Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i got a bunch of races up against an SRT-4, bone stock

he consistantly pulled on me EVERY time, running 14.8-14.3's or so, can't recall exactly, but he didn't break 13's at all.

my one chance to beat him was when he ran 15's, but i botched the launch and ended up with my worst as well, a 15.9 or so.

i've got some videos, but i'll have to post them up later tonight

also have video of a RL vs ls1 modded trans am. that's a good one...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The track is always a blast to go to. I love seeing the REAL world numbers of cars. To be completely honest it is not very often that I see cars running what they should or could run. For example I once watched a cadillac CTS-V run consisitent 15's all night. Sounds like you had fun.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was a blast! really windy though, and not in our favor. i bet i could've gone lower if the wind was calmer, it was a headwind coming slightly from the west...

i ran a GTO that only pulled a 14.5xx and he (now i think this is classic) put his hazzards on.

a 350hp muscle car with RWD should have gotten better than that, especially better than that when my 200hp FWD econobox pulled a 14.901 same day, same track

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Vita said:
it was a blast! really windy though, and not in our favor. i bet i could've gone lower if the wind was calmer, it was a headwind coming slightly from the west...

i ran a GTO that only pulled a 14.5xx and he (now i think this is classic) put his hazzards on.

a 350hp muscle car with RWD should have gotten better than that, especially better than that when my 200hp FWD econobox pulled a 14.901 same day, same track
yep the hazzard thing is really lame. Did you see if he was an m6 or auto? Dosn't matter it totally furthers my point of real world numbers. Also wind is a huge deal!! A bad head wind will lower your traps significantly. I have had wind lower my trap by as much a 3 mph before, but also I had a nice tailwind before and it was giving me a good 1-2 mph.

Edit note: Was the 14.5 the best run of the GTO? Just for reference I ran a 14.1 the first time ever to the track with my stock lt1 with only 285 hp.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't know, but i heard multiple comments about how people wanted to race him because he was running high times.

and i didn't even think about the wind until my fiance mentioned she thinks i would have done better if it wasn't so windy, she said she was getting blown all over in the bleachers.

i think i did really well though considering everything. my best was the 14.9 and i slipped out the clutch at around 3-3.5k rpms. i had another run that felt even better but the timeslip was messed up, said i ran a 12 at 73mph!?!

i bet that would have been at least into the 14.8's, it really felt good, and i was all by myself running down the track for that one

·
Registered
221 Posts
nice runs. :D

were you getting the jump off the line on the srt?
did he start walking you after the 1/8?
just curious, since I still haven't ran into an rl at the track.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got a jump on him a couple times, but in my excitement got some wheel hop and he jumped right up to me, i stayed even for maybe a second or two as he started to pull, and keep pulling. i'd say 1/8 mi was about where he was gone. though i did have a couple good runs against him, i couldn't take him. and he was BONE STOCK. so to those claiming to pull on an SRT at all, it's BS, no way we can hang with one from a roll. MAYBE from a dig, where we get a jump, they have a bad launch, but by the time to shift to 3rd, they're pulling on us. i only have an intake, but i doubt an exhaust would make up for much of a difference when we're talking torque numbers like the SRT has

·
Registered
221 Posts
Vita said:
i got a jump on him a couple times, but in my excitement got some wheel hop and he jumped right up to me, i stayed even for maybe a second or two as he started to pull, and keep pulling. i'd say 1/8 mi was about where he was gone. though i did have a couple good runs against him, i couldn't take him. and he was BONE STOCK. so to those claiming to pull on an SRT at all, it's BS, no way we can hang with one from a roll. MAYBE from a dig, where we get a jump, they have a bad launch, but by the time to shift to 3rd, they're pulling on us. i only have an intake, but i doubt an exhaust would make up for much of a difference when we're talking torque numbers like the SRT has
sounds like you had alot of fun.

what track were you running at?
it sure sounds like a poorly maintained track or at least a high elevation.

I am really looking forward to track time this year.
I hope there will be some rl's and ss's out there to run.
our class is starting to really get crowded with some quick cars!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually it's well maintained (they were sweeping off by the staging lights after almost every run), and i don't think we're too high of elevation. it's great lakes dragaway in Union Grove, WI. don't know if you've heard of it, but it seems to be pretty nice. lots of dragsters were going, and a LOT of fast v8's were there. some SVT cobra i ran against must've been pro, but he dusted me and i couldn't know his time since he was pro. WAY FAST!

but yeah, it was a hell of a time!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great runs man. The Srt-4's strongest gear is 3rd gear. It will be hard to match him when he hits third. A bad spot for the Srt-4 is a low mph roll. If you wanna try to beat one get him to run a 15-20 mph roll. You will anihilate him. Its to low for 2nd and to high for 1st.

Believe me, i used to own an Srt-4.... until i rolled it 6 times :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good first time runs. A couple more trips and you will be mid 14's for sure. ;)

I don't know Chexmixa, I had a better outcome against my friends GTO, from a 10 mph roll in first than I did from a dig. I actually kept it even till about the middle of second than he walked me like nothing to about 3 car lengths till 120.

brake boost = no lag.

·
Registered
221 Posts
blu4door said:

I don't know Chexmixa, I had a better outcome against my friends GTO, from a 10 mph roll in first than I did from a dig. I actually kept it even till about the middle of second than he walked me like nothing to about 3 car lengths till 120.

brake boost = no lag.
you were brake boosting @ 10mph?

hehehe ;)

you must have been running slicks. :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
blu4door said:

brake boost = no lag.
brake boosting is worthless on the srt-4. You can only build like 2 psi. On top of that your gunna spin like no other. Or have a slow start. of course brake boosting is soooooooooooooooooooooooo beneficial to your drive train.

I raced my friend's ls1 a couple times from a 15 mph roll. He would instantly jump 1.5 cars. and by 60 ish mph i would pull half a car back. Slam it into 4th and its like i hit a brick wall, he pulls on me like he has rockets. from 100 mph and up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
He would instantly jump 1.5 cars. and by 60 ish mph i would pull half a car back.

You weren't stock

I am stock, I don't spin to often from a roll. It all depends on the road surface.

Actually IIRC I can build around 6 or 7 lbs. in first. And the stress on the driveline is for what 2 seconds? A hard launch on the track is 10x worse for your drivetrain.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Vita said:
I really like the redlines, and can't wait till the aftermarket catches up to it. Once you guys start having the aftermarket behind you, you will be great matches for the srt's.

And Vita I respect your honesty. Hey most people know I am not the most honest guy on the planet, but I never lie about wins and loses. Its all in the fun of owning a fun car. Glad to see a rl owner telling how the cars match up stock for stock.

Otherwise you have people like redliner misleading people saying that stock redlines are gonna pull on staged srt's by four to five cars.

Great runs at the track...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
akuma337 said:
I really like the redlines, and can't wait till the aftermarket catches up to it. Once you guys start having the aftermarket behind you, you will be great matches for the srt's.

And Vita I respect your honesty. Hey most people know I am not the most honest guy on the planet, but I never lie about wins and loses. Its all in the fun of owning a fun car. Glad to see a rl owner telling how the cars match up stock for stock.

Otherwise you have people like redliner misleading people saying that stock redlines are gonna pull on staged srt's by four to five cars.

Great runs at the track...
thank you, i've been waiting for the opportunity, and there were more than one of us to run against him. i had at least 5 runs back after back against him alone, so it wasn't just a fluke, and one of the runs was my best with the 14.901 so i can honestly say that stock for stock, the SRT wins hands down (not like i didn't know that with the tq number being put down by those monsters).

maybe on the street, somebody gets the advantage or whatever, but i don't see it happening. once they pull you can't keep up, but i do have to be honest in the fact that they don't pull TOO hard on us, it was like watching him creep away slowly.

he never ran anything better than a 14.3 if i'm not mistaken, he is on the SRT forums, so when i post the video, maybe someone will chime in over there with a link so he can comment, as i wasn't too worried about what he was running as i was improving my own times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Vita said:
actually it's well maintained (they were sweeping off by the staging lights after almost every run), and i don't think we're too high of elevation. it's great lakes dragaway in Union Grove, WI. don't know if you've heard of it, but it seems to be pretty nice. lots of dragsters were going, and a LOT of fast v8's were there. some SVT cobra i ran against must've been pro, but he dusted me and i couldn't know his time since he was pro. WAY FAST!

but yeah, it was a hell of a time!
Yes, Da Grove is a great track. Usually pretty busy there. I've usually found that I've run my best times there, even on cold days when traction is a bigger issue than normal. Funny thing is, the track actually runs somewhat uphill. The track I normally run at runs somewhat downhill.

I like the new upgrades at Grove, wider track, and the new guardrails. The repaving was needed because the top end of the track was getting really rough.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PocketViper said:
Why is it so slow? Its simple, the GTO has an IRS (which sucks for drag racing) and weighs over 3800lbs. The thing is a friggin tank.
what do people usually run with them?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts