Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this dude on our team has a nice RSX-S and Ive wanted to race him for a while. So last friday we were cruizing to the bar and we got to go at it twice. The first was a 40mph roll.We dropped about the same time and I pulled about a half a car by 75 when we both dropped out. Next rull was arun from a 30mph roll. We were even though about 50 when I slowly, but consistently pulled about a third a car up to about 80 when we dropped out again.

His mods: short ram, exhaust, header, underdrive pulley, and reflah. He also has four giant 18s which I think made alot of diffrence.
My mods: CAI and cat back.

·
Registered
679 Posts
good kill........run him from a dig do a 1k launch and watch him spin and try to get moving. youl be glad you did. it works on s2k's

·
Registered
361 Posts
I keep telling all my friends with RSXs that the Redline will beat a Type-S and all of them just deny it and proclaim Honda's "glory" or point to the supercharger and claim it an unfair race. I then point to their iV-TEC and 8K redline. Then they say "Hondata" and say that they can do anything. They say that it can go as fast as they want as if the laws of physics don't apply to Hondas, I then tell them that they still have drag limitations and not enough torque to overcome those drag limitations as well as gearing limitations. One friend with an orange '05 Type-S claims to have run a 13.8 with i/e/h and a Hondata reflash. If a Hondata reflash gets them into the 13's then Honda really f*cked up on those ECUs.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
I keep telling all my friends with RSXs that the Redline will beat a Type-S and all of them just deny it and proclaim Honda's "glory" or point to the supercharger and claim it an unfair race. I then point to their iV-TEC and 8K redline. Then they say "Hondata" and say that they can do anything. They say that it can go as fast as they want as if the laws of physics don't apply to Hondas, I then tell them that they still have drag limitations and not enough torque to overcome those drag limitations as well as gearing limitations. One friend with an orange '05 Type-S claims to have run a 13.8 with i/e/h and a Hondata reflash. If a Hondata reflash gets them into the 13's then Honda really f*cked up on those ECUs.

If they're really running 13's with reflash then Honda wanted to keep insurance down and are getting some of the aftermarket $. :confused: Hmm

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
If a Hondata reflash gets them into the 13's then Honda really f*cked up on those ECUs.

Don't forget the reflash only works with the right combination of "ricer-type" stickers. :D I had a type-S with a vast array of stickers all over that tried to run with me from a roll. I consistently pulled on him throughout most of the rev range. I think maybe all his stickers added extra "bulk" that inhibited his drag. You know I'm thinking maybe I need to get a SATURN vinyl on my rear window because I'm not exactly sure if that guy in the TSX-S knew that he was beat by a Saturn.....?!?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
There was a discussion a long time ago on here about ECUs and tuning parts. The factory parts are all tuned to work together, and that data is all reflected in the ECU. When you change parts, you are then out of tune with everything else. That reflash would take advantage of all the physical parts, putting them back in tune. So, no, I'm sure Honda didn't mess up the tuning. Also remember, they have to consider emissions and the like as well, whereas this "reflash" focuses more on going fast.

You want to talk about a factory messing up an ECU?

Also, what's the deal with not enough torque?! The RSX and the RL have the same BORExSTROKE. If you can make torque with the RL, you can make it with the RSX.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When I said "not enough torque" I meant they most likely didn't have enough torque to overcome the wind resistance to reach speeds of 180-200mph like I've heard a few of them claim before. And if they do have enough torque to reach those speeds, I doubt the stock gearbox has gears that can allow that car to reach those speeds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
gm3saturn said:
Okay, so this dude on our team has a nice RSX-S and Ive wanted to race him for a while. So last friday we were cruizing to the bar and we got to go at it twice. The first was a 40mph roll.We dropped about the same time and I pulled about a half a car by 75 when we both dropped out. Next rull was arun from a 30mph roll. We were even though about 50 when I slowly, but consistently pulled about a third a car up to about 80 when we dropped out again.

His mods: short ram, exhaust, header, underdrive pulley, and reflah. He also has four giant 18s which I think made alot of diffrence.
My mods: CAI and cat back.
BS, You do realize that Type-S's are invincible from a 3rd gear roll, right? :D

j/k of course. Always nice to see one of those VTEC-lovers go down to a domestic.

Oh, and, off-topic... I've always wondered why groups of car people call themselves "teams". I'm willing to hear a good explanation, but it's not like you do relay drag racing or something. :confused:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
180-200mph like I've heard a few of them claim before...I doubt the stock gearbox has gears that can allow that car to reach those speeds.
They claimed that on a car that still has the stock gearbox?

What's wrong with that is not only the gearing, but if they had enough power to go that fast, they prolly wouldn't be able to use the stock box.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Blainestang said:
...VTEC-lovers...relay drag racing...
Relay race, that's funny as hell.

You know why we love variable valve timing and lift right? Compare it to any other non-variable N/A engine with the same displacement. It's smarter technology.

Besides... You said VTEC, not Vtec, or V-tech. You are more familiar with this than you are letting on...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
shit i go 200mph on a monthly basis

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
oh damn my bad. I can hit 140 in a good hurry in the car. The other vehicle will make that 200 mark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts