Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shocked to say, but I received a new 05 RL late yesterday afternoon from the Saturn of Carrollwood dealership. They called me late yesterday morning to make an offer. Once accepted, they had me drive to their dealership in Tampa where they had a new Chili Pepper Red RL with most of my options (no advanced Audio, which wasn't all that advanced) and the wing spoiler my 04 didn't have. All in all, an extremely great deal.

I contributed $1500 toward the exchange and Saturn gave $1500 and the Carrollwood dealership gave $1500 to cover the loss of a year older vehicle. Then I got 0% financing to lower my monthly payments by $22/month! This and the eight hour drive (round trip from Ft. Lauderdale) were worth every bit to get this car! I compare it to driving to Tallahasse after winning the Florida Lottery to pick up the check!!!

Immediately, I noticed the difference in each car, as the 05 clutch was smoother, as was braking and engine performance. Even my wife remarked how this car felt so much better and smoother. Can you tell I'm a wee bit happier?!?

I encourage anyone considering an RL to purchase an 05 and not an 04 leftover. Just my experience, but the discounted price of the vehicle wasn't worth the aggravation I experienced. I hope to have this puppy for a long while! Thanks to all those who encouraged me to keep on fighting (especially Spooner) and if you are looking for a great dealership and live near Tampa, I would encourage you to try out Saturn of Carrollwood. Much thanks to Jimmy Snyder of the Ed Morse Automotive Group and especially Lou Costanza, General Manager of Saturn of Carrollwood for honoring their "People First" motto!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dazednconfused75 said:
Some of us have put many happy problem free miles on our '04s. Sometimes cars are just lemons, it'll happen to an '05 too.

You're probably right, but I've read about alot more 04s with issues than 05 cars. You can say that it's because there were more 04s sold, but even the two Saturn engineers I have spoken with in the last two weeks admitted that they've made little "tweeks" to the 04 when it came to the 05 model year. They didn't elaborate and I didn't ask, because at that point I didn't even want to consider getting another RL. Funny how things can change in a few days.

In my opinion the 05 I got last night drives like night and day to the 04 I turned in. Again, it may be because my 04 truly was a Lemon, but I think my problems were due to compounded poor repairs to the brake system leading to problems with the clutch (as Spooner pointed out, these systems share the same resevoir and fluid). Anyways, best of luck with your 04.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
a few brackets are different, but there baysicly the same exact car

·
Registered
416 Posts
jfelser said:
You're probably right, but I've read about alot more 04s with issues than 05 cars. You can say that it's because there were more 04s sold, but even the two Saturn engineers I have spoken with in the last two weeks admitted that they've made little "tweeks" to the 04 when it came to the 05 model year. They didn't elaborate and I didn't ask, because at that point I didn't even want to consider getting another RL. Funny how things can change in a few days.

In my opinion the 05 I got last night drives like night and day to the 04 I turned in. Again, it may be because my 04 truly was a Lemon, but I think my problems were due to compounded poor repairs to the brake system leading to problems with the clutch (as Spooner pointed out, these systems share the same resevoir and fluid). Anyways, best of luck with your 04.
Your experience is different from most. You got a lemon so of course the difference is night and day. Most of us have had few problems and when we did have a problem, it was immediately resolved.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
jfelser said:
I'm shocked to say, but I received a new 05 RL late yesterday afternoon from the Saturn of Carrollwood dealership. They called me late yesterday morning to make an offer. Once accepted, they had me drive to their dealership in Tampa where they had a new Chili Pepper Red RL with most of my options (no advanced Audio, which wasn't all that advanced) and the wing spoiler my 04 didn't have. All in all, an extremely great deal.

I contributed $1500 toward the exchange and Saturn gave $1500 and the Carrollwood dealership gave $1500 to cover the loss of a year older vehicle. Then I got 0% financing to lower my monthly payments by $22/month! This and the eight hour drive (round trip from Ft. Lauderdale) were worth every bit to get this car! I compare it to driving to Tallahasse after winning the Florida Lottery to pick up the check!!!

Immediately, I noticed the difference in each car, as the 05 clutch was smoother, as was braking and engine performance. Even my wife remarked how this car felt so much better and smoother. Can you tell I'm a wee bit happier?!?

I encourage anyone considering an RL to purchase an 05 and not an 04 leftover. Just my experience, but the discounted price of the vehicle wasn't worth the aggravation I experienced. I hope to have this puppy for a long while! Thanks to all those who encouraged me to keep on fighting (especially Spooner) and if you are looking for a great dealership and live near Tampa, I would encourage you to try out Saturn of Carrollwood. Much thanks to Jimmy Snyder of the Ed Morse Automotive Group and especially Lou Costanza, General Manager of Saturn of Carrollwood for honoring their "People First" motto!

Good job man! Thank god that's over for ya!

I'm sure they worked a few bugs out for the '05s, but they have the issues as well. My '05 was in the shop less than a week after I bought it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
a few brackets are different, but there baysicly the same exact car

there were over 100 changes to the Ion in general 04/05 nothing looks significant performance wise other than MAYBE the downpipe and clutch.

This was taken from partsspec.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Good job man! Thank god that's over for ya!

I'm sure they worked a few bugs out for the '05s, but they have the issues as well. My '05 was in the shop less than a week after I bought it.

My '04 has yet to see the inside of the shop.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I went to get my oil changed today and actually had a sales rep tell me that there IS a difference in the 04s and 05s clutch/transmission assembly. He didn't remember exactly what the difference was but I tell anyone with an 04 to go test drive an 05 if they don't believe that something has changed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jfelser said:
Can you tell I'm a wee bit happier?!?
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you. I've been sending people to the local Saturn facility for too many years not to feel bad when someone has problems. Hope your 05 will be 100% problem-free and a joy to drive for many years to come.

f.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
My '04 has yet to see the inside of the shop.
Me too. almost 8000 miles and not a thing has gone wrong. Arcade helped me figure out that mine was made between #94 & # 125, so I have one of the first ones. I have been wondering if the ones with all the problems were the ones made in June when they made over 1500 of them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 04 was one of the June babies, made on the 23rd. You may be right in your line of thinking. Have they determined how many 05s will be built or are they still hoping to get a surge of buyers in the final part of the model year? Just wondering if anybody knows how many of the 05 RLs are scheduled to be built. I heard it was something like 1500 total for the model run.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts