Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Redline a bit over a month ago (its an 04) and I love it (from Saturn of Gaithersburg).

I am finally graduating college (undergrad) in Baltimore. I started in Indiana in engineering and I wound up in Baltimore with Philosophy, go figure. It took 8 years on and off working and crap between going to school. I'm doing a road trip out to Colorado where I have a place where I can stay and I am planning on driving on I 70 out. Basically this is a 3 week vacation while I wait for my job applications to be processed and I get a real job.

That said.

Has anyone else done a road trip in a redline and if so what were your experiences? I'm taking a buddy of mine who can't drive. So it is just me driving. I have made the trip before in 3 days in a shitty vehicle. But it can be done in 28 hours of straight driving. Is there anyplace that you all would recommend stopping as far as cool stuff goes? I have the whole taste for the quirky and so on. It makes me sad there is no South of the Boarder or Big Texan on the way out. I'm going through St. Louis, Columbus, Kansas City and so on. I love gambling, food, and the such.

So what should I make sure I check out? / avoid?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I have NEVER been on that side of the country, but I'd kind of like to take a trek through there. I can't offer any insight as to what to see/what not to see, but I can say, good luck! The Redline should be a fairly competent trip car, I've taken a 200-mile trip in mine and had a blast, I'd love to take a longer trip if I could save up some money. Just be gentle on the gas pedal, because if you haul too much ass, your gas bill will kill you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
gary3 said:
Has anyone else done a road trip in a redline and if so what were your experiences? I'm taking a buddy of mine who can't drive. So it is just me driving. I have made the trip before in 3 days in a shitty vehicle. But it can be done in 28 hours of straight driving. Is there anyplace that you all would recommend stopping as far as cool stuff goes? I have the whole taste for the quirky and so on. It makes me sad there is no South of the Boarder or Big Texan on the way out. I'm going through St. Louis, Columbus, Kansas City and so on. I love gambling, food, and the such.

So what should I make sure I check out? / avoid?
Try to close your eyes through Kansas, it's a pretty straight shot till about Limon, CO. so it shoudn't be a problem. Not too much to see this side of KC. Enjoy the trip, and once you hit the border of CO, it'll be a steady climb untill just after Limon, CO is shaped kinda like a bowl. There are a few great clubs in St. Louis, and KC (on the MO side anyways). Don't forget to check out the arch while you're there!! Have fun, and watch KS state patrol, they like to hide, and grab you especially the last two towns before the CO state line!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
I have NEVER been on that side of the country, but I'd kind of like to take a trek through there. I can't offer any insight as to what to see/what not to see, but I can say, good luck! The Redline should be a fairly competent trip car, I've taken a 200-mile trip in mine and had a blast, I'd love to take a longer trip if I could save up some money. Just be gentle on the gas pedal, because if you haul too much ass, your gas bill will kill you.
NOT REALLY ON TOPIC, BUT CHEESE AND RICE ABOUT THE GAS BILL. I TAKE ABOUT 20 + MIN RIDE TO WORK AND THE GAS GUAGE IN THIS CAR DOESN'T GO DOWN GRADUALLY....IT'S JUST PLUMITS FROM FULL TO 1/2 IN 2.5 SECONDS. IT'S NUTZ, BUT WOULDN'T TRADE THIS CAR IN FOR THE WORLD!!!!
WELL, OTHER THAN FOR A VIPER.....MMMMMM VIPER

·
Registered
296 Posts
gary3 said:
...I have made the trip before in 3 days in a shitty vehicle. But it can be done in 28 hours of straight driving....
Re your 3400+ mile trip in 28 hours... you'd have to average a bit better than 120 mph to do that!

Or, do you mean half of a 3400 mile round trip in 28 hours... that's certainly doable. In my RL I've made trips with average ground speed of nearly 78 mph (295 miles in 3 hr 40 mins, front door to front door) but pushing 120+ mph would take some doing!!!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I bet anything with forced induction would be a godsend in the mountains, compared to what I'm used to. The Trailblazer we took was good all the way up, it lost power, but still had a good amount.

The other cars SUCKED at altitude...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the 1700 miles in 28 hours of driving time. The gas mileage is going to suck bad. I have a few passangers so it should help defray gas costs. It should be a good time in the mountains. The whole supercharger thing was basically developed to solve the low O2 content problem in planes. I am looking forward to running Loveland Pass.

Mostly I am just looking forward to the vacation.

·
Registered
296 Posts
gary3 said:
...The gas mileage is going to suck bad. I have a few passangers so it should help defray gas costs....
If you keep steady speeds (cruise control is your friend!) in the 70-80 mph range, you should still see mileage in the 25-26 mpg running 93 octane... maybe even better. Even running 80-90 mph I still get around 23-24 mpg.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Gas milage up here with my foot in it half the time is about 23mpg....Going up I-70 toward Eisenhower at 135 kicks butt!!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
have fun, i averaged 28mpg on my last trip, going 80 steady, minus some chicago traffic. so it won't be too bad! drive safely!

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
yall r crazy i picked up my car may 1st and i drove from CO springs, CO all the way back to Sac, CA in less than 15 hrs and the cruise was set at 85 and i got ~ 30 mpg. that was a 2200 mile drive, i think ~ 6 1/2 tanks-o-gas and that was thru blizards and rain storms and fog and just about every other stupid act of god. drove non stop ......... well except gas and to take the ocasional leak and food. :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
pclear9061 said:
yall r crazy i picked up my car may 1st and i drove from CO springs, CO all the way back to Sac, CA in less than 15 hrs and the cruise was set at 85 and i got ~ 30 mpg. that was a 2200 mile drive, i think ~ 6 1/2 tanks-o-gas and that was thru blizards and rain storms and fog and just about every other stupid act of god. drove non stop ......... well except gas and to take the ocasional leak and food. :D

Ummmm, you were going downhill the entire way, not up hill......

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
hell i went thru all the moutians and salt lands and every type of road possiable. it was one of the best trips ive been on in a long time. if you like snow and fog and rain and hail and every god forsaken thing that could happen take the trip in may from Co Springs, CO to Sac, CA its fun and trippy at the same time .... but make sure that you have great tires cuz you wont make it if you dont.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts