Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mention some time ago about a Saturn mod that was due out the first week of April. I was told the mod was completed in early March and was going through the duty test and should be out by the first week of April.

If you guys want to push them, pls call Saturn TAC in TN and inquiry about the upgrade. Tell them you want to talk to someone in TAC or engineering (don't talk to the operator, although she's reeeeaaaalllly nice) regarding the future of the RL cause your ready to trade it in from lack of after market support.

I know, but inquiry's like this would make them push it out sooner.

Power is in numbers................................ :D

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Rather just buy PSI-FIs Pulley Upgrade. It will make much more power. But, If you want a cheaper upgrade then by all means do it.

I personally don't think that they should care or are even obligated to offer upgrades for a car that they make.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have pulley kit demo from Unorthidox Raceing. They say they may put them on the market soon. I will check and see if they will fir on RL too. I curently have them on my CQ Turbo.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
You can't just swap the pulley, not to one with any real size change. We've been through it! Otherwise everyone here would already have a smaller pulley on the supercharger. The electronics need to be upgraded first, at least the fuel injectors and such. If you want to play around with a smaller pulley, go for it, but from everything I've seen and read, you will go dangerously lean. I'd love to find out that it's not true, but there seems to be too much evidence to point otherwise...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saturn Corp. says there is a small s/c pulley going to be available soon for it. If they said it, it's tru bro. I was in TN at Saturn school when they told us that.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
IronMan19K1O said:
Saturn Corp. says there is a small s/c pulley going to be available soon for it. If they said it, it's tru bro. I was in TN at Saturn school when they told us that.

Judging from what Psi-Fi has told us from their research, I hope to hell they are gonna do something to compensate for the lean conditions it's gonna cause.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
The injectors are maxed, the car can't boost over 14.7 PSI without a new MAP sensor, and It runs on the lean side stock. Do the math.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What do you know about the RL? Really.... What makes you think you know how much psi the s/c will put out w/ the new pulley? First of all Saturn would not manufacture something like that to fail. Second of all, I doubt it will put out more than 11 psi, 12psi at the most. They will get it right, just hold on your horses. Even if the have to replace the MAP sensor, it still won't cost must for a big difference in HP. The injectors can handle way more than you think... how many pounds you think the injectors push?

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
The Supercharger makes 12psi stock.

While I don't have the number off hand I believe Adam and SCDyne was the one who said the Injectors were very close to being maxxed out.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
IronMan19K1O said:
That's a true believer right here folks! They also said the Comp Package would be ready 3 months ago...

I found the part numbers listed in the SCCA for more than just a pulley change from Saturn Corp, not the newest news. There's allowance in the SCCA rulebook for factory supplied 'upgrades' that included a pulley, aftercooler, springs, and some other things. So far, no one at Saturn can confirm this for me, and the part numbers listed with the SCCA were id'ed as experimental part number designations. This was months ago, and there is still no existing part numbers or announcements about it, at least none that any of the people that work for Saturn on this forum have mentioned.

If you haven't been around for the discussions with the guys that are almost ready to release a big supercharger upgrade, then maybe you should read through those posts. They have no faith, whatsoever, that you can just step down the pulley and away you go. They say that the car is running WAY too lean to begin with for their tastes, and since the injectors are pretty much maxed out already, there's not much, if any, room to just stuff more air in. You have to have enough capacity in the fuel injectors, and the tuning in the ECM to allow this change in air. The Redline does not have this capacity. I suppose they could be lying about this and losing out on the profits for 3 months now, but I doubt it...

·
Registered
44 Posts
The s/c doesn't make 12psi ! thats BS dude. My boost gage only reads alittle over 10psi and I know for a fact that factory says 9psi. Do you research before you post dude.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
IronMan19K1O said:
The s/c doesn't make 12psi ! thats BS dude. My boost gage only reads alittle over 10psi and I know for a fact that factory says 9psi. Do you research before you post dude.
What the **** are you talking about?? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response... anyone else want to field this?

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Sp00ner said:
What the **** are you talking about?? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response... anyone else want to field this?
I'm not going to touch this either.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
This is too easy... I hope you don't ever work on my car....

The 2004 ION Red Line's Ecotec 2.0-liter supercharged engine, mated to a five-speed manual transmission, will produce an estimated 200 horsepower.

The all-aluminum dual overhead cam, four-cylinder Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is built off the strengths of the original naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2-liter engine introduced in the 2000 Saturn L-Series. The Ecotec 2.0L SC has a four-valve cylinder head, maintenance-free chain-driven camshafts, counter-rotating balance shafts and an integrated oil cooler.

The addition of the Eaton M62 supercharger allows the blower to spin at a lower rpm, which improves durability and creates less noise while allowing for plenty of top end power. Power delivery of the supercharged engine is instantaneous. Maximum boost of the supercharger is 12 psi.

"We are extremely pleased with the outcome of Ecotec 2.0L SC," said Grant Brady, GM Powertrain system engineer. "We leveraged the knowledge of the Saab 2.0-liter turbo performance variant, GM Racing experience and the strengths of the naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2-liter. With this launch pad, we designed our supercharged variant for reliable compact performance."

Global knowledge was used extensively in the development of the Ecotec 2.0L SC. GM has years of experience with Eaton superchargers in the high-volume 3800 Series II SC V-6 engines used in mid-size vehicles. This engine will also be produced in the same assembly facilities as other base Ecotec engines using common manufacturing processes and quality controls as opposed to being upfitted by an outside supplier.

Key components that carry over from the Saab 2.0-liter engine into the Ecotec 2.0L SC include direct mount oil cooler, oil jets for piston cooling, heavy duty pistons, stronger connecting rods, forged steel crankshaft, larger oil sump, sodium filled exhaust valves for improved durability, and a high strength aluminum cylinder head.

The Ecotec four-cylinder engine family is GM's first truly global engine family. The four-valve overhead cam family delivers excellent fuel economy and low emissions in a dependable, durable package with low noise and vibration. The Ecotec 2.2-liter debuted in the 2000 Saturn L-series and is currently available in the Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire and Grand Am, Olds Alero, Saturn ION and VUE. It is also used in several European applications, including the Opel Vectra, Astra and Zafira models. The Ecotec 2.2-liter was recently announced as the standard power in the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu and a direct injection gas version of the Ecotec 2.0-liter will be available in the 2004 Opel Signum.

2004 Ecotec 2.0 Liter Supercharged Engine
Preliminary Specifications

Type: 2.0L inline 4-cylinder with supercharger
Displacement: 1998 cc
Compression ratio: 9.5:1
Valve configuration: Dual overhead camshafts (4 valves per cylinder)
Valve lifters: Hydraulic roller finger follower
Firing order: 1-3-4-2
Bore & stroke: 86 x 86 mm
Bore ctr. to ctr.: 96 mm
Supercharger: Eaton M62 helical roots compressor
Intercooler: Water to air
Max boost pressure: 12 psi
Pulley ratio: 1.85:1
Oil cooling: Oil cooled pistons and direct mount oil cooler
Fuel type: Gasoline (premium unleaded recommended)
Fuel system: Sequential fuel injection with high pressure (56 psi)
Fuel shut off: 6500 rpm
Intake manifold: High flow, low restriction with integrated intercooler system
Throttle body: 68-mm electronic throttle control
Ignition system: High energy coil-on-plug
Horsepower: 200 hp @ 6200 (estimate - final figures in fall 2003)
Torque: (lb-ft): 200 lb-ft @ 4400 (estimate - final figures in fall 2003)
Spark plugs: Platinum tip (1.5-mm gap )
Oil: 5W30 / 7 quarts with filter change

Materials
Block: Aluminum lost foam casting
Cylinder head: Aluminum semi-permanent mold casting
Intake manifold: Aluminum
Crankshaft: Forged steel with induction hardened fillet
Camshafts: Cast iron
Connecting Rods: Forged steel
Pistons: High strength aluminum
Assembly site: Kaiserslautern, Germany

*Yawn*

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
If that's not enough for you, I can give you a link to Eaton's website with the precise specs on the blower, including what psi it generates at what RPM. Do your research before you post....

Truth be told...

·
Registered
291 Posts
that was beautiful spooner

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Oh! Now you're confused are you? I don't know where you get you're info, you claim to be a Saturn tech, but the ones that are already on here do not say practically anything that coincides with things you are saying. Not to mention all of these things are common everyday information to the people on these boards, it's not like I'm some genuis. If you're a Saturn tech, you better learn about the fuckin car that you work on, because if I walked into Saturn and had this same debate with you, I'd be outraged that you were working on my car...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts