precaution, perhaps it needs to 'come down' slowly so it dosen't lean out or something? I was thinking it was the supercharger as well, but I have no 'real' idea.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I read somewhere that it helps with drivability, when you shift from second to third next time, take a little longer to releace the clutch, you will notice that the rpm's will drop, then level out then drop. Suposedly(sp) it makes for smoother shifts.
Now think about stop and go driving, could the same thing apply??

About the flywheel. If we got an even lighter flywheel, not only would it rev up faster, but wouldnt it rev down (whatever it is called) faster as well, without all that cyntrifical force / weight spinning. That is of course if the engiine is not crontrolling it in some assenine aspect. But my l/w flywheel sure sucked in stop and go, had to feather the clutch alot more to keep it form stalling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts