Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haha...you're already laughing at the thread title, I know. But it was a great race!

Anyone here in the silver RL on rt. 51 outside of Pittsburgh, PA (near Baldwin High School) that handed me my behind? The drive was male, similar age to me (22). Brown hair.

Quick story. I was bringing back my mom's '97 Continental from Jiffy Lube this afternoon, when I rolled up beside an RL. Light was red, we had our windows down. I told him I loved his car, was thinking about buying one. He told me he got it a few weeks back, and then asked me if I wanted to race for the hell of it. I told him I knew what he had under the hood, and he asked me about my engine. The Lincoln's got the 4.6 V8...260 horses. It's not fast, but does have decent pickup. Then again, I'm lugging almost 4k pounds around :rolleyes:. I think its 0-60 is around the 7 sec. mark; no idea about the quarter. The Mark VIIIs run high low 15s on a good day, and I don't think the weight's much different.

Anyway, I brake-revd for the launch (poor car), and off we went. He had a crappy launch, so I jumped ahead. Then he pulled aside, then ahead--and ahead--once we hit 3rd. Then left me in the dust @ about 80 MPH. We both backed off and @ the next light, he told me he was still getting used to a manual.

All in all a fun--albeit strange--race. Real friendly RL driver, and it just made me want an RL all the more. Sounded like he had the airbox mod, as I heard that supercharger whine over my V8. Gotta love that blatting exhaust and RC car sound! :D

So, anyone here? If so, nice car!

--Jon

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
not me, but i bet it was kind of cool being on the other side of the coin on that one, especially since you want one, i still want to have someone else drive my car so i can get a good idea of how it sounds/looks from the outside speeding around...

the MarkVIII has something like 290hp though (cobra engine, so i've read), so expect your continental to be slower than that, plus it's got FWD as opposed to the Mark's RWD

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vita said:
not me, but i bet it was kind of cool being on the other side of the coin on that one, especially since you want one, i still want to have someone else drive my car so i can get a good idea of how it sounds/looks from the outside speeding around...

the MarkVIII has something like 290hp though (cobra engine, so i've read), so expect your continental to be slower than that, plus it's got FWD as opposed to the Mark's RWD
Ah, I never knew the Mark VIII had the Cobra engine. Just checked on MSN auto--sure enough!

I've always had a soft spot for them (the marks), especially the last model year ('98 I think). Something just...sexy about that car. Plus is doesn't help matters that there's one in my parent's neighborhood, the same pearl color as my mom's Lincoln. The guy has nice 18" 5 spoke rims, it's lowered about an inch, and has a louder exhaust. You hear it coming, think it's one of the stangs in the area, then see that slick car shooting past. I'd consider buying one--especially for the price, damn cars don't hold their value--but the $$$ for repairs is insane (ask my mom :rolleyes: ).

But ya, it was fun racing the RL. I saw his headlights for a few seconds, then got to listen to it pull beside and away. Can't wait to get one!

--Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts