Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay,went out to the runs and cruised gratiot last night and this is how it went. I hit the runs with my buddy (captain of team Hayasa) and his SVT Focus. His car has intake, exhaust, headers, pully, ECU, and 50 shot of n2o. Hes running 14.4 1/4s so its a quick SVT. First time, I got a good launch but missed second and by the time I got back in it I was down about 2 cars:mad: Second time, he had a bad launch and I took him by about 2 cars. Third shot, we both had good launches and I had him by about 1/2 a car. Forth shot, we lined up again but this time with a STI too. We all had good launches and I got the SVT by about 3/4 of a car. The STI took off pritty good but I was able to stay with in a car and a half. The SVT never really gained. Neddless to say, I was stocked. Next, I got lined up with a ornge SRT4. We both got good launches and he was emedietly about a car up on me. By second he pulled a little more but I was able to keep it up after that. It never got more then a little more then a car.
Okay, I get to gratiot and run into anouther SRT4. We are going about 40 and we both drop into second at the same time. I pull about a half a car by third and a full car by forth, then I drop out. Last but not least, I pull up to a light and see a bone stock Ion QC. This dude starts reving at me and needless to say, Im confused. Light tunrs green and I let the guy stay with me. His car has about 4 people in it and there all yelling at me, "were gonna smoke you" so then I gave them a little wave and droped it back to second and took off. Poor kids had no idea. I had a couple wins and a couple loses. All and all, I had a good night.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Sounded like you had a good night out there. Good job Joe. Sorry I couldn't make it. I was in Flint moving dirt and tending to the horses. But I did race a new GTO in 475. Got my ass handed to me. lol.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Did your buddy put a supercharger on his SVT Focus? You said one of his mods was a pulley. Good work though, building up our respect on Gratiot :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Pulley..

Pulleys dont just help superchargers they help decrease the parasitic loss by decreasing the weight they have to move. Pulleys are alwasy a good investment.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No S/C, yet. He wants one now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
good stuff man.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Redline686 said:
Pulleys dont just help superchargers they help decrease the parasitic loss by decreasing the weight they have to move. Pulleys are alwasy a good investment.
dissagree a bit with you. They underdrive the auxillary systems which can make them run less effecient, i.e. the alternator not charging as well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im kinda disapointed in my run with the ornge SRT4. Think I could have done a little better. Besides the Focus running spray, Id have to say that the best part of the night was keeping up with the STI. I know that I was only able to do that because of the driver but thats alright with me. Yall should have seen his face when we hit fourth and he looked over and saw a saturn next to him. Thats classic.

·
Registered
888 Posts
clownhair said:
dissagree a bit with you. They underdrive the auxillary systems which can make them run less effecient, i.e. the alternator not charging as well.
They can also make the engine a little unbalanced since some pullies are a specific weight to balance the engine.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
It's not the weight of the pulleys usually, it's the size of them. They put 'underdrive' pulleys on cars because it turns the accessories slower, and requires less horsepower to do so. You're if effect, changing the gearing on the pulley sets. Most accessories are turning too fast for what the really need to be, so underdrive pulleys are installed to free up a couple of extra ponies, and in some cases can prolong the life of the accessories. Particularly if you like to ride the gas alot. You'd be suprised how many alternators aren't made for racing RPM's all the time. The ones that were made for the Camaros and Mustangs by March, were tested to determine which model/year/engine setup could benefit from the pulleys, and how much they could be slowed down safely. In some instances, they didn't offer pulleys for some accessories becuase they would run too slowly to accomplish their designed intent. As far as the balancing goes, that's only true on the crank pulley, and only sometimes. The other pulleys are not connected internally to the rotating assembly of the engine, and if it's a quality pulley, it will be well balanced anyway. Now, if you buy pulley's from 'Bob's Custom Pulley Shop', then you're on your own.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congrats on the kill, its great that the RL can keep up with and apparently some times pull on the Srt-4. Keep up the good work, i hope to race an RL or a cobalt soon but haven't seen any in my area. I wanna see first hand how the SS/RL stacks up against my Srt-4.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chexmixa said:
Congrats on the kill, its great that the RL can keep up with and apparently some times pull on the Srt-4. Keep up the good work, i hope to race an RL or a cobalt soon but haven't seen any in my area. I wanna see first hand how the SS/RL stacks up against my Srt-4.
Thanks man. Where you from? If its any where in the detroit area, I'll be happy to help you with your situation. :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next time Im down there I'll hit you up. Or we can meet half way

1 - 16 of 16 Posts