Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im Getting Really Impatient, I Want Nice Lightweight Forged Gunmetal W/ Polished Lip Rims Now! Oh God, Some Company Please Make Something. My God!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Have yours powder coated - you'll have lightweight forged gunmetal wheels.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yep, weighed one when I had them apart putting on my new Falken Azenis Sports. It weighed 16.5 lbs. For the sake of comparison, the BBS RK in 17x9 weighs 21.4 lbs, the AT Italia 10 is 22 lbs, and the TR Motorsports R5 is 22.5.

The only lighter wheels I know of is the SSR Competition at 13.5 lbs ($389 per wheel) or the Kosei K1 at 14.9 lbs ($299, not available for the Redline).

·
Registered
762 Posts
Actually you can't powdercoat and leave a lip cause I inquired about getting it done on mine at the place that did SilverBullets and he said that there would be a lip or something like that. I honestly don't think that he knew what I was talking about I wanna ask him again.

·
Registered
681 Posts
No, you can't powder coat just a portion, even if you mask it off or whatever - the part being powder coated is electrically charged, and the powder sticks to everything that's charged.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
No, you can't powder coat just a portion, even if you mask it off or whatever - the part being powder coated is electrically charged, and the powder sticks to everything that's charged.
Well the guy said it can be done but there would be like a sharp lip or something like that. I might have him just to two colors then so there won't be that lip. Black and a Polished looking color. and I'll leave the center caps Chrome. Only thing is it cost Silver 463 for all four rims :eek: I think I'd rather get some engine stuff done first

·
Registered
681 Posts
Two colors? You can't just electrify part of a piece of metal. If you electrically charge a wheel and powder coat it grey, then try to do something else, with another color, your grey wheel will now be the new color. The only way to do what you're talking about is by painting the wheels.

My guy can powder coat for around $200. I was going to get mine done, but I'm trading my car next week.

·
Registered
762 Posts
He'll do all 4 for $200 bucks? Is it one step or 2 step process? What colors does he have I'm looking for a glossy black to do mine in. I don't know ANYTHING about powdercoatin it was an idea but I was wrong silly me LoL atleast I wasn't one of those people that go "I'm right your wrong" haha anyway where is your guy located maybe I'll check him out. Also WHY YOU TRADING IN YOUR CAR!!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm getting one of two cars next week - one of my best friends is a Lt Col in the AF, I've known him 18 years (worked with him when he was a newbie) and he's way into cars, but knows little about the actual workings....he has a 1994 Mustang GT that has quite a few mods (that I've done for him) and he has 120k on it - his wife (local lawyer here in Philly) is ranking on him about little things going wrong with it, and wants him to get rid of it. He commutes 80 miles a day.

When he was up from Dallas 3 weeks ago, he drove my car and heard the supercharger whine - he was hooked on that, the Recaro seats, everything..he really freaked when I told him I got 27-28 mpg at 70 mph...he wants to buy my Redline from me, and for me to buy his Mustang - I'm all over it. We're most likely meeting in Nashville next weekend (halfway between here and Dallas) to swap cars. He's paying me $18,000.....he came up with the number, not me...

This may get kinked since I have a good friend in Pittsburgh (lots of connections with what I do), who will sell me a 2004 GTO 6-speed for $24,300 ($33,695 MSRP). His dealer group's Saturn store is where I got my Redline, and the Saturn manager offered me $17,500 on trade on my Redline...well, duh....

One way or another, I'm getting a V-8/manual trans car next week. Tried the hopped up 4-banger thing with a turbo PT Cruiser GT, and now this car - I just can't do it.

I don't know about the stages of powder coating, I've only seen it done once - the powder coating dude can be contacted through Vince at RT Tuning in Lansdale - 215-512-3711 - tell Vince Jim sent you. Vince is finishing up the engine swap on my son's Nissan 240SX.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks Jim! I'll probably have to do that. Something I'm still just looking into. I'm having the car lowered this week soon as I get the springs and setup a install day with RevItUp Motorsports :). They'll be the ones doin all the work to my car. Good luck with getting the V8 sounds like 2 really good deals you got to choose from. I'm still trying to get rid of my old satty its finally almost paid off and I can get it out of my driveway to make room for the redline. Plus my laptops almost paid off so thats gonna free up good amount of money and I'll celebrate with a present for my car and then start saving for other things and just trying to pay off the car :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
I share my shop with a powder coater and trust me, you CAN do it polished lip and what ever color you want in the middle, you just mask the lip off and then coat the color then unmask it and put clear powder on the whole thing and it comes out sharp.

He also charges about $200 for 4 wheels, but maybe alittle more for custom work like two colors.

This is some of his work, sorry I don't have any pictures of wheels right now ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
D3XXFR said:
To bad your a long ways away from me :)
Well for anything that won't cost much to ship we can hook ya up, infact his prices are pretty good, even with shipping it may be worth it ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
I live about 3K miles away haha I'm on the east coast shipping all 4 rims will be alot don't you think? Actually is there a way you guys could check? Another thing is it would take forever and a day to get them back.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sinister redlines said:
I share my shop with a powder coater and trust me, you CAN do it polished lip and what ever color you want in the middle, you just mask the lip off and then coat the color then unmask it and put clear powder on the whole thing and it comes out sharp.

He also charges about $200 for 4 wheels, but maybe alittle more for custom work like two colors.

This is some of his work, sorry I don't have any pictures of wheels right now ;)

I've seen some UGLY looking things happen with electrified masking tape....almost be better to sand and polish an area if someone wanted a machined lip.

Personally, I like a solid color wheel - looks sinister.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
I've seen some UGLY looking things happen with electrified masking tape....almost be better to sand and polish an area if someone wanted a machined lip.

dude I don't know what you quite meen by electrified masking tape, because you don't even use masking tape for powder coating, you use teflon or fiberglass tape ....

and the electostatic gun dosn't effect it at all, mayby you saw someone that used masking tape and it burned in the oven, that might be possible.

Sorry you don't like powdercoating. ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sinister redlines said:
dude I don't know what you quite meen by electrified masking tape, because you don't even use masking tape for powder coating, you use teflon or fiberglass tape ....

and the electostatic gun dosn't effect it at all, mayby you saw someone that used masking tape and it burned in the oven, that might be possible.

Sorry you don't like powdercoating. ;)
Who said I don't like powder coating? I've had lots of parts powdercoated, I've just only seen the process once - not really something I needed to stick around and watch.

Not to be a jerk, but because someone doesn't know something that you know, you have to pop off with some smart assed comment?

If you want to compare automotive knowledge, I'd be glad to have a discussion/debate.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Solid do look nice, but two tone can also look bad ass.......

My bud didn't do these, he got them that way, but he has done work as good or better than these are.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
D3XXFR said:
I live about 3K miles away haha I'm on the east coast shipping all 4 rims will be alot don't you think? Actually is there a way you guys could check? Another thing is it would take forever and a day to get them back.
We are thinking of offering several diffent things powder coated that wouldn't cost as much on the shipping side, like valve covers.

I will look into how much it would cost to ship rims, but the way it would work is with a core charge .... we send you a set of rims, you swapout and send your rims to us, then when we get them we refund the core charge ;) pretty simple ... that how we do it with other guys that we ship to ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts