Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think saturn did a terrible job of marketing the RL? I'm not complaining b/c like everyone else, I like having a car that is pretty rare, but a lot of people have not even heard of them. My friends didn't even know that they exixted before i started talking about them. Before recently, i dont think i ever saw a commercial or print ad for the RL. Just curious about what everyone thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey yo! I brought my R/L in Jersey & only saw 1 commercial & thats all. The dealer said they wanted "word of mouth" instead of marketing which hasen't made sense w/ me. I also remember seeing them on a show on MTV & thinking "damn" what kinda car was that?! Glad I made my choice!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yea I never really saw any commercials or ads for this car at all. I found out about it because I'm a car guy that reads into all the latest stuff coming out, so I heard about this from the internet, not ads.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The Ion itslef seems to be a fairly popular car. With such a competitive market, I imagine Saturn wants to appeal the car to as many individuals as possible. The Redline is one of several trims available for the Ion and is manufactured for a more specific market. I understand what you're saying, but I mean how many ads do you see specifically for focus SVTs, Civic Sis or Srt-4s?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Good point. There really aren't any ads out for the other cars in our sport compact group. I guess they probably figure that the people that want them are all into cars and have heard about them one way or another and will most likely be buying one, but since their such limited production as compared to the base models, the what could be millions to be spent on marketing wouldn't even be worth making the car.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I agree. I know I did a hell of alot of research and test driving before I bought the RL. But before looking into the market, I hadn't even heard of it. It's kind of hard not to stumble across a car when you're trying to explore all that a specific market has to offer.
I'm sure by now many more people are aware of the RL or at least have heard of it. But I still hate getting the grimace from someone when I tell them I drive a Saturn. Then I have to explain to them their misunderstanding, and all I usually get in reply is an "Oh."

·
Registered
122 Posts
But that grimace is why it's so fun when you beat the pants off of them. :D

I love it when I tell people I have a Saturn and they're like "oh." Most people don't realize first gen SC2s are Saturns, because they're so different looking from anything else Saturn has produced. I tend to get lots of compliments, and then blank stares when I say it's a Saturn.

You should see the reactions to our Red Line VUE. People are always like "that's a beautiful car, what is it?!" "It's a Saturn." "REALLY?"

Yes, it's a Saturn. And it's fast too!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had never heard of the RL until I was car shopping on the net and ended up on a cobalt site.I was looking for a SS cobalt and someone mentioned the RL as being about the same so I bought one.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In the past year I have seen maybe 3 commercials for the RL. Last week my husband seen the one with the BMW lined up next to a RL that people were talking about on this forum awhile back.

But Saturn really needs to up the marketing on the RL. I mean for the Cobalt I see at least 5 commercials in a 1/2 hour!

·
Registered
26 Posts
They have done some marketing...

I have seen print ads in maxim.
Web adds on Yahoo.
The Unforgettable BMW Bashing ad.
The center piece at the GM Bowl.

That seems like a lot of marketing for the number of cars that they actually have available to sell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I started seeing Billboards for the Ion Redline scattered around San Diego about 2 months after I bought my car.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
IeatRice said:
The Ion itslef seems to be a fairly popular car. With such a competitive market, I imagine Saturn wants to appeal the car to as many individuals as possible. The Redline is one of several trims available for the Ion and is manufactured for a more specific market. I understand what you're saying, but I mean how many ads do you see specifically for focus SVTs, Civic Sis or Srt-4s?
I've seen commercials for the Civic Si's, but now that I think about it, never for the SRT or the Focus SVT. Yet there are about 100 commercials a day here in Chicago for the Cobalt/LS/SS...

·
Registered
127 Posts
brk_05 said:
Does anyone else think saturn did a terrible job of marketing the RL? I'm not complaining b/c like everyone else, I like having a car that is pretty rare, but a lot of people have not even heard of them. My friends didn't even know that they exixted before i started talking about them. Before recently, i dont think i ever saw a commercial or print ad for the RL. Just curious about what everyone thought.
Not if you consider the fact that they only make around 5000 a year, would you put together a multimillion dollar campaign for something like that? It doesn't make sense fanancially.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hawflake said:
Not if you consider the fact that they only make around 5000 a year, would you put together a multimillion dollar campaign for something like that? It doesn't make sense fanancially.
well you would because people would see the redline and be like i want one and can't afford it and get a regular ion or another saturn... maybe saturn well kinda make us there flagship car

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I didn't know these puppies existed until I saw one at the PA Auto show and a week later I was signing the papers and taking mine home.

·
Registered
127 Posts
MrCleanY0 said:
I didn't know these puppies existed until I saw one at the PA Auto show and a week later I was signing the papers and taking mine home.
My story was similar, I didn't know they existed until I took my QC3 in for service and saw it in the show room. I was like: Supercharged?! 205HP?! The stick! The seats! A little bit of research later, armed with incentives and dealer vouchers, I traded in the QC3 and took the RL home on the same weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, from a business perspective word of mouth is always a gamble. But for us owners it's a fantastic move by Saturn. It's great to have this sleeper that not everone else and their Civic owning brother has. I kinda like that aspect of it and I think that is what Saturn was looking for - carve out a niche, get some people reinterested in Saturn, see more bodies in the showrooms buying VUEs, Auras and Skys.

They were hyping it up at the GM Auto Show in Motion shows that were run across the country. That's where I first test drove the RL and went and bought one the next day.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If they're really keeping the production numbers low, word-of-mouth is probably fine.

Saturn's market is really the soccermom and future soccermom. The vue and rally are for soccermoms that haul kiddles around en masse. And the ION is really aimed at the economy and "upscale economy" cars (Civics and Jettas).

So they cater to their core market and keep the redline around for image.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it's the limited production, a lot of companies do minimal marketing on these limited vehicles. I bought another very limited vehicle and there was one tv ad and a couple of magazine ads and that was it.
It's a Honda Valkyrie Rune, it's like no other motorcycle ever made,
1832cc FI Flat Six, nothing but wicked to ride. You can check it out at
http://www.metricmonsters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0
It's the bike in the middle with Dragons and blades painted on it, pic posting
date is March 16.

Brad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts