Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lets start off with the fact I have multiple issues.
I just picked up a bone stock 06 Ion Redline (160k miles) a week ago

1) The idle is rough and kinda jumpy. This problem only gets worse above 3k rpms. I checked compression cyl 1 200 cyl 2 190 cyl 3 180 cyl 4 190. I changed spark plugs (and checked the gap). Still nothing.

2) I just did timing on the car being as I heard a rattling like the chain was loose. That turned out to be the common issue of the upper timing chain guide bolt braking and slapping around (silly me for not asking anyone with a redline what the noise was). But now I can still hear a ticking noise that seems to calm down after about 20-40 seconds of idling and thats concerning me (it did this before I did timing as well)

3) I can not get the air box screws off to check the filter and was wondering how to get the whole box out.

4) My brake pedal is soft and when I pump the brake pedal (car running) the idle get jumpy (from 700rpm to about 1k).

5) My steering wheel seems to have a dead spot in the middle (I am assuming it is a rack issue) but I have never worked with and electronically controlled rack before so I cant tell if the motor would cause this issue or the rack its self.

I would appreciate any help I can get on these issues as I am new to the Redline crowd.

(Things I have done this far, new plugs, drive belt, belt tensioner, timing kit, and check compression)

Thank You
Clayton

·
Super Moderator
1,614 Posts
Welcome,

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Seems the booster hose may be the cause of that.
Hows the fluid look? A flush probably wouldnt hurt at all.

The sub frame needs to be dropped for the box to come out...well I'm one piece. Crappy design.

As far as the tick goes. Hard to say.
Harbor freight sells a mechanics stethoscope fpr like $5. Or use the old screw driver trick. But could be a lifter or such

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
The box info can definitetly be found here on the forum. Search for it it and there are many discussions.

I know that the filter is very difficult to "check" from a time perspective.

From my experience, it has been easier to have the dealership take it apart because they don't charge that much for this type of service. I had this changed out for about $20 + the filter

But can't say that I will get it that cheap in the future.

The retail auto shops don't even attempt to check or replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I find this interesting:
"That turned out to be the common issue of the upper timing chain guide bolt braking and slapping around (silly me for not asking anyone with a redline what the noise was)"

Is there a common noise to this timing chain guide bolt braking slapping...

The reason I ask this is because I have never heard anyone discuss this common isssue. I have a noise from time to time that is a low tone rattle but I have never identified what it is. The common noise everyone says is that it is coming from the supercharger - from what I can remember. They say to have the SC bearings replaced or greased - don't really remember exactly.

Anyway that is good to know that there are other causes of a rattle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like the guys above said, go get a stethoscope ASAP and locate the noise with it. This being said, how many miles are on the car? My money is the supercharger needs to be serviced/rebuilt. Or just fill it with oil if that's where the noise is coming from and take it from there. Go get the stethoscope first. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
56 Posts
They sell a bearing kit for the SC snout on eBay (if you know somebody with a press). According to the service manual, you're supposed to check the snout oil every oil change. lol
The soft brakes and surge might be a leaking brake booster, too. Try spraying some carb cleaner around the check valve at the booster to see if the rpm's go up (to rule out the hose).
To remove the air filter, I just loosen the duct at the throttle body and use a long flathead to get to the 3 bolts. Then you have to wiggle it around all of the hoses. The whole cannister is a pain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
FWIW, Intense can rebuild your snout for a great price. If you don't know anyone with a larger press that is. Like I said before, locate the noise before you start spending unnecessary money. The K.I.S.S. AKA keep it simple stupid principal fully applies.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
how does one check the oil in the SC? odd but I have never checked it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find this interesting:
"That turned out to be the common issue of the upper timing chain guide bolt braking and slapping around (silly me for not asking anyone with a redline what the noise was)"

Is there a common noise to this timing chain guide bolt braking slapping...

The reason I ask this is because I have never heard anyone discuss this common isssue. I have a noise from time to time that is a low tone rattle but I have never identified what it is. The common noise everyone says is that it is coming from the supercharger - from what I can remember. They say to have the SC bearings replaced or greased - don't really remember exactly.

Anyway that is good to know that there are other causes of a rattle
My noise sounds like is it coming from a rocker on the exhaust side in the valve train. My compression checked out and when I serviced the timing there was not any scarring on the cams so at the time I didn't investigate further. I just assumed that the broken bolt for the timing chain guide was the issue (only part of the issue).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like the guys above said, go get a stethoscope ASAP and locate the noise with it. This being said, how many miles are on the car? My money is the supercharger needs to be serviced/rebuilt. Or just fill it with oil if that's where the noise is coming from and take it from there. Go get the stethoscope first. Let us know the results.
The noise is coming from the valve train (exhaust side) but I didn't notice any markings on the cam. Is it possible that it wiped out a rocker? I would think that would leave marks on the camshaft though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts