Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Plain Dealer reported this weekend that General Motors plans to move production of the Saturn ION from Spring Hill, Tennessee to Lordstown, Ohio. The plan, which has been rumored for months, has not been officially announced or confirmed by GM. The Lordstown Assembly Plant currently builds the Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac Pursuit (which is only sold in Canada) compact cars. All three models are based on a version of GM's global Delta architecture.

While the Cobalt and Pursuit are virtually clones of one another, the all-new 2007 ION is expected to look distinct and will be different from both models. The 'ION' name is expected to be the only element carried-over to the new model. Gone will be the current car's dent-resistant polymer panels, unique quad-coupe doors, and controversial center-mounted instrument cluster. Styling will borrow heavily from the Opel Astra. Sources tell SaturnFans.com that one GM executive, when commenting on a question posed at the North American International Auto Show in January about a possible ION-Astra connection, reportedly pointed up at the Astra hatchback diesel hybrid on display and said that styling of the new ION "will be even more expressive."
Hmm . . . No more plastic . . .

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not really about the plastic, in my opinion, it's about the principal of the stuff; I don't think that Saturn needs to fade into the obscurity of just another GM division. The stuff that is in our cars - the plastic, the center guages, the slightly goofy looks, it's what makes them unique. If I wanted a Cobalt to blend in, I'd buy a Cobalt and blend in.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The problem, is that other people ARE buying cars to fit in. Get it? While 25% may understand the plastic panels, 75% see them as 'unsafe'. Ignorance ruins it for the rest of us...

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I love my car. Hell, the dent resistant pannels were all we had to hold above other cars up until recently. That and safety and reliability. We bought a Saturn for a reason, the same reason we didn't just go buy a different chevy compact, or some import. This sucks.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really does suck, but Spooner's right - Saturn is a business, and they're going to do what it takes to sell cars, even if it means "selling out" the company's philosophies and trademarks to follow convention. Can't say I'm happy about it, but I do get the gist of it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Screw the dent resistant panels! I want the quad doors! Take those away and i defiantely won't buy one. It's too hard to load stuff in the back of a coupe!

Josh

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sp00ner said:
The problem, is that other people ARE buying cars to fit in. Get it? While 25% may understand the plastic panels, 75% see them as 'unsafe'. Ignorance ruins it for the rest of us...

+ 1,000,000

The whole concept of Saturn (customer service) will never change. That's the only reason GM has kept us around. We get the Import people to buy GM products.

·
Registered
541 Posts
haunter said:
this is all old news peoples

I would consider a 07+ ion if they came in disel-hybrid though

Are you frickin' kidding?? You'll get about 2-4 more MPG than we do now, but pay more for diesel than unleaded and get way worse performance...Screw the diesel cars, they should have stuck to stickin' 'em in trucks and other autos where there was a need for the inherent torque bonus!!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
Are you frickin' kidding?? You'll get about 2-4 more MPG than we do now, but pay more for diesel than unleaded and get way worse performance...Screw the diesel cars, they should have stuck to stickin' 'em in trucks and other autos where there was a need for the inherent torque bonus!!
Don't know where you live but here desiel is WAY cheaper than normal gas. 91.3 per litre for 87 octane vs like 71.1 (i think, not sure as i don't buy it) per litre of desiel...plus desiel engines last FOREVER and have near complete combustion giving much better fuel mileage...at least the ones that i know do.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
XeroState said:
Don't know where you live but here desiel is WAY cheaper than normal gas. 91.3 per litre for 87 octane vs like 71.1 (i think, not sure as i don't buy it) per litre of desiel...plus desiel engines last FOREVER and have near complete combustion giving much better fuel mileage...at least the ones that i know do.
OMG, if diesel were that cheap in the states, EVERYBODY would be clamoring for diesels! I drove by the BP in town today, Premium was $2.49/gallon, Diesel was $2.45. Yikes! It also stinks like ass.

·
Registered
541 Posts
matt said:
opel astra =

GM better not bring that crap over here and call it an ion.

Couldn't agree more!!!! There is a reason they have been selling it in Europe vs. the States. Europeans do love thier cars, but they don't have a love affair with them!! The automakers realized a long time ago, to sell cars in the states, you better have consider performance and looks BEFORE gas mileage. I mean if you wanted the looks and gas mileage of the RL, you could've bought the standard ion with a body kit. We have more roads, that're wider, and longer than any where else in the world (Canada is the 51st state...he he he). We want cars to say who we are as well as perform the way we like. We want to "soup up" what ever car we have be it a beater or a viper. We love speed, and no car that is sold in large ammounts in Europe will be well recieved here!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
rip_vw32 said:

did you miss the hybrid part? It gets over 60 MPG! Plus the possibility of running on biodiesel!

I *love* diesel cars, esp turbodiesel, its the only thing that VW does that I like besides the R32...........

·
Registered
487 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
The automakers realized a long time ago, to sell cars in the states, you better have consider performance and looks BEFORE gas mileage.
so thats why civic and camry's sell so well, they look SO GOOD and are SO FAST and have bad gas mileage!
thats for explaining that to me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts