Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, oour Red Line is supposed to be built off the SAAB 9/3 platform and I keep passing a new 9/3 in the parking lot and it has the factory ride height that out RLs should have. Anyone know if the SAAB springs would work? After all, we have it's transaxel in out chassis, why woulddn't other chassis parts work too? Just some thoughts to give an alternative to springs that are not intended for our car. (the ones that are listed for a regular Q3 Coupe)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
OK, oour Red Line is supposed to be built off the SAAB 9/3 platform and I keep passing a new 9/3 in the parking lot and it has the factory ride height that out RLs should have. Anyone know if the SAAB springs would work? After all, we have it's transaxel in out chassis, why woulddn't other chassis parts work too? Just some thoughts to give an alternative to springs that are not intended for our car. (the ones that are listed for a regular Q3 Coupe)
I Believe the RL is built on the Delta plataform shared with the cobalt the saab 9-3 on the other hand is built in the epsilon shared with a bunch of cars malibu, ponitac G6,etc but not the RL. What the RL shares is the engine block minus turbo (instead supercharged) and also the transmission that also serves duty in the saab Diesel and opel Diesel cars in Europe. I've heard that's the reason for the short gearing in first because the diesel engines produce more torque and power down low I am not too sure about that or can confirm it but that's what I've heard. Sorry man about the springs don't know about that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
There is a lot of things that can play into that equasion. Body design, specificly the wheel wells and there relation to the rest of the chassis. Suspention design plays a key here as well, they may very well be the same springs but with body design and engineering differences between the two it could very well "take up the gap" and make the Saab look a bit lower.

Just a guess on my part though.....Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MotorMouth said:
There is a lot of things that can play into that equasion. Body design, specificly the wheel wells and there relation to the rest of the chassis. Suspention design plays a key here as well, they may very well be the same springs but with body design and engineering differences between the two it could very well "take up the gap" and make the Saab look a bit lower.

Just a guess on my part though.....Take it with a grain of salt.
Very true and I have thought about that when looking at some BMWs rolling down the highway. For us to get as low as them, we'd be scraping the pavement, so it must have a lot to do with the wheel well arches being lower on the beltline of the german imports as opposed to the american 4x4 look.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
those mew 9-3s with the 2.0t motor sure are nice looking. Although we share a drivetrain we do have a differnt body and suspension. Where the redline is sprot tuned for low speed higm manuverablility like a quick 50mph turn or lane change in american traffic. The overseas cars are built on a 90mph all day long straight line setup. They do sit I belive half inch taller as well the wheel base is slightly longer as well.

American 4x4 thats great like the rear of the srt-4?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goofyguy said:
American 4x4 thats great like the rear of the srt-4?
Yep. Our 2000 Neon Highline with the Razzzi Kit must have 2" of Gap on the back (and the 17" Motegi's are the same Dia w/tires as the stock rollers.)

Our 2002 sunfire GT has the stock Goodyear 205 16 50s (or are they 55s?) and the same thing, lots-o-gap between the tire and wheel well opening.

Look around in traffic and you will see Mega-gap is an American styling phenomenon with the exception of the new GTO, their wheel/tires are tucked up pretty tight.(for an American car)

Attached is pic of Neon and the DCX version of the 4x4 gap and a pic of the Sunfire Gt with the Motegis on it. YIKES!! They are 1/2" shorter than stock, but that still would leave a lot-o-gap from tire to fender. That car needs 18 or 19s to help bridge the gap.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts