Golf/Jetta/GLI 24V VR6 (‘02+)
R32​
Volvo
S60R (‘03+)
V70R (‘03+)​

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can't WAIT to auto-x the red line. I just ordered mine today (with the competition package!!!!) and it should be here mid may. I wonder if w/ the LSD i'll be moved a class? or if i can just sneak in under just being a red line. Either way, i think it'll be a lot faster than my cavalier... even with over $2000 worth of suspension mods!

·
Registered
888 Posts
CSCC 148 said:
Yup. And the only ones to really worry about are the INtegra Type-R and the BMW 330. The Type R is my main nemisis in the San Diego Region SCCA events. So far, I beat him once and he beat me once. :mad:

Then again, any one of those cars with a top level driver will whip on a Redline if the Redline driver is lacking skillz, yo. :rolleyes: :p
I think half those cars with equal drivers could take a redline, unless you are an amazing driver the redline isn't by any means on top of that list.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It'll be tough. The CTS is a damn fast car, and so is the Audi. I don't know......but I can't wait to find out!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Most of the cars on that list are too heavy with too little tire to help it handle well. Driver skill always comes into play in Solo 2. The Audi is WAY too heavy. Looking over the list, I still say the only cars to worry about on the list are the Type-R and the BMWs. The SRT-4 only has 6 inch wide wheels, and too soft springs. The CTS is a fun car, but nothing special about it.

I never said the Redline was on the top of the list, but having driven most of the cars on the list, it is in the better third as far a handling goes. And Solo 2 rewards handling much more than hp ratings.

Tell me which car you think will be better than the Redline in Solo 2 (other than the ones I've mentioned). I'm interested to know.

The 05 will still be in DS. Mine is an 05 anyway--even though it's mislabled as a 04 on the solo2 website.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
CSCC 148 said:
Most of the cars on that list are too heavy with too little tire to help it handle well. Driver skill always comes into play in Solo 2. The Audi is WAY too heavy. Looking over the list, I still say the only cars to worry about on the list are the Type-R and the BMWs. The SRT-4 only has 6 inch wide wheels, and too soft springs. The CTS is a fun car, but nothing special about it.

I never said the Redline was on the top of the list, but having driven most of the cars on the list, it is in the better third as far a handling goes. And Solo 2 rewards handling much more than hp ratings.

Tell me which car you think will be better than the Redline in Solo 2 (other than the ones I've mentioned). I'm interested to know.

The 05 will still be in DS. Mine is an 05 anyway--even though it's mislabled as a 04 on the solo2 website.
Most of those cars are not suited to the incredibly small autocross style courses either. If you put those cars on a road course with ours, it would be different, but having a torquey supercharged engine, and CSCC has the LSD in there now, I think he'd gonna clean up pretty well. We already saw the one posting with the autox results. The Redline was 11th, finishing ahead of some cars that are considered 'much better' by a lot of people...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Okay, so I got all the SCCA info for the local chapter here in Colorado. I have a couple of really dumb questions.......How much does it really cost? I mean I see the Nat'l fees and the local fees, but then I read (I think) that I have to take classes and such. I don't wanna look like an ass, I kinda want the answers before the first time I show up. And how does it all work? Are you assigned track time, just show up? Just curious to see what others have experienced......

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
Okay, so I got all the SCCA info for the local chapter here in Colorado. I have a couple of really dumb questions.......How much does it really cost? I mean I see the Nat'l fees and the local fees, but then I read (I think) that I have to take classes and such. I don't wanna look like an ass, I kinda want the answers before the first time I show up. And how does it all work? Are you assigned track time, just show up? Just curious to see what others have experienced......
Yea, it's a little strange at first. I ended up joining a different club around here in Chicago. They do more road-racing than the SCCA, which likes to do the autox events more. The guy I contacted said that they were limiting road courses to wheel-to-wheel events. Which you have to have extensive safety equipment and such. Make sure you checking the Solo II(?) events. I know it's Solo somthing or other.

·
Registered
888 Posts
CSCC 148 said:

I am going to have to disagree with the tire width thing. This has been debated a million times and the only advantage of a wider tire is that you can have less weight on the sidewall so it doesn't give in as much. Tire width really has nothing to do with it, sure it has a bigger contact patch, but less weight is distributed to each inch of the contact patch where as if you had a more narrow tire it would have more weight concentrated on a smaller area, in the end they are both going to have equal amounts of total friction. Take the Elise and NSX for example, both are extremely good handling cars with pretty narrow tires. I know it sounds silly but i have read over tons of information on physics of tires and the only advantage to a wider tire is that less force is put on any given part of the sidewall. One last thing with a wider tire they don't get as hot cause there is more area for the heat to disperse.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
I am going to have to disagree with the tire width thing. This has been debated a million times and the only advantage of a wider tire is that you can have less weight on the sidewall so it doesn't give in as much. Tire width really has nothing to do with it, sure it has a bigger contact patch, but less weight is distributed to each inch of the contact patch where as if you had a more narrow tire it would have more weight concentrated on a smaller area, in the end they are both going to have equal amounts of total friction. Take the Elise and NSX for example, both are extremely good handling cars with pretty narrow tires. I know it sounds silly but i have read over tons of information on physics of tires and the only advantage to a wider tire is that less force is put on any given part of the sidewall. One last thing with a wider tire they don't get as hot cause there is more area for the heat to disperse.
Ok, you can't compare any of the cars on that list to an Elise or an NSX for one. The Elise, for it's size, has huge tires on it, I don't know jack about the NSX though.

I'm not sure how you present that evidence, and conclude that a wider tire dosen't help you much. From the points you presented here, there is a few things that having a wider tire does for you, particuarly in an Autox situation where the sidewall is under constant stress. Not to mention that if each sq inch of the contact patch has less weight to manipulate than a thinner tire, this will result in better response to driver input. Which is invaluable in an autox situation...

Plus you're leaving out any mention of the benefit of a larger contact patch for accel and braking. I can't believe that you're suggesting that a narrow tire has no effect on those factors...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Ok, you can't compare any of the cars on that list to an Elise or an NSX for one. The Elise, for it's size, has huge tires on it, I don't know jack about the NSX though.

I'm not sure how you present that evidence, and conclude that a wider tire dosen't help you much. From the points you presented here, there is a few things that having a wider tire does for you, particuarly in an Autox situation where the sidewall is under constant stress. Not to mention that if each sq inch of the contact patch has less weight to manipulate than a thinner tire, this will result in better response to driver input. Which is invaluable in an autox situation...

Plus you're leaving out any mention of the benefit of a larger contact patch for accel and braking. I can't believe that you're suggesting that a narrow tire has no effect on those factors...

simple physics. Friction has nothing to do with surface area. It has to do with mass and acceleration. If you have a really wide tire or a really narrow tire you are still going to have the same amount of traction. As far as drag racing goes, they put really wide tires on dragsters cause of the intense heat, at your level a really wide tire won't do anything for you. The only positive of having a wider tire at your level in auto cross is that you have a stiffer sidewall,but you always have more un sprung weight do to having a wider tire which in fact could hurt you more then that little bit extra stiffness that your sidewall has. Trust me i graduated college with a major and a minor degree in two different sciences, i took plently of physics classes. How wide your tires are will not help you one bit at your level in auto x. Why can't you compare any of those cars on that list to an elise or an NSX they both have very narrow tires and they both pull amazing G's. Tire compound is more important, but not tire width, plus just cause these other cars don't have tires as wide as yours doesn't mean they don't have tires alot better then yours.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
simple physics. Friction has nothing to do with surface area. It has to do with mass and acceleration. If you have a really wide tire or a really narrow tire you are still going to have the same amount of traction. As far as drag racing goes, they put really wide tires on dragsters cause of the intense heat, at your level a really wide tire won't do anything for you. The only positive of having a wider tire at your level in auto cross is that you have a stiffer sidewall,but you always have more un sprung weight do to having a wider tire which in fact could hurt you more then that little bit extra stiffness that your sidewall has. Trust me i graduated college with a major and a minor degree in two different sciences, i took plently of physics classes. How wide your tires are will not help you one bit at your level in auto x. Why can't you compare any of those cars on that list to an elise or an NSX they both have very narrow tires and they both pull amazing G's. Tire compound is more important, but not tire width, plus just cause these other cars don't have tires as wide as yours doesn't mean they don't have tires alot better then yours.
Ok, if you say so, I graduated college with degrees in two different sciences as well. That means jack. My brother in law is a rocket scientist, but he dosen't know shit about cars. I'd like to know where you read this information that pertains specifically to tire width. I would like to check it out for myself. Without going into a full on debate on physics on a chat board, I have a hard time swallowing what you're telling me. Not saying that you're wrong, but something this opposed to what people are used to is a bit much to swallow.

About the Elise though, it has wider tires than my car, and weighs over a thousand pounds less. I'd have to say that is NOT a small tire. It might be a small tire in the world of tires, but adjusted for weight between the two cars, its HUGE. 225 45 17's on an 8" rim is not small for that car.

The NSX runs 245 40 17's on there, again, not even close to a small tires.

I don't disagree that larger tires ALWAYS mean better grip, but I have a hard time believing that they don't provide more grip. When I changed from my stock 195 55 15's on my Camaro to my 255 40 17's, there was a HUGE change in steering response, braking quality, lateral grip and I picked up .1 0-60. With no other changes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
He is absoloutly correct (Spooner)....I didn't believe it either, untill I actully saw a tire manufacturer show me why.....I also had a hard time believing that no moving surfaces actually ever touch (friction again) and it was the same tire manufacturer again.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's not just about tire width, it also has to do with the weight of the car, which spooner already addressed. Spring rates, etc, and how well the car uses the contact patch, also matters.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
He is absoloutly correct (Spooner)....I didn't believe it either, untill I actully saw a tire manufacturer show me why.....I also had a hard time believing that no moving surfaces actually ever touch (friction again) and it was the same tire manufacturer again.....
I don't think that he's wrong, I just think that there has to be some more information or variables in there. There has to be some reason world renowned race teams put wider tires on there. If it's just the heat dissapation, then what are the effects of that on a small vs. large tire. Does the tire lose grip once it gets too hot? I know I've been told that a real hot tire almost melts off the car under hard driving. So it it just a matter of durability or what? I've always been uninformed about tires, no reason to lie about it, but there must be some reason that they put those big ass tires on there. Otherwise, they could save $$$ and put it somewhere else.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I don't think that he's wrong, I just think that there has to be some more information or variables in there. There has to be some reason world renowned race teams put wider tires on there. If it's just the heat dissapation, then what are the effects of that on a small vs. large tire. Does the tire lose grip once it gets too hot? I know I've been told that a real hot tire almost melts off the car under hard driving. So it it just a matter of durability or what? I've always been uninformed about tires, no reason to lie about it, but there must be some reason that they put those big ass tires on there. Otherwise, they could save $$$ and put it somewhere else.
Ok i also had large tires on my supra before i knew this. I had 275s in the rear and 245s in the front so i also thought a wider tire meant better grip at one point. Here is the thing, there are advantages to a wider tire, but they have nothing to do with grip. There are also disadvantages. If you took the same brand tire and took a 205 and a 275 you aren't going to gain any extra grip, what you are going to gain is a larger area to displace the amount of weight being forced on the sidewall, which in turn will help the car around sharp turns, but you aren't gaining any frictional traction. Another advantage of a larger tire is that there is more surface area to disperse the heat so that the tire does not get tooo hot and lose its ability to keep traction. The sidewall and the heat are the two reason why a wider tire is better. Now there are also disadvantages. One being that a wider tire of the same brand is going to be heavier, and extra weight on the wheels makes a huge difference in a cars acceleartion and deceleration. If you have more weight on your rims you are going to def see a difference in the starting and stopping of your car, since weight on the tires effects the car much more then weight anywhere else when it comes to acceleration. Most fancy cars you see have wider tires for the simple reason that they have the extra power to push those tires and they look really cool. I love the look of a wider tire in fact i am going to put a wider tire on the car i am currently driving but i know its not going to enhance the handling of the car. Its hard to grasp the concept and when i first thought about it, i thought for sure there was no way a wider tire couldn't give you more traction, but the more i looking into the physics of it the more i realized that your traction is based 100 percent on friction and friction is based on force (weight of your car) and acceleration, but not area. with a wider tire you just have less force on any given point of the tire, in which a more narrow tire has more force on any given point. Another reason they use wider tires in racing is because there is more surface area so the tires take longer to wear out so they don't need to make as many pit stops. In racing a wider tire does give you an advantage if you are doing 40 laps around a track or running 10 second 1/4 mile times, but for a stock 14 second car that is just doing a little auto x its really not going to help you. Try it out, do a few runs down the track, then throw on a set of tires a few sizes bigger, make sure its the same brand, im sure when you put different tires on you camaro it was a different brand, and thats probably the reason why it help, or you could have just drove it better or it could have just been running better. I didn't expect people to really agree with this post since i was in total disbelief the first time someone told me but its actually true, look into it a little more and you will realize something as hard to believe as a wider tire not giving you anymore traction then a more narrow tire is actually true.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
Ok i also had large tires on my supra before i knew this. I had 275s in the rear and 245s in the front so i also thought a wider tire meant better grip at one point. Here is the thing, there are advantages to a wider tire, but they have nothing to do with grip. There are also disadvantages. If you took the same brand tire and took a 205 and a 275 you aren't going to gain any extra grip, what you are going to gain is a larger area to displace the amount of weight being forced on the sidewall, which in turn will help the car around sharp turns, but you aren't gaining any frictional traction. Another advantage of a larger tire is that there is more surface area to disperse the heat so that the tire does not get tooo hot and lose its ability to keep traction. The sidewall and the heat are the two reason why a wider tire is better. Now there are also disadvantages. One being that a wider tire of the same brand is going to be heavier, and extra weight on the wheels makes a huge difference in a cars acceleartion and deceleration. If you have more weight on your rims you are going to def see a difference in the starting and stopping of your car, since weight on the tires effects the car much more then weight anywhere else when it comes to acceleration. Most fancy cars you see have wider tires for the simple reason that they have the extra power to push those tires and they look really cool. I love the look of a wider tire in fact i am going to put a wider tire on the car i am currently driving but i know its not going to enhance the handling of the car. Its hard to grasp the concept and when i first thought about it, i thought for sure there was no way a wider tire couldn't give you more traction, but the more i looking into the physics of it the more i realized that your traction is based 100 percent on friction and friction is based on force (weight of your car) and acceleration, but not area. with a wider tire you just have less force on any given point of the tire, in which a more narrow tire has more force on any given point. Another reason they use wider tires in racing is because there is more surface area so the tires take longer to wear out so they don't need to make as many pit stops. In racing a wider tire does give you an advantage if you are doing 40 laps around a track or running 10 second 1/4 mile times, but for a stock 14 second car that is just doing a little auto x its really not going to help you. Try it out, do a few runs down the track, then throw on a set of tires a few sizes bigger, make sure its the same brand, im sure when you put different tires on you camaro it was a different brand, and thats probably the reason why it help, or you could have just drove it better or it could have just been running better. I didn't expect people to really agree with this post since i was in total disbelief the first time someone told me but its actually true, look into it a little more and you will realize something as hard to believe as a wider tire not giving you anymore traction then a more narrow tire is actually true.
Makes total sense, man, I just wanted a little more of an explantion about it. It reminds me of the time I told people that bigger exhuast pipes dont always make more power, that was a good one.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Makes total sense, man, I just wanted a little more of an explantion about it. It reminds me of the time I told people that bigger exhuast pipes dont always make more power, that was a good one.
Yeah they can really hurt an NA car, but on a Turbo car and i would assume a supercharged car they do help, i could be wrong about a supercharged car though, im sure you would know though :)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
Yeah they can really hurt an NA car, but on a Turbo car and i would assume a supercharged car they do help, i could be wrong about a supercharged car though, im sure you would know though :)
I was dead wrong about it to begin with, I argued with Goofy and some other people for hours about it, then I got a book and read about it for myself. Turns out I was 75% wrong about it. Just like you said, can really hurt a N/A car, but you can't get too big on forced induction motors. Particuarly in the headers/collectors and the first part of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Raced Today

Well I raced today for the first time in my RL. I was alot of fun. I had a lot of tire spin coming out of the corners. I finshed first in my class. Which is great. But I hated to see a SC2 out run my time by 2 seconds. But he had alot better tires and racing shocks and springs. So I can understand after spinning my tires so much coming off the corners. I had 6 runs and decrease my time by about a second a run. So I'm wish I had the LSD and other things but over all I'm happy with my first run. What are you guys running for tire pressure? I was running 43psi front and 36psi in the rear and that seem to work pretty good for me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts