Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I change a serpentine belt I always put the old one with the spare tire in case of breakage. I've never actually had one break but it's free insurance against getting gouged having to buy one in the middle of nowhere.

It got me thinking about the Redline's SC. Most cars can be driven a short distance with a broken belt. Will the RL even run without the belt? Can air pass through the SC if its not turning? Would it just spin to let air through? If not, it would seem wise to carry a spare. I'm not sure how common the double-sided belts are. It might take some time to get one if you weren't near a Saturn dealer. Just curious if anyone knows.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but since both belts broke on my Grand Prix GTP (has a separate one for the SC) I can speak from some experience.
The supercharger is belt driven so if the belt breaks the SC will not spin. That on it's own won't cause any damage but you will lose all of the extra power. Your car will run very hot and that can obviously cause serious damage including the engine seizing. For a short distance you should be ok bu keep it as short as possible.

Your idea of keeping the old belt is a good one.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
geokots said:
I'm not 100% sure but since both belts broke on my Grand Prix GTP (has a separate one for the SC) I can speak from some experience.
The supercharger is belt driven so if the belt breaks the SC will not spin. That on it's own won't cause any damage but you will lose all of the extra power. Your car will run very hot and that can obviously cause serious damage including the engine seizing. For a short distance you should be ok bu keep it as short as possible.

Your idea of keeping the old belt is a good one.
Overheating is a concern with most cars due to the belt driven water pump. But it seems safer to me to at least drive a mile or two to get off the freeway or out of harms way. You can usually get away with it by watching the temp gauge. I know people who have tried to drive without oil pressure though. That is bad news.

The Ecotec water pump is internal and driven from the cam chain (as were the old SAABs I owned). If air can pass through the SC without it being driven, you should be able to drive as long as you have enough battery volts. Did your GTP run with just the broken SC belt?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Both belts broke. One must have got caught in the other and broke it. Yes it did run but got hot quick. I managed to get to the nearest automotive centre around 10 klm away. I did stop a couple time to let it cool down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts