Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it got to 60 degrees and sunny in ohio so everyone was out. So i got the stang out as well. I had my gf and daughter with me so i dont play around much due to safety of my daughter plus hey its added weight. Well there is this damn probe GT..like 96-97 5 speed with a big ass spoiler and "dual" exhaust that smoked like a coal train. I have seen him before..so anyways he was on my ass and then decided to get over and then catch up with me..so once he was about at my back bumper with his nose i punched it, we were going like 45...well i was he must be going 60 to catch up with me..my car is weakest since its an auto at this speed it shifts from 3rd to 2nd. When i am going around 35 it shifts from 3rd to 1st and a BIG kick. So anyways once i started going he had been allready gunning it.. i was like at his back bumper and i got up around his front fender.. then had to let off because he almost rearended the cars in front of us. So i am sure he is chalking up a win but i dont see any one of us winners..it wasnt even from a dead even roll which i dont consider a real race but it wasnt even that. Had we had more time i prolly still would of passed him. It wasnt stock i am sure but if we raced from a stop and i was alone in the car like he was i bet id taken it. Gotta get some more mods.!!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Aeain said:
It's awesome outside. I hate people who have big non functional wings on a FWD car.

hey now, once you start hitting 200+mph, those big wings start to become functional ;)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sp00ner said:
Good thing they didn't replace the Mustang with that POS. Who the hell wants to tell their friends that they're coming to pick them up with a new probe? I'd be scared...
True dat. They may have the blue oval on them but they are ricers in my book.

·
Registered
82 Posts
booooooooo!!! i had a 95 probe gt for a while. still got the wheels if anybody wants to buy them! it was a fun car to drive and sporty enough. i got ALL kinds of hell for driving an "anal probe" though. lol.

about the altered fuel, i was just reading an article the other day about the ecotec being modified just that way for the salt flat runs. if anybody is interested, i'll go dig it up.

tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeesh, sorry to bring up an old thread but I wish I read this before asking for advice...

I do fully understand the dual muffler/big wing ricer issue. I drive a Probe but it's a GT with the stock spoiler and factory ground effects. I prefer to keep it subtle, it cuts down on the anal probe comments.

We're not all ricers.

·
Registered
710 Posts
yah well we can get the ricer thing too. I've had my car labeled a ricer before. And if you really think about it...it has a bodykit, high spoiler, intake, four cylinders...the only thing that saves it from being a ricer is a blower strapped to the engine :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
My ex girlfriend used to have a 1990 3.0 V6 probe with the 5speed. It was an ok car nothing special, it moved somewhat but it was not fast by any means. It was much faster then her automatic 1988 turbo dodge daytona My good friend got a 1994 probe gt 5 speed with the 2.5 V6, that car handled really good and was quite a bit faster then the 1990 probe, but it was deceptively quick, my supra would piss all over it :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
but it was deceptively quick, my supra would piss all over it :)
I know what you're sayin'. Back in high school when me and some buddies were into the gay F&F shit (yes, I was one of the brainwashed idiots temporarily, with the fart cannons and "Imports can't lose/handle like racecars"-mentality, although not too bad of one), I had 2 buddies with '93 Probe GT's: one was an auto, and one was a 5 speed. The 5-speed was the "awesome fast car of our clique"... because it was a V6 and ran mid-15's LOL. :D We all seriously hailed that car. The automatic was just as slow as my '92 Celica GT coupe 5speed.

Ahhhh, to be a stupid ricer again. ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
TransAm52804 said:
I know what you're sayin'. Back in high school when me and some buddies were into the gay F&F shit (yes, I was one of the brainwashed idiots temporarily, with the fart cannons and "Imports can't lose/handle like racecars"-mentality, although not too bad of one), I had 2 buddies with '93 Probe GT's: one was an auto, and one was a 5 speed. The 5-speed was the "awesome fast car of our clique"... because it was a V6 and ran mid-15's LOL. :D We all seriously hailed that car. The automatic was just as slow as my '92 Celica GT coupe 5speed.

Ahhhh, to be a stupid ricer again. ;)
Its funny how you think something is fast at a certain time in your life. I thought my 88 turbo t-bird 5 speed was fast, i ran a 16.3 with it at the track, it was my first car and it would piss all over my brothers 1986 6cylinder firebird. Then my brother got an 88 turbo supra and my t-bird was no longer fast. Since then time has passed, i thought my supra was fast at one point, until my friend got his 498rwhp 1989 japanese 2.5 turbo supra, now sadly nothing will be fast again compared to that. My gf thought her moms 1994 4cylinder auto camry was fast, but then again compared to her 1994 automatic nissan sentra it was fast, its all relative i guess. Now she has two 1991 turbo mr2 5 speeds and she realizes the camry is actually slow.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When i was at the track yesterday i was waiting for my first run. This kid in this stock except fart muffler early 90s cavalier is next to me. Its the 4 cylinder one too 5 speed i assume, not a z-24 even. Anyways he is like, is that thing stock? Pointing to my car. I was like no, not really anymore. He told me he just got this car and he used to have another cavy that ran 16's flat and how he beat all these focuses and stuff. I was like ok. So my first run was against him...my 14.7 to his 18.7!!! Talk about a smack down...my car is slow but then again half the cars there mine kicks their ass!! lol Its funny when i used to tell ricers at the track my car ran 15.3, stock with K&N drop in and weld in flows, and they were like whooah thats pretty good. lol. I guess i am slower then half the cars there, but faster then half too :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I make no claims that my car is fast, I just wanted to defend MY anal Probe against the ricer image. We have the normal amount of rice to realist ratio on our message board and most of those guys (ricer PGT owners) think nothing can beat them. It's sad.

I was wondering if you (mbhmustang) ever considered converting your stang to a five speed. That's the main reason I'm hanging on to my Probe at the age of thirty. It used to be an auto and I had no real mechanical skill at the time. I read every write up on the tranny swap and went from there. Now I have no reason to bring the car to a mechanic other than internal tranny issues. It's not worth much anymore except to me so I'll keep it.

With a 1200.00 a month mortgage payment and a family, the Probe is my little hobby car. My son enjoy's working on it with me and luckily something goes wrong pretty much every week. He's the only 2.5 year old I know that will bring a ratchet when asked and on the first try too.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jmmdm2 said:
I make no claims that my car is fast, I just wanted to defend MY anal Probe against the ricer image. We have the normal amount of rice to realist ratio on our message board and most of those guys (ricer PGT owners) think nothing can beat them. It's sad.

I was wondering if you (mbhmustang) ever considered converting your stang to a five speed. That's the main reason I'm hanging on to my Probe at the age of thirty. It used to be an auto and I had no real mechanical skill at the time. I read every write up on the tranny swap and went from there. Now I have no reason to bring the car to a mechanic other than internal tranny issues. It's not worth much anymore except to me so I'll keep it.

With a 1200.00 a month mortgage payment and a family, the Probe is my little hobby car. My son enjoy's working on it with me and luckily something goes wrong pretty much every week. He's the only 2.5 year old I know that will bring a ratchet when asked and on the first try too.

Yes i did for as long as i owned it wanted a 5 speed, until about a month ago when i got the jmod( shift kit pretty much) It made it shift pretty firm, and now the line pressure is also raised via the tune it snaps your neck and never misses a shift so i am happy with it. Once i get a 3800 stall in it, ill never look back
:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
blu4door said:
If your going to do a lot of drag racing, keep the auto. Auto's are more consistant for drags.
Depends if he wants to do a lot of bracket racing where consistency will be key, or if he, like most of us, is out there to get our best and fastest times, and also do a little street racing from time to time (I don't condone it though), where you'll most likely want the manual.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I converted my 90 Camaro to a 5spd... lotsa work, not too hard, but lotsa work!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts